The Purpose

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

The Purpose

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:18 am

This forum room is going to go through *yet another* spate of attacks by the look of it, so perhaps it is time to make its purpose plain.

The purpose is to shine a light on the bullshit, conmen, egotists et al who populate this industry and are also trying to take over the hi-fi forums. Now obviously there are a lot of my choices amoungst them and there are a lot of people out there who hate the fact I have shone a light on their behaviour. They will try to find opportunity to fire back, all I can do is hopefully give them nothing to hang on me but lies.

Now that does not make my opinions or posts gospel, any member of our forum can agree or disagree with my posts and I welcome it, and as long as ad hominem is avoided all opinion will stand.

I also want this forum room to be a standard bearer for those who believe they have been harmed or conned by a business or a forum or forum member. You can always make your case here but please try to be factual and not just bitter, though emotion can obviously be expressed.

There is a need for this room as all the other forums operate a cartel of silence where it is written into their rules that no other forums or forum members can be discussed, under this censorship rule a whole span of nastiness has been hidden. So bring it here we will shine a light on it, we don't have large membership but we have a large readership.

As this is now the subject of this thread your opinions on this forum room can be expressed and argued here, but again remember address the post not the poster.

jammy395

Re: The Purpose

Unread post by jammy395 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01 am

This forum room is going to go through *yet another* spate of attacks by the look of it, so perhaps it is time to make its purpose plain. Quote Doc)

'They don't like it up em Mr Mainwarinng, they do not like it up em Sir'.................... :clap: :clap: :clap:

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi,

I appreciate the purpose of this section of this section of the site; and have enjoyed some of the spats even when I haven't entirely understood the background to the arguments (voyeristic tendencies :shock: ).

However, I find that I am now a less frequent reader of "elsewhere on the web". It is a bit like watching "big brother", I enjoyed the shock value/newness of the first run but found the predictability boring after the second/third series.

There are complete arseholes on just about every forum: self appointed "experts", "I think £5000 for an upgrade is a bargain", "how dare you suggest that xyz isn't the dogs bollocks", "situation engineers" :roll: , shillers etc.
( I must admit that I have been surprised that there have been no extracts taken from the Linn/Naim/Lejoklou forums - am I the only LP12/Naim user here? :doh: )

I feel that there is a need to highlight the worst excesses of these "enthusiasts", it is a valuable service, unfortunately it doesn't do this excellent forum justice to be seen to be only picking up on the negative.
So, in the spirit of the season would like to suggest that rather than concentrating on the idiots (as much fun as that may be!), we all try to find examples of useful/helpful/innovative ideas on other forums.
I will do my best to find some and report back (exit stage left "I may be gone some time").

Best wishes. Guy
LP12,Ittok,DV10X5,Phono2(twin supply),P50/A40's,LS5,SSC,Rega Ela mk1.
Sony cdp xb930,Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:40 pm

If I read the Linn and Naim forum they would have to lock me up. I take it as a given that both of those are beyond the pale and beyond any form of conversion or common sense. I tend to focus on the forums that I think are good but just a bit wobbly at times. If I was to rate the forums I comment on in order of preference 1/ AoS - clearly the best 2/ PFM shill city, but good people amoungst the crap 3/ WW nasty bullying place that looks like it will be first commercial one 4/ Chews, well I just don't like the people running it so I am biased. Apart from them and Chews only recently I avoid other forums. I rely on you lot to focus on the aberrations of the other forums.

Also we are not just about hi-fi and forums, some of the political threads about the EU have been very informative.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Also we are not just about hi-fi and forums, some of the political threads about the EU have been very informative.
Absolutely, and I have found them very interesting.
They have demonstrated that the contributors to this forum have a wide range of interests and are able to express their views coherently.

I can understand why you don't look at the Linn and Lejonklou forums - but you are missing a very rich seam!

Guy
LP12,Ittok,DV10X5,Phono2(twin supply),P50/A40's,LS5,SSC,Rega Ela mk1.
Sony cdp xb930,Alessandro ms1

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I also think that this section of the forum has another purpose. Simply a "Hey look at this! Isn't this funny?" Or "Wow! This is interesting..."

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:11 pm

I must say, I have thought about starting a thread on manufacturers' forums. With a few of the more extreme posts from the Linn and Naim and AVI forums. Also with a look at other manufacturers forums such as the Klipsch one to compare and contrast.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Please do, I just can't read them otherwise I might do a Monty Python explosion, and the funny and interesting bit is spot on. It has largely become me beefing on about this shill or spam or forum stupidity, others need to post as well.

Plus our #1 target Il Duce seems to be in hiding or retired, leaving a half way sensible Marco in his place.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Il Duce.......The nicest guy i have know'n....Well over the festive period anyway ,very quiet ......Quite Quiet.

Marco...... jammy would like to wish you all the best in 2013 and im sure the rest off the guys (and NINANINA) Its a game man........
Please dont take it 2 serious...........

AoS - MEMBERSHIP DOWN 0.48%
HFS - MEMBERSHIP UP.....6.29%

Rock n Roll.........................................................Do not even question the Jammy.....................CHIP'S

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Jammy, you are a one off :lol: :lol: :lol:

While you are in this mood write a review, please please pretty please :mrgreen: