Music and intelligence

All music posts here please.
karatestu
Great Britain

Music and intelligence

Unread post by karatestu »

Can you judge a persons level of intelligence by what music they listen to ? Or how broad their taste is?

I always assume that people who listen to a lot of classical or jazz are the more intelligent people in society and the ones who listen to throw away pop are the plebs. I know it is stereotyping but i cant help it. Age has probably something to do with it too.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Music and intelligence

Unread post by George Hincapie »

No.

karatestu
Great Britain

Oh
DIY FREE ZONE

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

I kind of know what you mean Stu, but just no.
I know and work with guys/girls who listen (imo) to the most god awful drivel, but are very cultured and intelligent individuals.
I think of all the things in life you can judge people with, music isn't one of them.
I mean, we like what we like and thats that.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Recent research with brain scans has shown that concentrated listening to music activates a large number of cerebral areas. Making music is possibly the most involving and complex operation that the human brain can perform.

Don't know if there is much correlation between intelligence and taste though.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

karatestu
Great Britain

It must be just me and i am obviously pissed and full of bollocks.

If i work at it maybe i could be the new Jammy ?
DIY FREE ZONE

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I think to answer the question, you have to define what you mean by intelligence. Is it the capability to solve puzzles? Or the ability to understand your own feelings and motivations and those of others? (To describe just two forms of intelligence: ratiocination and emotional intelligence.)
I don't know, and don't really have an opinion on the OP, but I do think it's an interesting question.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

joe

Unread post by joe »

karatestu wrote:Can you judge a persons level of intelligence by what music they listen to ? Or how broad their taste is?

I always assume that people who listen to a lot of classical or jazz are the more intelligent people in society and the ones who listen to throw away pop are the
Not really; some intelligent people just don't like music that much, but I think people who listen to Bach played on harpsichords are generally reckoned to be in the genius class, because normal people such as myself can't bear to listen to it. A glance at peoples' bookshelves might be more revealing of their intelligence. (If they have no bookshelves, it's safe to assume they're dullards).

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

My music collection spans every genre from Monteverdi to american prison work songs and most things in between ,but i wouldn't say i was intelligent,more, just open minded.I also live in a house full of books and pictures, no wonder my head is a bit cluttered.... 8-) :grin:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Almost certainly no correlation. However, what is much more interesting is the psychology of how we listen to recorded music . For example, for some people, pace, rhythm and timing are everything. For others, being able to unravel the elements with very transparent systems and pinpoint 3D imaging are more important. I tend to err towards the latter group whilst recognising the importance of some of the former.