The Audio Standard Forum.

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: The Audio Standard Forum.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 pm

From another thread but applicable here.

Re: BBPSU Loan

Post by Classicrock » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 am

I was in mind to loan this and take it to ASBO but though allowing NVA I had a negative response to loan units. Think I will put my name down anyway to assess if worth a future upgrade.

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am

I noted that from Martin, yet again bias and prejudice. The rule applies to no one else but NVA. Colin had stuff there not belonging to members, and I am told Martins rip-off retailer friend took advantage as well.

Each new attempt to block NVA and me just shows them up for who they really are.

Post by Classicrock » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 pm

Colin will be bringing some new stuff to the next one so it isn't really a level playing field. NVA is OK if a member actually owns it. I'm actually keen to hear Phono2 v Vida as I know it is one of the best alternatives I have heard but not in optimum environment.

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 pm

That is what it SHOULD all be about. BUT yet again we have made up rules, applied with no thought or fairness JUST to deal with me the way they think they have to. It was the same when I was a member, rules made up on the hoof and then applied to me to try and shut me up.

I know for certainty there were people attending the last one who weren't members, maybe friends of members. BUT yet again this is the excuse to bar me and stop me attending.

Perhaps they should make a list of made up rules that only apply to me, and I am not even a member.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Is (In)Coherent System owner called Fluxed in Time (or should that be Fucked by Greed) at TAS. So does that mean him being a member he can bring what ever over priced shite he wants.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Coherent Systems are on the same level of credibility as Elite Audio, but Elite has shacked up with PFP and Incoherent has shacked up with Martin.

It is well known that any self respecting rip-off hi-fi retailer has to get into bed with a forum owner. In the old days it was Hi-Fi magazine editors.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Also nothing like some mutual wanking for bed fellows

Coherent Systems - Reviews
Ayre C-5xe MP Upgraded by Coherent Systems
Just having a chat with Tony Sallis of Coherent Systems is inspiring and, at the times he has visited my system, he has proven to have great hearing and insight into system performance and the reasons behind the way a system sounds.

We discussed my Ayre C-5xe MP SACD/DVD-A/CD player and Tony reckoned he could improve on its already superb sound quality. I trusted him and delivered the machine round shortly afterwards.

Just over a week later and Tony declared the player ready. He had worked the power supplies and applied selective decoupling where it matters most, especially around the all-important clock circuits. Some of the components, like Dubilier pancake caps and three-pin soft recovery rectifiers, had come from the USA so his suppliers obviously work double-quick time for him. I collected the player and a bag of some 55 removed components, including surface mount.

Tony's work focussed around the power supplies in order to remove noise and let the clocks work more accurately with less jitter. I was warned to give the machine at least 72 hours of soak playing, so I left various discs playing on loop.

My immediate impression upon playing some favourite CDs was that it felt like a big sub had been added. My system is not lacking in extended bass but the very lowest octave was now noticeable in the sound of air moving around the auditorium, like the thrum of an underground train approaching a station, really widening and deepening the soundstage and making it more of an immersive experience. Music with actual deep bass content was tighter and more potent. The soundstage on good SACD recordings was simply immense, a completely analogue-like portrayal of a big acoustic space. Despite being more extended, bass was actually tighter with great texture and impact in the upper bass.

Further playing has revealed that there is a reduction in noise floor, voices starting and stopping with an immediacy that can be shocking. Dynamic transients like most hand-held percussion instruments have more shape to them, the cues that tell you how they are being played, and their reverberation around the performance space is more perceptible.

The high frequency shimmer of cymbals, even on CD replay, has harmonics and decay that are more fully formed, defying red-book's limited encoding format. Cymbals on SACD are amazingly realistic.

The Ayre has interestingly differentiated the sound of SACD versus DVD-A in that they more obviously play to their strengths: SACD with that simply huge soundstage and the feeling of being there; DVD-A with incredible detail, slam, micro-dynamics and effortless high frequencies.

Overall this is a set of modifications that have strengthened the Ayre's already superb performance without in any way damaging its fundamental characteristics. Thank you Tony, your work has certainly improved my enjoyment of my collection.

Thank you Tony

Mr M Taylor, Basingstoke August 2015

All well and good and not unlike the NVA review thread with MikeMusic wanking him as well. BUT none of those posting on the NVA thread are shills or friends *with benefits* (discount not sexual this isn't PFM). If I had that many shills as the number of good NVA reviews it would be impossible and daft.

This may well be behind Martins attitude to me and NVA as I am such a threat to rip off dealers like them.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:09 pm

It should be noticed he is Nu Nu distribution Ltd as well, so two tongue slurping in the trough of your money - for what, for piles of bullshit and the privilege of him giving you an item. Does he make them - no, does he really know much about them - not.

But of course he has become a hanger on expert and guru, a major part of the disease this hobby suffers from.

As it should be noted I am on a rant!

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 pm

I think you have knocked the nail on the head regarding the real reason for your exclusion.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P50SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA LS6, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:09 pm
It should be noticed he is Nu Nu distribution Ltd as well, so two tongue slurping in the trough of your money - for what, for piles of bullshit and the privilege of him giving you an item. Does he make them - no, does he really know much about them - not.

But of course he has become a hanger on expert and guru, a major part of the disease this hobby suffers from.

As it should be noted I am on a rant!
My view is many of the imported brands by new players are here today gone tomorrow. At least Absolute Sounds products are well established and you can be reasonably confident of repairs (apart from rip off uk prices).

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 am

Now despite it making the sound better , the mcru dc blocker is up for sale.

Martint you are a shameless charlatan .
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am

Just to recap, martint insisted it worked in his HiFi despite him having a 10k regenerator.

Bloody charlatan.
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 pm

He is in the hands now of one of the worst UK rip-off hi-fi slurpers. Well suited, snob shop for a snob.