The Audio Standard Forum.

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Caps Lock

Re: The Audio Standard Forum.

Unread post by Caps Lock » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:44 pm

I've noticed on various system pics they like to sit side on, strange.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Caps Lock wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:44 pm
It's to save the ears. Can only fuck up one ear sitting side on. :lol:

scotty38
Great Britain

Unread post by scotty38 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Caps Lock wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:44 pm
Saves having to look at them :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:19 pm

It is my old argument about are you looking for hi-fi or music. And most people don't even understand the question, but it is fundamental.

I sat watching people listening at Lurch's to those speakers and enjoying them and thinking I was going mad. It is only when you back out the hi-fi bullshit cul-de-sac do you find real music again.

scotty38
Great Britain

Unread post by scotty38 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Yes but it's complex... HiFi is a hobby too and there will be folk with tens of thousands of pounds worth of kit and a handful of "test records" and then there will be someone with an old Dansette and tens of thousands of records. Somewhere in between the two the music hobby turns into a HiFi hobby....

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:51 pm

I can't accept that, that hi-fi is a delusion, a pursuit of the unobtainable and the more you pursue it then it loses the point and reason you started it. There are lots or people who are pursuing their music yet call it hi-fi, that is just confused semantics. It strikes me the big culprit in this is speakers but it applies to other things in the system.

For me it is so natural yet extremely difficult to explain and hi-fi people say "of course I am pursuing music" no they are pursuing a sound and music is the medium the music is getting lost. For example those *things* at Lurches were a sharp in yer face home PA system just designed to impress, not give you the music. When people get cured of the disease or drop out of the brainwash it becomes obvious, but the brainwash runs deep. Some will never let go and either it becomes part of ego so they must be right in their choices = Marco syndrome, or they go round and round in circles, and can even make a hobby of it = Jerry.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:07 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:51 pm
I can't accept that, that hi-fi is a delusion, a pursuit of the unobtainable and the more you pursue it then it loses the point and reason you started it. There are lots or people who are pursuing their music yet call it hi-fi, that is just confused semantics. It strikes me the big culprit in this is speakers but it applies to other things in the system.

For me it is so natural yet extremely difficult to explain and hi-fi people say "of course I am pursuing music" no they are pursuing a sound and music is the medium the music is getting lost. For example those *things* at Lurches were a sharp in yer face home PA system just designed to impress, not give you the music. When people get cured of the disease or drop out of the brainwash it becomes obvious, but the brainwash runs deep. Some will never let go and either it becomes part of ego so they must be right in their choices = Marco syndrome, or they go round and round in circles, and can even make a hobby of it = Jerry.
I think I had a similar experience to the Lurch bake off at my recent Mscaler demo at a dealer. The 3K Spendor floor standers took a lot away and to all intents and purposes it was the music. The sound had a closer resembelence to my low cost second system at home than my main system.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Mscaler/Qutest, Geitnote Apogee, NVA BMU, P90SA, A80sMk2, Phono 1, SSP Mk 2, TSCS, TIS mk2, Cube 1s, Atacama stands, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, Grado SR 325e, headphones.

Second system
Chord Mojo (also HP amp), NVA P20, A20, Cubettes, SSC, LS3.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:55 pm

CN211276 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:07 am

I think I had a similar experience to the Lurch bake off at my recent Mscaler demo at a dealer. The 3K Spendor floor standers took a lot away and to all intents and purposes it was the music. The sound had a closer resembelence to my low cost second system at home than my main system.
Don't be so quick to lay blame totally at the Spendors! Were they NVA driven and how were they set in the room? Derek Hughes, who designed the lush toned models of the 80's and 90's, left the company when the current team took over in the early noughties and from the 'S' series onwards, they've sounded rather different and better ime.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:19 pm

The amp was the Rega Elicit which I believe is very capable and the DAC was the same as I have. Although the sparse room played a part I am convinced the problem was the speakers. Compared to Cubes the music did not seem together, for want of a better word, with a lack of deep bass and a very narrow sweet spot. I was very familiar with all the music and it did not sound right.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Mscaler/Qutest, Geitnote Apogee, NVA BMU, P90SA, A80sMk2, Phono 1, SSP Mk 2, TSCS, TIS mk2, Cube 1s, Atacama stands, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, Grado SR 325e, headphones.

Second system
Chord Mojo (also HP amp), NVA P20, A20, Cubettes, SSC, LS3.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:23 pm

They are still musically shite - full stop. Designed by people with technical certificates (proving they know feck all but convention) and employed and told what to do by accountants and marketing men all of whom it seems know feck-all about music.