Anything flute...

All music posts here please.
Pianist~Envy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Anything flute...

Unread post by Pianist~Envy »

Quarknosis wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 am I've ordered the Dave Heath CD but the some of the Susan Milan CDs look expensive, especially Out of the Cool which is the one that looks most interesting to me. The clips that I listened to from Flute Fantasie on Chandos sound good.
Thought I would move this thread here due to risk of moderation from the NVA-specific boards.

The Flute Fantaisie CD is available a bit cheaper from eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1933180124

Even on LP if that's your bag - always thought flute sounded better on LP, which I think captures more of the upper and lower partials of the flute sound:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2958086312

But this was always my favourite recording of Sue's. Recorded in the awesome acoustic of Wigmore Hall with a truly fantastic pianist, Clifford Benson, who I believe died 10 years ago due to a brain tumour. Really worth owning as a 'classical' flute recording because it's possibly the finest version of the Prokofiev flute sonata on record.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3164673497

Couldn't find it on CD although it is available on that format. You might have better luck.

Sue's 'Out of the Cool' disc is okay but a much later recording when I don't think she was at her best.

Interested to hear what you think of Dave Heath's disc. He's quite a forceful player, sometimes gives me a headache. But worth it! That recording has a cassette tape quality which I really like - early 80s recording, not sure the CD transfer came from the master.

Please feel free to point me towards any jazz flute recordings as I'm not particularly familiar with the genre.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Amps/cables: NVA P50sa (48 step), A40 mk3, LS6, SSP
Digi/source: ARCAM CDS50
PaS: Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic (homemade)

Music lover and piano dork.

Quarknosis

Re: Anything flute...

Unread post by Quarknosis »

My current favourites are Bjorn Jayson Lindh and Bobbi Humphrey, both jazz funk/fusion, and Lisa Mallet. Lisa's playing can be heard on some of the tracks on Matthew Halsall's Fletcher Moss Park LP. I've not found any of her own recordings as yet.

Of the older generation I like Frank Wess, there's a good 4 on 2 release on Avid CD. and he also plays on the Dorothy Ashby recordings, flute and harp make for a good combination in my opinion, again this is available on an Avid 4 on 2 CD. Herbie Mann, Memphis Underground recorded at Muscle Shoals is good as well and I like his Brazilian collaborations.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Anything flute...

Unread post by Fretless »

Check out the Dodax webshop - I see a couple of Susan Milan Cd's there at a reasonable price. 'Out of the Cool' looks interesting.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