Musical Journey

All music posts here please.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Musical Journey

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I grew up listening to all sorts of jazz, pop, rock, whatever the old man was playing. On a linn axis, original musical fidelity a1 that was hot enough to fry eggs on and some castle speakers.

Radio 2 was on if radio was on.

Then in the very early 90s, an lp12, (traded in for the axis in 87) linn pretek/powertek and an Arcam delta 170.3 black box 3. Speakers were index 2.
The lp12 got less and less use by 91 92, and by 96 was not in use and was relegated to being under the bed.

By this time I had been bought a system for Christmas after showing an interest consisting of a technics slps50, Nad 3020 and some jpw minimonitors.
I was given some cds with this, which were doubled up the one's that stuck out were led zep 4, Phil collins serious hits live with the carousel on the cover, and dark side of the moon.

I had started buying my own music, stuff like garbage, placebo, oasis, ocean colour scene, prodigy, blur, super furry animals, and had inherited the indexes. Which proved incapable of doing 'smack my bitch up' any justice.

I dug the lp12 out after nearly 10 years after asking nicely, (the 3020 had a phono stage that was not bad) and discovered stuff in the old mans dormant, dusty, neglected (the cat liked to use the record spines it could reach for sharpening claws) record collection that I still play to this day. Dsotm, Joshua Tree, kind of blue was something of an epiphany along with Dexter Gordon, Wayne shorter acoustic alchemy (blue chip) and meant I was listening to more jazz than ever before. Albums by the police, the beat, human league, xtc, Alice Cooper (I made it a mission to have every record he's do e after listening to billion dollar babies) the dormant collection was like an aladdins cave. Tangerine dream, I remember playing Phaedra for the first time, and the old man came in the room having recognised what was being played, and we just sat and listened in silence. After a conversation about the lp12, not long after, he went out and bought a roksan radius 5 to rediscover the collection.
One of my mates used to come round every other day, we'd go and play snooker then come back and sit listening to random records out of the collection. I was still buying my own cds, Foo fighters were played ALOT.

By then I was working, and bought a musical fidelity xray, a3. 2 amp and inherited some kf q55s.
This all came with me when I moved out.
That was 16 years ago, and that lp12 for its sins set me off with vinyl. Which is the bit I can't seem to lose interest in. I've had 50 plus turntables, built countless ones, but the enthusiasm and excitement for them doesn't seem to dim at all.
I've bought and built numerous amps, and numerous sets of speakers, these have been settled since I got the Nelson pass f5 and the great big fanes, but the decks are still the focus, I can't seem to get enough. I dont buy them any more I just build them. I have an idea, then it seems to end up built shortly after.
It's a bloody good job the Missus is a a music lover too.........
My own collection of LP's is about the same size as the one mi dad had back then, at about 600 lps, and this collection is eclectic. There is something from every genre. I buy lps because I like the cover, no idea who they are. I've ended up with some cracking records doing this.
I may be a mine of useless information on obscure turntables, and a mind numbing bore when it comes to vinyl, but at least I have the enthusiasm still in spades after all these years.
And it stems from that eclectic collection
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I love Foo Fighters too. Seen them three times. What's your favourite album ? Mine is The Colour and The shape
DIY FREE ZONE

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

First came Slade followed by Punk rock, Pistols, Stranglers, Clash and Blondie. Ramones, Undertones Buzzcocks & Souxsie. Damned, Jam, Ian Dury. Ruts, Vibrators & Boomtown Rats. Big in Japan! Public Image!

Followed by BOWIE (He’s my man) followed by Dylan, then some Armatrading.

Next came New Wave, Elvis, Wire, Devo, XTC, The Police, Squeeze & Tubeway Army.

Dabbled with The Floyd? Fleetwood Mac, Led Zep, Bit of Jimi too. Kate Bush, bush, bush, bush.
Dr Feelgood, Thin Lizzy, Janis Joplin, Supertramp, Kinks & Roxy Music. Bad Co., a bit of AC/DC & ELO. Loads of 70’s pop music too.

Onto the 80’s & the 90’s. Teardrop Explodes, Echo & the Bunnymen, Talking Heads & Human League.
REM, OMD, ABC, U2. The Smiths, The Fall, The Pogues. Billy Bragg (he’s my mate). Tom Waites (He’s my Dad) 80’s Pop music….

Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets. The Sundays, Crowded House, Del Amitri, & Deacon Blue.
Cranberries, Oasis, Belle and Sebastian. Portishead, Radiohead. Grant Lee Buffalololo and Britt Pop too!

