Is Prog a bunch of self indulgent nonsense

All music posts here please.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Is Prog a bunch of self indulgent nonsense

Unread post by CN211276 »

Fretless wrote:Why didn't somebody warn me ..... ?

Sometimes an album comes out of nowhere, unexpected, and just totally blows you away. This is what 'The Mountain' from UK proggers Haken has done to me.
Stunning. :o

The opening lulls you into a sense of serenity with delicate piano and sensitive vocals until the band blasts in with power and a take-no-prisoners attitude. Think of a cross between IQ and Dream Theater playing classic Yes. But there's more - not only are this lot incredibly technically accomplished muso's but they can also sing - seriously, the best multi-voiced outfit since Yes or (closer) Gentle Giant; Haken can also recreate the Baroque choral polyphony that the Shulman brothers copyrighted back in the 70's to amazing effect.

Here is a hilarious (to me) video of the track 'Cockroach King':
HAKEN - Cockroach King - (Single Version)

It's not just a display of virtuosity - there are great songs in there with attention-grabbing arrangements and sudden shifts between jazz, math-rock, classical, ambient, you name it...
Checking out some live clips they can easily reproduce the material live and I've spotted 6-string basses and 8-string guitars being used. No standard instrumentation here.

Bizarre, bizarre, bizarre ... and great !!! :music-rockon:
A good description of the album, have given this a couple of plays and like it. I will investigate more of their albums.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Is Prog a bunch of self indulgent nonsense

Unread post by Fretless »

Anathema -'The Optimist'

Been looking forward to this one - you know the feeling, an old favourite releases a new record and expectations are high. So when the opening number comes in with a triphop beat and Oasis-style britpop riffing then there is a moment of 'Eh, wot?'. The Optimist starts where 2001's 'A Fine Day to Exit' left off with a character on a beach walking into the surf. So there is a thematic line of rediscovery and new beginnings.

Just when you think it is all going to be more gloom and intensity, track 2 brings Lee Douglas and her angelic voice into play. This just stopped me dead in my tracks, the shivers were running up and down my spine and the sonic purity took my breath completely away. Yes, people, Anathema have done it again. They have crafted another album of emotional, soul-grabbing music that just refuses to be ignored.

Producer Tony Doogan has worked with Mogwai (also worth checking out if you don't know 'em) and brings the Post-Rock elements of Anathema's instrumental interplay to the fore. Revealing clearly that these are consummate musicians at the peak of their ability, still growing and moving on.

Anyway I'm off to play this one again, and again, and again .... :angelic-whiteflying:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest