Genesis Remasters on Vinyl

All music posts here please.
Daniel Quinn

Genesis Remasters on Vinyl

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Much to my chagrin , all I can find on the internet upon the subject of Genesis re-masters is contradictory obfuscation . I cannot find anyone who will tell you it is better ,worse or the same , explaining the reasons why they hold this view after comparing the two that I have been able to put my faith in . Some simply it is brilliant , using various adjective but not telling you why , some say it is worse or it is different and people like DSJR will tell you it as been re-mixed and sounds completely different to the original .

This as been a source of annoyance to me for a couple of years and as stopped my buying them . So I have decided to rectify the problem in the only manner I know . DIY . As cheaply as possible , so I will buying 1 a month if or until I decide I am wasting my money

I have purchased a 180gm 2015 release of Genesis Duke [1980] this or And then there were 3 , in my view of have the most to gain and I prefer Duke . Indeed when I was 17 whilst my mother was on holiday I painted an 12 feet rendition of Duke albumn cover on one of my bedroom walls .

it should arrive today . I will report back once I have listened to it ;)

Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Genesis Remasters on Vinyl

Unread post by Classicrock »

Duke is better than the original vinyl mainly because the original pressings are crap. I only have the post Gabriel titles on the new half speed cut vinyl but overall I can say they are worth buying. Different in most cases but not vastly different and better in some cases. Trick of the Tail sounds the most revised to me and inferior while I prefer the new Wind And Wuthering, Duke and Invisible Touch. That is as much a reflection on the original cuts as anything. Calling All Stations is better sounding than on SACD. In most cases the differences are down to personal preference but there is some apparent added compression on these but not at the levels that are being complained about for the CD editions. I would say the originals are more airy as they don't involve digital I believe up to Invisible Touch. However the new vinyl I found to be superbly pressed. You might actually like them.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

Thanks classic . Your synopsis is pretty similar to what I have read , It seems to be record and individual dependant . I shall see .

One thing though , Calling all Stations is not a Genesis album and will not enter DQ's abode ever . :naughty: ;)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Although not a vinyl buyer, I have now my third set of the Genesis catalogue on CD and am immensely impressed by the quality of the latest Nick Davis mixes. Thought that the previous 'Definitive Edition Remasters' sounded slightly flat and compressed although light-years better than the rushed digital copies that came out in the 80's (with the exception of 'Trick of the Tail' which was rather good).

The latest batch have a clear, natural and open sound with no hint of digital 'brightness' or compression. The CD's feel very 'analogue' in fact. LP's with these mixes will, I'm sure, please the purists like yourself, DQ. :grin:

I'm one of the heathen who do like 'Calling All Stations' although it would be better placed alongside 'Smallcreep's Day' and 'A Curious Feeling' as a worthy by-product of the Genesis canon. It is a more powerful and energetic album than 'We Can't Dance' though. A pity that line-up didn't get around to their planned second album as it could have been a more integrated effort.

There is a semi-bootleg live album 'Live in Poland' from the 'Calling All Stations' tour which, unfortunately, does sound like a professional cover band 'doing' Genesis with a Gabriel impersonator. Odd. :think:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

The Permed One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by The Permed One »

I have the Original Vinyl pressing but i find them rather Dull & Compressed, i cannot listern to them tbh. I also have the 90's Remasters on CD, they sound miles better to me. Then i bought the last Hybird SACD which i though sounded odd & some too bright especially 'Trick Of The Tail', The last batch of Vinyl remasters i also bought but sounded like the SACD CD which im guessing were taken from the same source. So im afraid i have to stick with the first 90's Remasters

Daniel Quinn

I have at least 4 copies of every genesis vinyl lp . The only one which is truly bad is "And then there were 3" Don't get me wrong , as examples of how good vinyl can sound they range 3 to 7 out of 10. But Genesis unlistenable , get away with yourself .

