PFM

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: PFM

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:08 pm

We know that these nobs don't, BUT if you go there and tell them off and defend NVA then TonyL will ban you. He is happy as long as we are being insulted, but NVA praise is not allowed.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:06 pm

PFM.... Puerile, Fatuous, Morons.? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alfi.
Heavily modified LP12, Sole VIII sub-chassis, "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone. Technics SL110A, AT 1005, Denon DL301A. NVA Phono 2 MC (2 power supplies), NVA P50 SA, NVA A40 Mk1 power amps, custom birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA TIS mk2 , SSC, LS6.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:12 pm
It is the comments about plastic and glue that shows him up. You see saying plastic instead of acrylic and glue instead of acrylic welding with one plate held on with structural adhesive, see how words make a difference.
Many years ago, I was an apprentice at the time, I had an instructor who asserted that he preferred the idea of rivets to adhesive bonding. He would be horrified at today's fully composite airframes but in truth they are stronger than riveted alloy airframes. Since hearing from you about your use of adhesives I can't see any reason to doubt that they are superior to nuts and bolts for heat sinks but then I am trained to evaluate new processes, others don't understand and don't want to either.

Acrylic is best joined by the appropriate adhesive, why would anyone use screws where there is no need for access.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:52 pm

I had an instructor who asserted that he preferred the idea of rivets to adhesive bonding.
That sounds like someone who prefers what seems right to him, instead of looking at the evidence and making a decision based on that. I mean, how can glue be as strong as screws, after all, screws work by some magic way to hold things together instead of those weak old chemical bonds that we know can't hold anything together :-)

Decades ago now (1990's) I did the control software for a number of super-plastic forming presses for amongst others BAE, One of the things it was designed to make was the (then) EFA tail-fin, which was made out sheets of titanium that was diffusion bonded together (ie not even glued).

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am

With acrylic, Acetone is both your friend (if you know what you're doing) and a potential enemy - if you don't handle it correctly.

Alfi.
Heavily modified LP12, Sole VIII sub-chassis, "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone. Technics SL110A, AT 1005, Denon DL301A. NVA Phono 2 MC (2 power supplies), NVA P50 SA, NVA A40 Mk1 power amps, custom birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA TIS mk2 , SSC, LS6.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 am

I remember many many years ago Everyday Electronics had a transistor radio design that was built into a coloured acrylic case (maybe they should have tried charging apple for the design). They suggested using chloroform to fix it all together. They were simpler (and less safe) time.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 am

Lurcher300b wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 am
They suggested using chloroform to fix it all together. They were simpler (and less safe) time.
I was using chloroform in the 90's to do exactly the same, never passed out but certainly got light headed.

IPNIGHTLY

Unread post by IPNIGHTLY » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:37 am

Alfi wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:06 pm
PFM.... Puerile, Fatuous, Morons.? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alfi.
Hammer....Nail.....Head..... :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have been amused by the phono stage thread in the audio section over at our favourite unofficial Naim forum (FUNF) :lol:

IT'S ALL BOLLOCKS

The Arkless is compared to the internal Naim cards of yesteryear. The arkless :guiness; :guiness; :guiness; is slightly better than them. Well a one armed blind monkey can build a better sounding phono stage than the Naim. If it is only just better than the naim then that is not saying much really.

The arkless turbo is mentioned. What is the turbo ? - extra components removed? - Jez had an extra couple of pints down the pub before building it ?

Oh and Gromit (once respected member here) lists a few phono stages (including phono 2) but says he preferred the Rega Aria (£800). Should have put an extra psu on the phono 2 and then it might be a different story and £100 cheaper.

OP then told to have his Naim gear modified........well you cant polish a turd, many have tried.

Finally some one pipes up and tries to off load a firebottle stage to the unsuspecting OP :naughty: Back fires as the OP has already heard one and does not like it :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

alfer
Great Britain

Unread post by alfer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Surprise.

PFM have gained an Arkless. This might be fun. :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Collected from the skip out back of AoS more likely.