PFM

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Eric Shun
Great Britain

Re: PFM

Unread post by Eric Shun » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:01 am

All it does is highlight how far to the dark side TAS as been drawn. Flummoxed in Time and MCRU can peddle their foo wares there safe in the knowledge that any challenge will be snuffed out or ignored. The same shilling and spamming on other fora results in a more balanced response, albeit, a majority of those commenting are quite rightly more skeptical. Would you ever see MCRU posting on PFM in the same dismissive, high handed way he does on TAS about the benefits of the foo he sells? Mmmmm, I think not.
Read all about it on The Cloak Online
https://thecloakonline.blogspot.com

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 am

I doubt if Martin T will post on PFM about it. MM has no qualms about exposing himself to so much ridiclue. Is there anything in it for him or should he be carted off to the funny farm with moon the loon.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P90SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Eric Shun
Great Britain

Unread post by Eric Shun » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:56 am

MikeMusic and TheMoon are the Dumb and Dumber of TAS, but MikeMusic seems hell bent (and long may it continue) to expand his village idiot persona on other fora too, much to the embarrassment and frustration of Rev MartinT:

:grin:

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:57 am

Eric Shun wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:56 am
MikeMusic and TheMoon are the Dumb and Dumber of TAS, but MikeMusic seems hell bent (and long may it continue) to expand his village idiot persona on other fora too, much to the embarrassment and frustration of Rev MartinT:

:grin:
I think they have scored a big own goal. A good comment from Arkless on the lines of carers needing to keep a closer eye on their charges regarding Internet access. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And northwest of Pegasus

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P90SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 3s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system

Out and about

keepitsimplestupid
Great Britain

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:08 pm

snakewiffy wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 am
Lots of objectivist nonsense on that thread.

sq225917
situation engineer
You cannot hear something that you cannot measure. Measuring test gear is orders of magnitude better than any ears. Don't conflate measure with identify....

2nd para removed

I find the first paragraph to be totally against my thinking and is this sq character Arkless' bum chum or what ? Test gear is better than ears :lol: :lol: :lol: :hbs:

Let me tread carefully here to clarify that post for you, ( cos I'm him).

Audio test gear exists that can accurately discern frequency, display more sensitivity and overload margin and has more extended frequency response in both directions than anything our ears can do. I'm unsure how one can choose to deny that fact. Perhaps people just aren't aware of the available kit. There's simply no sound that your ears can hear that the best microphones cannot pick-up and convert to voltage. Sanken in Japan have a device that can hear ant's footsteps, there's crazy gear out there. That's just plain old dull science fact type stuff.

Now I didn't say, or imply, that I believed that measurements tell you how stuff sounds, that's an incorrect conclusion to draw from that post. I don't think measurement does tell you how stuff sounds, the interaction of all the possible aspects of sound and their measurements just cannot be convolved into the answer to 'how does this sound?' Maths doesn't equal emotion. What measurement is great for though is telling you that you've got distortion somewhere, or instability in a circuit if you haven't already found them out with a scope when designing the kit in the first place. It won't tell you when something is right, but it can lead you to when something is wrong. (assuming fidelity is your goal of course).

I also certainly didn't say that test gear is better than ears, and neither am I slipping it up the arse to Jez.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:20 pm

That stuff is for designers, makers, maybe repairers. The objective tests for me is what makes a piece of gear work safely, then you start working on the compromises, what plays music and what makes a noise, and then the only test gear you need is your ears, and ref back to the objective to make sure that you are not taking it too near the hairy edge of what is possible.

So the point is do any of you need to know about this - no. Do you need to understand how to use or own it - no. OK some hobbyist DIY-ers and pretend designers want to get off on the ego of having it and learning how to use it, but that is largely just to try and impress you and increase their forum Guru qualifications.

So in our forum terms it is all bullshit, and marginal on DIY forums.

But the above post is valid as well.

keepitsimplestupid
Great Britain

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:08 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. If it sounds right it usually is.

Eric Shun
Great Britain

Unread post by Eric Shun » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:25 pm

The "offensive arse" hopes that he blows it up and sends it back to me so I can tell him to feck off.

A *normal* person would have sent me an email.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 am

There is a thread about all is rip off foo :Bllocks: some good points made about the Consumer Protection Act, MCRU and PFP take note.
No mention of MCRU or TAS. TonyL says it is taking up too much space on forums but does not condemn it. He would not if he is cashing in.
And northwest of Pegasus

Second system

Out and about