Black - Colin Vearncombe

All music posts here please.
Bencat57
Great Britain

Black - Colin Vearncombe

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Not sure what the reaction to this suggestion will be as often people are only aware of one song by this artist but as Colin has been a big favourite for more years that I can rememebr I will offer this up for those prepared to give a listen .

Colin Vearncombe was a local Liverpool born singer who had a huge early hit with his single Wonderful Life under the name Black . So popular was this song that it dominated his career and as he said put his children through school . It is indeed a wonderful pop song and Colins voice as always is achingly beautiful .

However he went on to have a much longer career both as Black and Colin Vearncombe and recorded what i consider a very strong canon of work . I am biased because i do so love his voice and the truly effortless way that he sang . Having seen Colin live on many occasions I know that this voice was real and he did sound exactly as his voice on record which i think is not somehting all singers can claim .

I have just about everything he recorded and would say give him a listen and see if you can see the quality of both his voice and writing . Wonderful Life his first Album is a good place to start then Are We Having Fun Yet and Black his third Album . All are to me essential .

Sadly a few years ago Colin died as the result of a car accident in Cork were he lived with his family and for me at least the world was just a little darker for not having Colins new music to hear.

Daniel Quinn

Re: Black - Colin Vearncombe

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Never heard of him. What was Colin all about

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I've owned Wonderful Life for years and like it very much. Would be very interested to hear what he's doing now. Spotify here I come!
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Liked 'Wonderful Life' a lot when it came out, very inspirational,
always thought Black was a one hit wonder band and he drifted out of music business,
did hear of his passing a few years ago, thanks for the heads up, will check out his output post Black.
Frank...made me do it.

Bencat57
Great Britain

Colin was about a voice and music with heart and emotion . I know there will be some that will say it is trite and just pop music but there is an art and skill in making good music no matter what the form .

As an example of this Colin when to Holland and recorded a double album of all new songs that had to be written while he was in the studio and had to be sung live . The quality of the music and the singing is very high and given the constraints he set out for himself and is a testimony to what a good song writer and artist he was.

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Thanks, will check out the above mentioned album in due course.

I suppose he didn't quite fit in with the New Romantic movement of the pop scene of the 80's,
ordinary chap with no make up singing on stage is not gonna compete with visual acts like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Human League etc... to name but a few.
Frank...made me do it.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Indeed a great loss - worth checking out you tube for some of his live renditions on youtube, such as :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXzRTT0csI

I get an "ear worm" sometimes for particular tunes/songs (this is one of them) and the only way to cure it is to listen several times. Looking around on the internet for different performances of "wonderful life" just highlights how poignant the song is and how good his voice was.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Excellent, loved that.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

RedkezCV

Unread post by RedkezCV »

For those wanting to learn more about Colin Vearncombe, his website is here: http://www.colinvearncombe.com and all his catalogue is available to download here https://neroschwarz.bandcamp.com/

There's a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/blackakacolinvearncombe/ and a Facebook tribute discussion page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CVtribute/

Bencat57
Great Britain

Thank you to all of you that took the time to add to this Colin was in my view a very special and gifted musician who never let his standards drop. He workrd away from the limelight and kept making very different and musical albums . Look out for Are We Having Fun Yet as it has some of his most jangly singalong tunes plus some over dramtic big productions. I think he sounds most like the Walker Brothers on this albuma nd for me that is a good thing .