UK veto [continued from former forum]

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
ArloFlynn
Great Britain

Re: UK veto [continued from former forum]

Unread post by ArloFlynn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Fretless! Please keep posting, everyone in the eu is entitled to a say and their opinion. Noone can be said to be wrong or right, all opinions are valid. And your one of my favourite posters. I find your brexit and other subject posts interesting. Carry on.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 pm

As a British subject AND a European citizen the Brexit will have an impact on my daily life.

At the moment my rights are protected for things like state pensions, health care, taxes, benefits. If my status changes to Non-EU then my access to those will be altered. Along with about 30,000 other Brits who reside in The Netherlands and something like 1.5 million throughout the EU. Crossing borders and getting visas will be different as well.

Also I look at the political process in the UK with an outsider's eye. Balanced against the European view which has developed in the 28 years I have lived in Holland.

I see the 'leave' vote as a combination of Cameron's naivety and Boris's blind ambition to replace him. And the vote was generated primarily by a gut-feeling reaction against immigration.

The real, economic ramifications of not being a part of a solid European bloc any more were not explained.

The UK is severely weakened and easy pickings for the USA who will strike a very advantageous trade deal because Britain will be desperate for a quick chance at stability at any cost.

Brexit will also have an impact on my 'new' home country, The Netherlands economy is deeply connected to the UK at many levels, especially transport and ports.

The UK has sent a strong message to the EU that things need to be changed. Job done. Let's get back to normal.
Main: NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube2 - BMU
Pi: Allo DigiOne Signature/Volumio/Tomanek LPSU/Jitterbug
DAC: Metrum Acoustics Musette CD Transport: Cambridge CXC
Headphones: AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon Amp: Schiit Magni-3
DAC: Musical Fidelity M1DAC Digital i/c: Profigold Oxypure OCC

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Fretless wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 pm

The UK has sent a strong message to the EU that things need to be changed. Job done. Let's get back to normal.
:clap: :clap:
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/MCRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Mscaler-Qutest/MCRU PS, Geitnote Apogee, NVA BMU, P90SA, A80sMk2, Phono 1, SSP Mk 2, TSCS, TIS mk2, Cube 1s, Atacama stands, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, Grado SR 325e, headphones.

Second system
Chord Mojo (also HP amp), NVA P20, A20, Cubettes, SSC, LS3.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Agree!

ArloFlynn
Great Britain

Unread post by ArloFlynn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Yes agreed. Also I fear the disaster capitalists (what happens after the spare cash has been trousered?) and the divide and rule society we are entering.

nilsatisnisioptimum
Great Britain

Unread post by nilsatisnisioptimum » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:40 am

For once a Brexit discussion that is sensible, greatly aided by contributions by our members in the EU. I'm over 60 and have been around a lot of "blocks" so to speak and from my perspective world politics are at their most unstable at any point in my life. Only 5 years ago the thought the Trump and Johnson would be in charge was simply unthinkable. Back then creabilty and reputation mattered and facts had more influence than propaganda. There was and always has been numerous "issues" to legitimately complain about which ever party you voted for however life was for the most part predictable and ok. Whats changed is the people with power and serious money (>£500m) have woken up to the fact they can via the tradional media and social media in particular manipulate and therefore shape a large part of the publics opinion on any given subject. With budgets running in to tens if not hundreds of millions they have for example successfully convinced a great number of people in to believing Brexit is good. Unfortunately the success of this propaganda with its carefully targeted lies means this M.O. will spread in to all walks of life and everyone who is not very rich or powerful will eventually suffer unless there is a counter movement. When I see people like Farage purport to speak on behalf of the UK (a UK he is trying his best to split) I am ashamed by distant association. I am also deeply troubled by the sorry state of British politics and the way the extreme tribal elements of the of the Conservative (1922 & ERG) and Labour (Momentum) parties have exerted too much power and chosen leaders who in normal times are unelectable but these are at not normal times and I have no idea where this end.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:10 am

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:40 am
For once a Brexit discussion that is sensible, greatly aided by contributions by our members in the EU. I'm over 60 and have been around a lot of "blocks" so to speak and from my perspective world politics are at their most unstable at any point in my life. Only 5 years ago the thought the Trump and Johnson would be in charge was simply unthinkable. Back then creabilty and reputation mattered and facts had more influence than propaganda. There was and always has been numerous "issues" to legitimately complain about which ever party you voted for however life was for the most part predictable and ok. Whats changed is the people with power and serious money (>£500m) have woken up to the fact they can via the tradional media and social media in particular manipulate and therefore shape a large part of the publics opinion on any given subject. With budgets running in to tens if not hundreds of millions they have for example successfully convinced a great number of people in to believing Brexit is good. Unfortunately the success of this propaganda with its carefully targeted lies means this M.O. will spread in to all walks of life and everyone who is not very rich or powerful will eventually suffer unless there is a counter movement. When I see people like Farage purport to speak on behalf of the UK (a UK he is trying his best to split) I am ashamed by distant association. I am also deeply troubled by the sorry state of British politics and the way the extreme tribal elements of the of the Conservative (1922 & ERG) and Labour (Momentum) parties have exerted too much power and chosen leaders who in normal times are unelectable but these are at not normal times and I have no idea where this end.
An excellent post. The tabloid owners have a lot to answer for. I would add that there has been a lack of interest in politics and this has enabled the extreme right and left to take hold of the two major parties. All this has resulted in this Brexit nightmare. I have spent quite a bit of time abroad and the general concensus seems to be that we have become a laughing stock.
And northwest of Pegasus

Sonore microRendu/MCRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Mscaler-Qutest/MCRU PS, Geitnote Apogee, NVA BMU, P90SA, A80sMk2, Phono 1, SSP Mk 2, TSCS, TIS mk2, Cube 1s, Atacama stands, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, Grado SR 325e, headphones.

Second system

Out and about

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:25 am

Laughing Stock? Not really.

More like - concern for a respected neighbour who, for no good reason, appears to be inflicting severe damage on himself.

Holland is an Anglophile country that does look to the UK more than Germany or France for cultural influences. Yes there is amusement provided by the political circus - show, but also worry about where this farce will end.
Main: NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube2 - BMU
Pi: Allo DigiOne Signature/Volumio/Tomanek LPSU/Jitterbug
DAC: Metrum Acoustics Musette CD Transport: Cambridge CXC
Headphones: AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon Amp: Schiit Magni-3
DAC: Musical Fidelity M1DAC Digital i/c: Profigold Oxypure OCC

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am

I just wanted to ask where 'we' get our cultural influences from? I've felt for ages that we are more influenced by the USA than anywhere in Europe. Has to be said, whether 'we' like it or not...

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 am

Fretless wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:25 am
Laughing Stock? Not really.

More like - concern for a respected neighbour who, for no good reason, appears to be inflicting severe damage on himself.

Holland is an Anglophile country that does look to the UK more than Germany or France for cultural influences. Yes there is amusement provided by the political circus - show, but also worry about where this farce will end.
My laughing stock comment was based upon the six weeks I spent in Malta during the winter.
And northwest of Pegasus

Second system

Out and about