Anyone have an interesting (vinyl) digging experience to relate?

All music posts here please.
Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Re: Anyone have an interesting (vinyl) digging experience to relate?

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Back to the subject:

Blind Child does not really have any strange occurances digging stories.

You see, when I said I was a star-digger, I lied. To be a star-flipper you have to take risks and be sorta an Indiana Jones. You have to be determined / dogged enough to venture to strange terrain. Expend lotta sheckles on gasoline. Many of the great historical finds were in barns and shacks in poor small towns. Inbred pestholes where few dare to venture. THAT is where its less likely to be picked - over.

Okay, I have dug in rather precarious places - but mainly for books. (There is this massive 3 story used book store called King Books in Detroit, just beefwhore it turns to rich Gross Point. The store ( back then - I havent been there in decades -) is surrounded by blasted city wasteland. For maybe a half-mile on all sides. The blacks torched it all down back in the early 70s riots. So then you have this massive bookstore surrounded by nothing but remnants of a city in perpetual decay. And the store's parkinglot is all fenced-in with wire on top like a concentration camp. First time I visited there, I could not get into the parking lot, so I parked outside. Two minutes later, Im walking to the store and I look back at my car and there is this jig working my car door. Where the feck he had popped-out of is anyone's guess. I started running back , not sure what I'd do if the negro prooved resiliant, but he just took off. It goes without saying that that day I did not visit the store. This was my first time in America!)

So because Blind Child has led a sheltered life and does not go looking for trouble ,I don't have good stories. Its always the safe way, not the adventurous way.

Regards pulling vinyl joints, let me explain:
I do the safe route: record conventions, flea market stalls, garage sales, chazzas, pawn shops, used record stores. Yes, these are "safe" venues and usually do not award you with much, since they are usually picked-over.

Radio stations were a good bet back in the early 90s when they were disposing of vinyl and bringing in the new boy: cd. No longer.

Also, junk yards, are impossible in the big city. Impossible to access.

Its a good idea to make friends with garbage collectors. Peeps wot do "clearances" or - in my case - the guy in charge of the records and books in your local "re-use" center.

Okay then, here is my boring/shitty record-hunting adventure.

There is this rather large Sundays-only "market" in the farmlands outside my city. I used to frequent it back in the days when gas was cheap - which is to say some 20 years back. There were three large barns with vendours of used jewelry,toys,collectables of all sorts. 4 used record vendours in all (and when the weather was good, peeps would set up for free outside the barns.
There also was this quonset hut (i call them "quantas huts") I don't know if you Brits are familiar with these farmland structures. They are real simple: corrugated steel arched buildings. This hut was mebbe fifty feet deep and full of fuzzy warbles. A paradise for the scurvy likes of yours truley. (I once found a prog record there; group from INDEPENDANT Saint Pierre and Miquelon Island, Canada and pressed/recorded there!)

Now the place had a second story which was made evident by the - I loosely call it- stairway curving up the OUTSIDE arch. I asked the old proprietor could I have a digg up there -assuming he had records there.

Looking at the rickety state of them stairs, I figured few had dared venture up there.The stairs looked like they were made for some hillbilly monkey-child mutant to scamper up.

The old gaffer said, yes, there's records up there but he hasn't been in ages and, yes, I can go, if you please.

This took me completely by surprize since I thought no way is anyone gonna let me go up there and risk falling thru.

The "stairway" was just planks and there was no bannister. Halfway up, two planks in a row were missing and I had to do the gymnastics bit.

Up on the second "floor" it was deadly cold - this was the dead of Canadian winter and my knackers were frozen to each other. It was dark but the old man had warned me and supplied me with a flashlight.
First thing, something moves in the distance as my beam of light falls on its face. You know the look you get when a deer is paralized beefwhore the headlights? Like some white-faced fecking nosferatu. Well this musta been a bastard-large raccoon. It bolted past me and out and down the stairs.

There was no proper floor. Had to balance a way on beams.
AND THERE WERE BASICALLY VERY FEW RECORDS. Four or five boxes deep within, on the far side , and all pressed against the curved walls. Nothing whatsoever in the middle of the open space.

Well,I precariously went through all those boxes and only found one record of worth, which I will now try to post a piccy of.

Sorry to disappoint but THAT is Blind Child's big fuzzy warbles adventure.

Kid Creole
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Kid Creole »

I once bought a double L.P. (Pink Floyd - The Wall) record 1 was fine but record 2 happened to be Tina Turner.......

I just couldn't get over it....!!!!!

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

That is no problem.
"The Wall" should have been released as a EP. You could condense the 4 sides of the Wall to one side. The rest is all fill for stupid peeps. Its crazy how peeps don't realize this.

Kid Creole
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Kid Creole »

Well that says maybe, but it doesn't alter the fact that I simply could not get over that Wall.

I sleep sound in the knowledge that some poor Tina Turner fan had to cry herself to sleep with the Floyd playing.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:01 pm
There also was this quonset hut (i call them "quantas huts") I don't know if you Brits are familiar with these farmland structures. They are real simple: corrugated steel arched buildings.
I think they're what we call 'Nissen huts', usually used on army sites. One of my first jobs involved working in a Nissen hut, sorting out army records on index cards which were stored in long wooden drawers. The job was so boring that every now and then someone would 'accidentally' knock over a set of cards so we had to scrabble on the floor to pick them all up.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I once bought a Marilion CD which turned out to be Roger Waters. Also a 90s Rod Stewart CD which was an early 70s compilation.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

joe

Unread post by joe »

CN211276 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:46 am Also a 90s Rod Stewart CD which was an early 70s compilation.
I'd call that a stroke of luck!

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

joe wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:37 am
CN211276 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:46 am Also a 90s Rod Stewart CD which was an early 70s compilation.
I'd call that a stroke of luck!
Nothing I did not have in my collection already.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc