Wrestling with the big issues

All music posts here please.
Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Wrestling with the big issues

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

We all know that stinky coil of shoite known as Steve Miller Band track, "The Joker".

"Some people call me Maurice
Because I speak of the pompitous of love"

WTF?

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Re: Wrestling with the big issues

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

A program on the CBC stated there is no such word - that Miller made it up.

The Oxford English Dictionary says "pompatus" means "to act with pomp and splendor."

So then it is a verb? (It does not mean pomp & splendor, but TO ACT with pomp & splendor.)

Hence the way Miller puts it, it makes no sense.

"Because I speak of acting with the grandeur of love"

I always thought a "pompatus" was external part of female sex - the mons-wotsit.

Engypoos
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Engypoos »

No no....that the Quiff

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

From Wikipedia:

Pompatus (or Pompitus) (/ˈpɒmpətəs/) is an unusual word used by Steve Miller famously in his 1973 hit single "The Joker". The word is probably a corruption or imagined version of the word "puppetuse," an original coinage, written by a fourteen year old Vernon Green, and subsequently released in 1954 as the Doo Wop song "The Letter" performed by himself and The Medallions -- a song which also included another original coinage, "pismotality." In other songs, "Enter Maurice" and "The Conversation," Miller adds the word "epismetology" to "pompatus," one in spoken word, the style of "The Letter," in a likely homage to the Doo Wop song. The oddness of the word "pompatus" occasioned some attention and further use, including being used in the title of a movie.[1]

Because of its peculiarity, the word pompatus has secured a niche in 20th century pop culture. Wolfman Jack frequently referenced the phrase and there is a sound clip of him using the line within the song "Clap for the Wolfman" by The Guess Who. The Pompatus of Love, a 1996 film starring Jon Cryer, featured four men discussing a number of assorted topics, including attempts to determine the meaning of the phrase.[2] Jon Cryer was also a writer of the film, and describes finding out the meaning of the phrase during a phone call with Vernon Green in his autobiography "so that happened" in chapter 22, page 217. The line has been mentioned in various television show gags, including The Simpsons and South Park.[citation needed]

Humor columnist Dave Barry frequently refers to the song line as a source of comedic value, particularly in his 1997 book Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs. 'Pompatus' is used by Michael Ondaatje in his 2001 book Anil's Ghost. Stephen King uses the word in his 2006 novel Lisey's Story. Tim Dorsey uses the word in his 2010 novel, Gator a-Go-Go. It was the subject of the October 9, 2011 Over the Hedge comic strip.[3]

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Man! How do you sleep- at lest it’s an isolated song- no other artist would dare do such
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Fearless Fosdick
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Fearless Fosdick »

If you want unambiguous in a song I suggest some country music might just the ticket Missy. Might just be the change you need.
I made a killing on Wall Street a few years ago I shot my broker.