The Audio Standard Forum.

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: The Audio Standard Forum.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm

YES HE DID - both you and DQ do not understand, and I am the last person to support Martin, but in this case what he said is correct. The DC blocker used is designed and made by Lurcher (Nick) of this province, so perhaps he will intercept and comment. We can all be wrong DC, this has nothing to do with ego it is about THE TRUTH.

Nick gave me one of his DC blocker circuit boards to build in a BMU to see what difference it made. Well when the DC here is on my mains (varies during the day) it stopped the primary coil of the BMU buzzing, but I detected a drop in levels of musical information from the system so it was doing something else, but it was a very very small drop near to the level of perception, I would think most systems wouldn't show it. It is a very fine DC blocker that works, who's only problem is the ridiculous mark up that MCRU puts on the finished product.

Basically a regenerator converts AC to DC so the extra DC is bound to mess with it to a degree depending on design. It then converts it back to AC. There are different ways to do this but they all basically follow that format.

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm

If anybody can hear the difference between a ps audio 10k egenerator and it and a dc blocker, I will show you a deluded man or perhaps a liar
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm

We arn't talking about your BMU, I know nothing about that. The generator is firstly a transformer, the secondary is where the regeneration circuits are, but that first transformer removes all trace of DC, and after all, it is regenerated into a pure sinewave. Have a look at PS Audio's web site ?

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 pm

FFS you are an argumentative bastard :lol: I don't have a regenerator, but I do have the DC blocker circuit board involved, which you don't have, so just trying to educate a blocked mind. OBVIOUSLY I used it with a NVA BMU. It is you that doesn't understand the circuit. Contact PS Audio and ask them what a high level DC will do to the unit, perhaps you will believe them. Of greater danger is what it does to motors, it damages them and causes them to burn out, Grenfell Tower !!?

You will continue this as it is your want as your ego has been disturbed and you always have to be right, well sadly in this case you aren't. So I drop out at this point, far be it for me to defend Martin T - the man is an arse so get on with it.

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 pm

I will talk with PS Audio on Monday afternoon when they are in the office in Bolder, but before I do we (Martin) were talking of a few volts DC, you mention a "high level" what do you mean numerical in this ? My whole thrust was about Martin's situation, not anything else, BMU's included.

On their website they do say "In the process of regeneration any problems on your power line such as low voltage, distorted waveforms, sagging power and noise are eliminated."

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:44 pm

5v or above

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Dave Cawley wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm
We aren't talking about your BMU, I know nothing about that. The generator is firstly a transformer, the secondary is where the regeneration circuits are, but that first transformer removes all trace of DC, and after all, it is regenerated into a pure sinewave. Have a look at PS Audio's web site ?

Dave
Dave, I don't know the product you are talking about but you do NOT need a transformer before a rectifier. The VSCF used on some Boeing 737s and the BUG on the Boeing 777 generate variable frequency AC, this is converted to DC then passes through an inverter circuit to produce a constant frequency AC supply. They are, in both cases, too small to contain a transformer rated at 60 KVA so the rectification MUST be happening at 115V. A Mains Regenerator works on exactly the same principle and equally does not NEED a transformer.

Dave Cawley
Great Britain

Unread post by Dave Cawley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 am

Geoff.R.G wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 pm
Dave, I don't know the product you are talking about but you do NOT need a transformer before a rectifier.
I am aware of that, but we are talking of a PS Audio P10 regenerator not an aircraft. Take a look at the internals on the web ? This whole mini-thread is about the P10 and nothing else.

Dave

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:36 am

OK one last comment. There is more than one way to do this, Power Inspired do it differently. The PS Audio is simply a big amplifier, but instead of amplifying music it is amplifying the AC voltage. Amplifiers is the wrong name as overall it is unity gain but it drops voltage, rectifies it, brings back the mains wave form and amplifies it again in order to get it back (simple explanation). Now the advantage of using a DC blocker in front of this is EXACTLY the same as using a DC blocker in front of a music amplifier. AND again like there are regenerators and there are regenerators so there are DC Blockers and DC blockers. The simplest dc blocker is a thyristor. The Lurcher one is a thyristor bridge (by the look of it) , two electrolytics and one film capacitors and a power resistor on a PCB.

Add edit - in many way the P10 it is just a very large ac voltage regulator.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Ignoring the fact that some seem to have to have a pissing match, the point that may have been missed is that at the front of the PS Audio product is a big toroidal transformer. That transformer is as prone to the problems of saturation and the noise and field that creates as any other, so removing the cause of that saturation improves things. I don't know if the AC out of the unit is better when the toroid is not saturated, but I can think of several ways it is. I do know we have sold loads of the MCRU blockers to people with this sort of mains regenerator.