I spent my formative years listenining to them on cassette on a Walkman .

tomblackford
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by tomblackford »

I've heard three versions of Selling England which I feel have the following characteristics:
- Original vinyl (a bit dull sounding and lacking 'air', copy could be a bit worn I suppose)
- Definitive Remaster (favourite - but perhaps only because it was the one I had first)
- Nick Davis Remix (a bit too modern, especially drum mix)

I must admit that I find the original vinyl of A Trick Of The Tail to be far superior to the Nick Davis mix too - my copy has got a lovely warm sound (without the dullness on the cymbals that besets my Selling England a bit) and loads more balls than the modern remix.

Funnily enough I was listening to Genesis Live on vinyl the other day too, which seemed extremely close to what was on Spotify, which I guess is the Definitive Remaster (I don't think Nick Davis remixed that one). Perhaps a little warmer on vinyl...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I don't normally recommend MFSL from the 70s/80s (current product is great), but the Mo-Fi Trick Of The Tail is the best vinyl version out there.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

I have between 5-7 versions of each album, so I'll try and keep it brief...

Trespass - original Pink Scroll is good and punchy, if a little dull. All that came after it were dreadful, apart from the New Nick Davis remixed version in 2008: yes, it's a slightly different perspective, but there is a clarity to it which is very appealing. I like it a lot. SACD good too.

Nursery Cryme - Original Pink Scroll ('hilltop' in run out) is my favourite: really dynamic. The very first large hatter versions good too, all others meh. Nick Davis version ok: a bit 'stripped' bare in places.

Foxtrot - original large hatter with 'Porky' in run out is my favourite: it sounds fabulous. The common theme is that, as they get re-pressed, SQ suffers along the way. Again, the Nick Davis version in 2008 is very good (includes the additional 15 second fade-out to Suppers Ready).

Selling England - original large hatter 'Porky/Pecko' is excellent, considering there's 54 minutes of music on this album. Japanese version good too. Classic version also very meaty. Nick Davis version feels like a completely different mix: some will hate it, but I enjoy the more up-front drum mix. There was a Classic 4 x 45rpm version (similar to the Gabriel set) pressed for test purposes, and you can see these go for £300+. I'd love to hear one of those...

Lamb - close one this: it's between the original "Porky' cut and the Classic version (which is a dynamic beast). The Nick Davis version suffers from having a decidedly odd mix, which I find hard to enjoy.

Trick of the Tail - completely agree with Classicrock: the MFSL is just awesome. I wish I had a second copy, as I suspect I'll eventually wear out my first one. Original vinyl is good too: I'm ambivalent about the Nick Davis version.

W&W: an original German pressing is pretty special, and certainly sounds more powerful to my ears than the UK 1st pressing. I'm not a fan of the Nick Davis version here.

Duke: again, I have no problem with the original vinyl. The Japanese one sounds muted, the new Nick Davis mix just doesn't sit right with me, but I know others like it.

After these, take your pick: there are enough decent nick (and cheap) original copies to do multi-comparisons. Early US pressings are not great until the Lamb (and early ones used a Porky/Pecko cut), so that one is worth hunting out. Some of the German pressings are good too as an alternative.

In terms of CDs, the interesting versions are the DVD-As that came with the original Nick Davis box set. My Universal CDP has a 'mix down' facility for the 5:1 mixes, and you get a different perspective again. I prefer these to the SACDs, especially the 76-82 and 83-98 versions.

I'm in agreement on the "Calling all Stations" album: it's basically bits of solo Banks and Rutherford tunes. Not necessarily bad, but not Genesis either. The tour (I went to 2 gigs) was a crushing disappointment for me.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Daniel Quinn

"Duke: again, I have no problem with the original vinyl. The Japanese one sounds muted, the new Nick Davis mix just doesn't sit right with me, but I know others like it."

I find it a bit wholly , undynamic and muffled on complex passages . which robs the songs of some of their power . Contrast it with Hugh Padgams production on Abacab. I know that Collins had gone all earth wind and fiery by the time of the 3 sides live tour and so songs like behind the lines and duchess are more funkier , but they are much better portrayed on 3 sides live .