The Audio Standard Forum.

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: The Audio Standard Forum.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 am

For the fuse to be directional 1/ it must have reactance, so it is not just a fuse 2/ there must be something that creates a difference with it between ends ? twisting, stranding, layering (capacitance).

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:17 am

CaterhamKev wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:32 am
All Mr MCRU has achieved with his comment is losing a customer. Once again he only has half of the information and jumps to a conclusion.

For someone who claims he has the proof of certification of these fuses, why does he not just share it?

I also notice that the threads about fuses have been merged, and no longer read in a coherent way.
It is best I leave them to it.
It doesn't exist so he can't have it. All there can be in the US is a UL (testing) company report, which company has a similar basis to NEMCO here. It would describe how it is made and what it is made from, things they don't want us to know.

There is a big problem going on with the usual lack of understanding. The USA doesn't have plug fuses, nor does anyone else but us. The SR fuses are designed (:lol:) for non mains plug use, it is a different design, different criteria, even to a case earth safety fuse for ClassI products. The design fails the requirement for a mains plug fuse and will explode on fusing making them illegal, even though they are illegal already for not being BS or Kite marked.

So for plug use they are dangerous and a very possible fire risk as seen in the video.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:50 am

Once again Martin says no one understands directionallity in cables - WRONG - just you and fellow pretend experts don't. Read this and you might get a little light going on in your brain - but I doubt it - but we keep trying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_reactance

If the reactance is different from one end to the other, created by twisting or layering strands, then there will be a difference in sound. It will happen with ALL cables but with good low reactance ones it will be below the level of perception. It should also be obvious that the effect is relative to the length of cable.

alfer
Great Britain

Unread post by alfer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Surely it is only a tiny minority of the human race who believe they experience directionality in cables

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:32 pm

From past experiences, *some* cables are directional, at least when new. It's not imagined and at the time we found it repeatable with some of the stuff we sold. Bit by bit, I found more modern cables that minimised or all but removed these artifacts. One cable was so bad the stereo image was affected if one was inverted over the other - this interconnect isn't marketed any more...

One thing with NVA cables. If they have a direction I can't hear it. I have constantly re-wired the workroom system and the SSC's have no markers on them at all. I'm damned if I can tell which way round any one of them is and according to the Doc, they settle in any case, so I've given up caring ;)

Eric Shun
Great Britain

Unread post by Eric Shun » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Moon the Loon appears to have had enough of fuses and is now willy waving stock photos of amps he says he has in his attic stash. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm as we used to say at school when somebody was telling porkies, chin rub, chin rub :think: :lol:
Read all about it on The Cloak Online
https://thecloakonline.blogspot.com

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:25 am

Eric Shun wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:42 pm
Moon the Loon appears to have had enough of fuses and is now willy waving stock photos of amps he says he has in his attic stash. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm as we used to say at school when somebody was telling porkies, chin rub, chin rub :think: :lol:
He is going to need a lot of audiophool fuses for that little lot. :lol:

If ever proof were needed that the equipment is more important to him than the music. I note a dig at us in his comment on the Sansui amp.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P50SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA LS6, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Eric Shun
Great Britain

Unread post by Eric Shun » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:33 am

I don't believe for one moment that he has a fraction of the amps he says he has. He appears to be grabbing and posting stock photos, becoming the Walter Mitty of The Audio Snoooooze. I can't believe that the Rev is falling for it, but know doubt in the fullness of time, he and Moon the Loon will be measuring each others appendages and massaging their over inflated foo/shill ridden egos. :lol:
Read all about it on The Cloak Online
https://thecloakonline.blogspot.com

alfer
Great Britain

Unread post by alfer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:50 am

It is to save the effort of removing them from their storage.

Perhaps he could sell one so we can bid on it. :?:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:52 pm

On the subject of fuses; I was having a clear out the other day and found a couple of illegal 13A plugs, no insulation on the Live and Neutral pins, so I stripped them and threw them out. I kept the fuses though. Having time on my hands I started rubbing one end of one of them on the inside of my Leatherman case. After doing so I discovered that there was a cap on the end of the fuse covering the soldered end cap. I haven't investigated any further but if a fuse were constructed without this, apparently cosmetic, end cap it would almost certainly "sound" better simply by the removal of resistance from the supply. Any thoughts?