PFM

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: PFM

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Wanker is not that short. I am a short arse and you are shorter than me.

keepitsimplestupid
Great Britain

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Alfi wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:36 pm
Disregarding the obvious then Si, why did you join HFS if you have no interest in NVA?
Alfi I said, "I 'had' (paste tense) no interest in the gear." Now I have a modicum of interest in the gear. There's more to HFS than just wanting to buy Richard's kit. It's the one remaining place that actively shuns foo. While I don't share Richard's depth of opinion on the value of all aspects of the retail trade, I do have a sympathy with his viewpoint as regards mark-up and value add.

Richard, honestly, I didn't speak to you that day and haven't spoken to you on any other day. I didn't do the rounds with Mark at all that day, we got separated in the record stalls and I never caught Dave and Mark up until the bar. I just don't go to shows to chat to people, I'm not interested in the spiel and I wouldn't stop to talk with someone I'd actively antagonised.

Yes, Mark's taller than me, I'm 5'9, with buzzed receding badger hair.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:59 pm

I have no reason to support Simon but his reason for joining seems reasonable, the other forums are rather boring/seem keen on selling the emperors new clothes.
Also despite my original misgivings I don't think that he is here for any motives other than to engage in useful discussion - could be interesting!
LP12,Ittok,DV10X5,Phono2(twin supply),P50/A40's,LS5,SSC,Rega Ela mk1.
Sony cdp xb930,Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Then I have been under a misinterpretation ever since that show. I am only 5ft 8in and this person was shorter than me about 5/5/ or 5/6, so I owe you an apology. But the way we talked and the references made to me convinced me it was you, so it wasn't YN then either.

I am telling the truth when I say I am an enthusiast first and business after. I have an attitude that I design and build for me, if people like them I sell them, if people don't then I go back and activate my school and teach again, probably just Qigong this time. The martial side is a waste of time teaching as most don't understand, cannot comprehend that soft can defeat hard, cannot understand the energy (qi) and how it makes everything work and how you can hijack your opponents energy without him even knowing it has happened. Put aside a spare 20 years or more to get near to that ability - sorry I am off on a waffle.

Anyway it is a pity we couldn't get an understanding between us back then, but I was very much on my hobbyhorse about the industry and especially the way it was dominated fraudulently by Linn with Naim in tow. People started insulting me, so I insulted back, we had a bout of insult tennis - first your go then mine - sadly Tony just let it happen, he killed Zerogain with the same attitude when he was (the secret) owner. He still allows too much insult and ad hominem at PFM, I make enemies of people who make me an enemy, and I play the game, but I am also happy to declare peace as hopefully we now have.

I still want to hear your phono stage, because I want to find the best. At the moment the best IMO is Nicks (lurchers) really expensive one (I would love to hear his new direct sell cheapy) and the Phono 3 with the BBPSU, most at the bake-off think the Phono 2 with two supplies was better. Nick commented that he thought I had frigged with the RIAA on the 3 but it is the same board as in the 2, just massive power supplies and regulators on each gain stage instead of each channel on same regulator board. It is that extent of power supply that found that bass nothing else, but it was a bit on the hairy edge, at one point it started motor boating so I have since had to comp it a bit more.

Anyway here is to future conversation. Pity YN and Flatty can't find it in them to do the same. In YN's case I think we may have taken the piss out of him too much for it to happen, but everyone can ask for peace, problem is with the forum owners is they have to put the memberships back that have been binned because they support this forum or me. They insulted and declared war on me so they got it back, so reinstating membership is the minimum, even if unlikely to be used, it is the gesture that starts the peace process. Very unlikely to happen, but as long as everyone sees the offer of peace is there, if not taken up I will just enjoy the war.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:42 am

Can I just add that I would really like a chance to have a proper listen to the Paradise, only ever heard it in situations where there were too many variables. I think its possible Ian in Huddersfield has one, I should check with him. Again, not with a mine is better (or not) goal, just to try and see what can be done, and how good it can be.

If you want to have a listen to the PH-1 Doc (or anyone here), I am more than happy to put one in the post to you (or anyone here). And for that matter the matching HA-1 head amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Rain check for later in the summer when it gets quieter and I have time. But thanks I will take you up on it, but I know what I will find IMO you have never built anything duff, all your designs perform exceptionally well.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:36 pm
Rain check for later in the summer when it gets quieter and I have time. But thanks I will take you up on it, but I know what I will find IMO you have never built anything duff, all your designs perform exceptionally well.
Its a £200 MM phono stage, works, sounds ok (to my ears), measures ok, is quiet. Not much else it can do really.

keepitsimplestupid
Great Britain

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Richard, I'm sure we'll get one in front of you some time soon. Even if via a proxy.

Nick, Hudds is just up the road. I'm at Vinyl tap every other month so I;m sure we can arrange something. I'm keen to hear your big fella as well.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu » Wed May 02, 2018 10:17 am

Les at Avondale has had enough of pfm and so has withdrawn from any participation there. Sad :( . He got me out of the Naim strangle hold many years ago.

See here
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow » Wed May 02, 2018 11:01 am

I would agree with him about the quality of discussion.
I think the main problem with hi-fi forums is that on the one hand, you have a cabal of loud-mouthed gobshites dictating the content and direction of discussion, and on the other, a bunch of lunatics talking about the merits of magic crystals and quantum fuses.
The whole subject of hi-fi is exhausted. there's nothing left to talk about in terms of bass, treble, mids, soundstaging, air, space, detail. It has all been done to death.
Fresh thinking is needed, but I'm damned if I can think of any new direction it could go in. Maybe a back to the artisan roots movement? I dunno.
DIY NVA amplification ( roughly equivalent to NVA A60) BTE Designs passive preamp, BTE Designs Lenco L75 turntable, Rega R200 arm, Goldring E3 cartridge, NVA Phono 1
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, AppleTV4 with Apple Music subscription, ripped CDs streamed via WD MyCloud Home Duo NAS, with PLEX media server.
Speakers - Large sealed cabs, with Fane 12-250-TC 12" full range drivers.