Nick Cave, Nick Drake, Nick Lowe. Some band called the Beatles, Steeley Dan.. and on and on…

Kevin.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Stone Roses kick arse. However, i ended up playing drums for Chris Helme who was the singer in the band The Sea Horses which were a band that John Squire formed after The Stone Roses . That is my one and only claim to fame and lastest five mnutes. I remember going on a tour of the UK and signing autographs for spotty teenagers who did not even know who i was.

It all ended in a gig in London and we went to Gail Porter's 30th bday party aferwards. For those who dont know who she is, she had her naked body body projected on the houses of parliament. She was quite fit and i had quite a chat with her. There were a few Radio 1 stars at this party and i ended getting chatted up by one of them. Pity it was a man (i am not that way inclined ) i shall name no names.

One band i was in shortly after that got a recording contract with a company who did a lot of work for Yorkshire TV in Leeds. I remember going to a Christmas doo and met Richard Whitely and Bob Harris there. Richard was quite rude and just sat in a corner reading a news paper. He died a few years later. Bob Harris was very chatty. He said he loved our live demo as it was a bit country influenced. I remember being pissed as a fart (the beer was all free) and chewing his ear off about the state of the music industry
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

It all really began in the mid 60 when I was taken to see "The Sound of Music" as a kid. I really liked it and ended up going back to see it a number of times. By the late 60s I had a transistor radio and my interest turned to popular music, in particular Alan Freeman's Top 20 run down on Sunday evenings. Not long afterwards I was introduced to the Beatles in a big way by an older friend who played their albums when we played Subbuteo. I became a big fan and was gutted by their break up. I followed their solo careers and Wings were the first band I saw.

In the early 70s "Top of the pops" was a highlight of my week and I really liked Rod Stewart and The Faces. Glam rock made a big impression and my favourites were T.Rex, The Sweet Slade and Suzi Quatro. However, it was Bowie who really blew me away and I was a big fan until he sold out in the 80s, rediscovering him with Tin Machine.

From the mid 70s I was heavily into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Queen. The other band and artists I liked most were The Rolling Stones, Genesis, Free, Barclay James Harvest, early Dr Hook, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Iggy Pop. I was a bit too old when Punk came along and did not get my hair cut. I quite liked much of it, notably The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers and The Tom Robinson Band. Saw the latter two at the same gig and have also seen them in more recent years.

My musical journey took on a new dimension in the early 80s. This had a lot to do with working in a large office with people around the same age. We used to lend each other albums and tape them. I got into a lot of bands from the 70s whom I had only scratched the surface with. These included Deep Purple and their spin offs, Rush, Aerosmith, Yes, The Who, AC/DC, Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, UFO, The Scorpions, Alice Cooper, Motorhead, Journey, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Kiss, Jethro Tull, ELP, TheSweet and Slade revisited and many, many more. There was also newer bands such as MSG, Ozzy, Magnum, Thunder, WASP, Accept, Marillion and Krokus, not to mention NWOBHM, Iron Maiden, Saxon and Def Leppard being my favourites. I was also a fan of Hair Metal, Bon Jovi being my favourite of the bands to come out of it. The last band to emerge which had a big effect on me was Guns n Roses, with my first exposure to MTV. It was an an exciting decade and it was nice to have some money. I went to a lot of concerts and have a lot of fond memories.

For me the music scene has not been the same since. It seems thatmore or less everything any good has already been done. My musical journey was more or less complete. I went to far fewer gigs (less bands worth seeing) and bought fewer CDs, losing a lot of interest. Grunge had a lot to do with it, although I like the first two Pearl Jam albums and some Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nivarna.

I think thinks improved in the past decade and there are some bands I really like post 1989, most notably Dream Theatre, Halestorm and Ghost. In recent years I have been going to as many gigs, if not more, than in the 80s. I was very impressed with Ghost but found Dream Theatre a bit of a let down live. As well as the newer bands the older ones are rocking till they drop and ticket prices have gone through the roof. What I am saving by streaming instead of buying CDs seems to go on tickets.

I had my first record player when I was around ten, but my parents radiogram sounded better. I had a sterio record player for Christmas when I was 15 which sounded great in comparison. A few years on bought a music centre but was not happy with it. My first hifi system followed, bought from a discount warehouse. This was upgraded to a system which remained in place for many, many years consisting of the Rega Planar 3, which is still in my system, NAD 3020 and Heynrook HB1s. Cassette decke were a Sansui followed by a Denon. My first CD player was a Yamaha, later replaced by a NAD. After the LP12 king with no clothes on experience I concluded that anything costing more than what I had was not worth it and magazine were :Bllocks: . This changed in the middle of the past decade when I discovered hi res streaming and NVA.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc