PFM

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: PFM

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Daniel Quinn wrote:Calm down doc :D

not sure what you read in to my post but clearly i should have said - he as reinstated a post which refers to the fact that you can purchase NVA gear on one particular section of the hifi subjectivist forum and whilst it may be the best , the hifi subjectivist is catergorically not a nva forum. :D

apologies for my tardy use of language ;) and anyway its worthwhile you repeating the above .
He does not say that, and he is part of the management for PFM, he states "my website", which if any of you have been there is an archive website of the old company and does no selling, in fact it just links back to ebay.

You are new to this I have had this crap going on for years with them.

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 pm

noted and agreed . :doh:
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:54 am

Coming back to the original post in this thread and the amplifier objectivists that you see on pfm and other forums, it would seem that these Hi-fi Objectivists are very helpful chaps. They tell us that most modern amps are transparent enough and that the technical measurements and specifications tell us all we need to know about these amps.

When I do Google searches on amps that I'm interested in, manufacturers websites usually give me some basic specifications, but no details on distortion characteristics. Never mind. There's the Stereophile website that includes measurements that are as comprehensive as you'll find anywhere on the Web. They even include graphs of THD+N distortion vs power. Fantastic! 0.001% distortion! Superb!

Oh hang on that's at 80 watts with a continuous sine wave. My EV speakers can only handle 50 watts continuous. 80 watts would be over 120 dbs! Yay, Motorhead live in my listening room! Ringing ears for a couple of days after listening to every album. New tweeter diaphragms too. Never mind they're easy to replace. The diaphragms that is, not my ears. Still at least I won't be getting any significant distortion from one of these modern solid state amplifiers.

Now what happens during the 99.99% of my listening when I want to listen without deafening myself, and without the high levels of distortion introduced by my ears or the speakers when we go above 110dbs? Lets look at those wonderful Stereophile graphs again... Hang-on! Those graphs only go down to 0.1 watts??!! WTF? That's 93dbs at 1 metre from my biggest speakers. What about the distortion from my amps at all the power levels equating to 30 to 90 dbs??

Sorry old boy. Simply not measured. You'll have to guess.

What about the steeply rising distortion graphs as they go from 1 watt down to 0.1 watt? And the logarithmic vertical scale of the graph? At that rate most amps will be at about 10% THD+N at 0.1 milliwatts. That's 63dbs in my system, which is still a pretty generous volume.

So, most modern amps are great - as long as I keep the wick up or use stupidly inefficient speakers.

What I don't understand about these Objectivists is how they can't they look at the Stereophile graphs themselves and see how laughably limited they are for telling you how transparent an amplifer is for listening to music at a range of volumes with a range of different speakers? And can't they see that it's highly likely that all amplifiers have very siginificant and audible levels of distortion at lower power levels?

And we haven't even gotten onto speaker distortion measurements yet. Or the lack of them.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:59 am

It is all very simple Lindsay, even more simple than you put it. If to you (as an individual) what you are listening to is good then it is good, if you hear something else that is better then it is better. If you hear something that is the best then think again you have lost it and closed your mind.

No specifications can ever explain or justify that. Some people think there is nothing better than an ipod or a bose radio, well then they have closed their minds, fine it is their choice, though I have more respect for them than I do the likes of Welder and Serge.

Once again for the simple end user, hi-fi and music enthusiast, there is nothing for them in specs but a dead end that ruins their pleasure, the pursuit of stupidity instead of happiness. Where as if you are a designer, producer or repairer of hi-fi equipment then you need to understand and use specs and the boxes that provide them. Per usual it is (or should be) reality that dictates not idiots.

southall-1998
Great Britain

Unread post by southall-1998 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:32 pm

LOL, look at post 36. Could be dodgy!

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... ost1760310
Shane Lonergan.

Home Hi-Fi Pics & Classifieds UK (On Facebook)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:04 pm

It is likely it is genuine. He never was particularly literate. He went to Malaysia when he closed the company, so Thailand is likely. I have already spoken of his personal life so I wont repeat.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:51 am

From PFM about Avondale.

"In any event, I'm looking now, at almost 70 yrs, to wind down the operation and spend some long-lost-time with my wife of 42 yrs.
We've worked our butts off for as long as we can remember and were it not for her career in education, I would not have been able
to run Avondale. It may come as something of a surprise to the select group but I haven't taken any kind of salary for at least
fifteen years rather, I've always had another 'project' in the pipeline to siphon away any of the modest 'profits' my operation has made.

I'm not crying in my beer by saying this, it's been my choice to enjoy the valued friendships and consequently the social life the
business has brought over the years.

It may be that a buyer for the business will come along before I wind down and in that case, it would be satisfying to see the company
go on into the future.

Either way, here is one very fortunate bloke, content with his lot.

Thanks guys for all the support over these many years. "

Sad, a guy who also fought the industry bullshit, and sells direct and has taken enormous stick because of it by the industry shills, especially the Naim ones. I hope someone takes it on so it doesn't die the way Royd has.

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 am

Is the Doc's dream coming true ? :D

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=123570

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:23 am

Not really, it is the totally arrogant flat earth dealer Cymbiosis around the corner to them that should have failed (claims to be #1 UK dealer for setting up Linn LP12's :roll: ). But the loss of any hi-fi dealer can only be a good thing for the industry.

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Pfm member upgrades the lp12 by stopping the suspension working :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he even provides a picture

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=123622