Weekends are for vinyl

All music posts here please.
Toontrev

Weekends are for vinyl

Unread post by Toontrev »

A remark Savvy made in a post a while back got me thinking about how I select records to play over the weekend when I often get to spin some vinyl.
Because they never sounded up to much on an 'LP12' I genuinely believed a large part of my record collection was either badly recorded, badly pressed or produced by people with hearing problems. Subconsciously, I must have avoided playing some of my records for decades due to past experiences on how awful they sounded together with the very early onset of ear fatigue these neglected beauties have remained unloved. It's odd how without realising it and thankfully not owning an LP12 for a few years now, I still fall into this lazy trap of avoidance. It was good to be reminded that whilst some albums did and still do sound great, there are a lot that were shamefully past over.

Which leads me to the records that you never though would 'never sound any good' to 'actually they are fantastic'.
This weekends contenders were:
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
Japan - Tin Drum

Thankfully I've got loads more to go at, it could be a very long time before Steely Dan's Gaucho comes out again.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Weekends are for vinyl

Unread post by savvypaul »

2 great choices, too, mate... :clap:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I had the same problem when I had a LP12, moved over to a PT and records that sounded 'flat' suddenly had more life than I expected.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

I have an LP12 and my records sound great. I have been buying some of the Blue Note Tone Poet releases recently and they sound fantastic. I shudder to think how much better they'd be if only I had a decent turntable....

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Toontrev wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 pm A remark Savvy made in a post a while back got me thinking about how I select records to play over the weekend when I often get to spin some vinyl.
Because they never sounded up to much on an 'LP12' I genuinely believed a large part of my record collection was either badly recorded, badly pressed or produced by people with hearing problems. Subconsciously, I must have avoided playing some of my records for decades due to past experiences on how awful they sounded together with the very early onset of ear fatigue these neglected beauties have remained unloved. It's odd how without realising it and thankfully not owning an LP12 for a few years now, I still fall into this lazy trap of avoidance. It was good to be reminded that whilst some albums did and still do sound great, there are a lot that were shamefully past over.

Which leads me to the records that you never though would 'never sound any good' to 'actually they are fantastic'.
This weekends contenders were:
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
Japan - Tin Drum

Thankfully I've got loads more to go at, it could be a very long time before Steely Dan's Gaucho comes out again.
What deck ya got now Trev ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Had a hankering for a 1970's Japanese DD some years ago and got really lucky with a Pioneer PL600X now fitted with a Denon 103. Unless it fails and can't be repaired, this will be my last TT. How on earth these decks and I'm sure plenty others of a similar ilk were thought of as inferior at the time is beyond bonkers.

antonio66
Great Britain

scotty38 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:54 pm I have an LP12 and my records sound great. I have been buying some of the Blue Note Tone Poet releases recently and they sound fantastic. I shudder to think how much better they'd be if only I had a decent turntable....
How many other tt's have you actually owned in your Linn price range?

scotty38
Kiribati

antonio66 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:54 pm
scotty38 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:54 pm I have an LP12 and my records sound great. I have been buying some of the Blue Note Tone Poet releases recently and they sound fantastic. I shudder to think how much better they'd be if only I had a decent turntable....
How many other tt's have you actually owned in your Linn price range?
None.

antonio66
Great Britain

^^^^^^^^
In that case you might well be surprised at how good some vinyl could sound. :grin:

scotty38
Kiribati

I am sure I would be, I don't doubt it for one minute. What I do doubt is that the LP12 is as shit as a lot of folk would have me believe. The LP!2 hating bandwagon is a mighty fine thing.....