The Nightingales supported by Stewart Lee

All music posts here please.
TheMarlin
Great Britain

Re: The Nightingales supported by Stewart Lee

Unread post by TheMarlin »

Are you going to any of The Damned reunion (original lineup) gigs this summer? Tickets are £75 each!

Likely will be one of my first post lockdown gigs. I’m going to the Birmingham gig with an old friend, and fellow damned fan.

Oh, I saw The Stray Cats in Birmingham last year (or was it year before...). They were freakin’ awesome, not one dropped note all night. Such precision amd musicianship, and an incredibly e notable gig to boot (though massively oversold and hugely overcrowded).

Brian Setzer is one of my all time Guitar heroes, snd one of the reasons I have so many Gretsch guitars ;)
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I just couldn't bear to pay it. I have my early 80s memories of them, which were just thrilling. Nothing can ever match it. Wonder if Captain and Rat are friends again or they both need a new kitchen.

Saw the Stray Cats supporting The Damned in Newcastle about 4 years back, I think. I agree. Bang on the money.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

TheMarlin
Great Britain

I think the Captain and Vanian are doing fine, they regular pull in 1000+ crowds at most gigs these days.

I don’t think Rat and James pensions have been as well padded, and likely asked for a helping hand.

Doubt there is much love lost between Rat and Cap. They’ve not really been on speaking terms for much of the last 20 years.

I agree about not wanting to pay the ticket price, I’m only going as my wife surprised me with tickets. I’d seen the original lineup plenty of times when they did reunion gigs in the late 80’s. Went to most of them.
I’d be suprised if it was repeated again after this tour though, the currently Damned lineup is fine.
Paul Grey is an excellent bass player. Shame about Pinch leaving though, he was a great drummer, and a very nice chap to boot. A real gentleman.
These users thanked the author TheMarlin for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:02 am)
All NVA cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Paul Gray is a top player, but I like most that when he lines up to the side of Vanian and Sensible then everything just looks perfect.

Those 3 with Rat would be my top pick. Pinch did seem like a good bloke, but a bit anonymous. Tough job to follow Scabies, though.

Don't think much of any of the albums since Strawberries tbh but they have such a rich catalogue that they can get away with it. I usually go for a piss when Grimly Fiendish or Eloise come on, lol.

I think Rat did well for a bit with buying out the rights (hence the fall out with Captain) but I reckon Brian can use the cash.
I am in the hi-fi trade

TheMarlin
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:09 am Paul Gray is a top player, but I like most that when he lines up to the side of Vanian and Sensible then everything just looks perfect.

Those 3 with Rat would be my top pick. Pinch did seem like a good bloke, but a bit anonymous. Tough job to follow Scabies, though.

Don't think much of any of the albums since Strawberries tbh but they have such a rich catalogue that they can get away with it. I usually go for a piss when Grimly Fiendish or Eloise come on, lol.

I think Rat did well for a bit with buying out the rights (hence the fall out with Captain) but I reckon Brian can use the cash.
As for albums, I though Grave Disorder was pretty decent, though everything else since was a bit samey. But they’re not 20 year old trying to change the world any more. It’s hard to write a song about your favourite pair of slippers.
There latest offering was The Rockfield Files, a four track EP recorded at Rockfield Studios, where they originally recorded Strawberries.
It’s not bad at all, and one of the few Damned vinyl pressings I have that’s enjoyable to play on a decent turntable. Don’t listen to Evil Spirits on vinyl, it’s a shocking pressing, appalling. If you don’t have a copy (Rockfield Files), I have a spare coloured vinyl I can bung in the post to you.

While Rat and Vanian own the back catalogue between them. They do actually pay Captain royalties, but only after a massive fallout, and threats to leave current line up, so he gets a cut when he legally has no right to. I always thought Rat was a bit shady, but it was good of him to offer that olive branch. And, of course you’re right, he’s a flipping’ amazing drummer.

I’ve seen Brian and Rat about a half dozen times, playing the first two albums with various vocalists.

While it was good, my one issue is Brian James’ guitar sound. He gave his old SG to his son eons ago, and now plays a tele (since the 80’s) into a Marshall amp. He plays way too loud, and has it set way too bright. It’s a sharp unpleasant cutting tone, like an ice-pick in the head. It’s such an overwhelming unpleasant tone that it takes away from everything else that’s going on.

Anyway, should be fun, and likely the only gig I’ve got tickets for that’s likely to go ahead. I’ve got tickets for a half dozen gigs that will need re-organising.

Back to the Nigtingales, I though Four Against Fate was a good album. They’re reissuing Pigs on Purpose with a remaster and some additional old tracks (blue vinyl). I might get that, not heard it in years.
All NVA cables

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Stuart pearce reckons he seen the damned 1000+ times. That's a proper fan
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
TheMarlin (Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:42 am)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

TheMarlin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:50 pm I love live music. I’ve seen The Damned nearly 100 times, similar with New Model Army & about 50 times forThe Stranglers, though never bother with the strangler after Hugh left.
When the NHS eventually returns to normal you will be able to get treatment for your "condition" 😂
Ps the Stranglers were one of the few bands I missed live back in the day. We travelled south one weekend to see them but the gig was cancelled just before it was due to start as a mini riot broke out between the heavy metal crowd leaving the venue after their gig and the punks waiting to see the Stranglers later. It was bad enough for the police to bring the heavy mob in with their dogs to make numerous arrests.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
TheMarlin (Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:42 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:35 am Stuart pearce reckons he seen the damned 1000+ times. That's a proper fan
Sounds more like a high boredom threshold, to me, lol.

I like the thrill of anticipation. You used to have to work hard to find out about gigs, secure tickets, find the venue etc. It's all wonderfully easy, these days, but the thrill of the chase is not the same.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
NSNO2021 (Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:35 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:24 am
Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:35 am Stuart pearce reckons he seen the damned 1000+ times. That's a proper fan
Sounds more like a high boredom threshold, to me, lol.

I like the thrill of anticipation. You used to have to work hard to find out about gigs, secure tickets, find the venue etc. It's all wonderfully easy, these days, but the thrill of the chase is not the same.
+1
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables