George Martin's Coat of Arms

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

George Martin's Coat of Arms

Unread post by slinger »

Sir George was granted his own coat of arms in March 2004 by the College of Arms.

First a quick FYI - Azure=Blue, Argent=Silver, Or=Gold, Sable-Black

At the top is an open helmet which indicates that the coat of arms belongs to a member of the nobility and perched on top of that is a House Martin holding a recorder

The shield features three beetles (just because it balanced the design better than 4, not a deliberate slight or a dead Beatle or anything untoward apparently) and the Latin motto Amore Solum Opus Est which sort of roughly translates to "All You Need Is Love."

There's a completely blank musical staff across the centre. There's also a jigsaw-like strip enclosing them of which more later.

Those curly bits at the top of the wreath sure look like they're giving someone the finger.

The inscription, or Motto, partly hidden, "For God And The Empire" is the wording found on The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (The M.B.E.) which The Beatles received...and which John Lennon later returned as a protest against the Vietnam war.

That's an MBE medal and the medal presented on receiving a knighthood (he was made a Knight Bachelor, the lowest order of Knights) hanging off of the bottom of the motto.

This bit is total guesswork, but as Sir George served as a pilot in the Royal Navy perhaps the predominantly blue (Azure) colour of the coat of arms is to represent the sea. The "jigsaw" motif in the middle of the shield is an heraldic device that represents clouds, so perhaps that Fess Nubly (jigsaw thingy) stands for the sky. Sea and sky - Navy pilot. Makes sense to me anyway.

The Zebra crossed by an Abbot's crozier at the bottom (the Badge, as opposed to the Crest) must be a reference to the cover of Abbey Road where the 4 Beatles are on a Zebra Crossing.

The official description from the Royal College of Arms is...
Arms: Azure on a Fess nebuly Argent between three Stag Beetles Or. Five Barrulets Sable.

Crest (upon a Helm with a wreath Argent and Azure): A House Martin proper holding under the sinister wing a Recorder in bend sinister mouthpiece downwards Or.

Badge: A Zebra statant proper supporting with the dexter foreleg over the shoulder an Abbot's Crozier Or.

And yes, I do have too much time on my hands at the moment and I actually had fun researching it. :roll:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: George Martin's Coat of Arms

Unread post by jammy395 »

Yep you definitely need to get out more Slinger, but since your knees are shot, you can be excused .... :lol:
Serious though.......fascinating.

:clap: :guiness;

He was indeed some bloke........rip.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Only three Beetles. What is he saying? The Arms were granted in 2004 by which time there were only two Beatles left. However, if John is represented in absentia by the allusion to the MBE, perhaps they represent Paul, George and Ringo.

I think the medals at the bottom are both George Martins - CBE and the Knights Bachelor. The MBE is not enameled.

PS If you want to find the Zebra, you need to look here. http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news- ... rge-martin
PPS I wonder if Queenie kept Johns returned medal - it would be worth a small fortune on the collectors market.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Terry, the reason for there only being three beetles is exactly as I wrote, it's simply because it's more aesthetically pleasing and no other reason. That's one of the bits I didn't make up. :lol:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

:oops:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

You should see some of the mystical bollox I came across while I was researching it. The most common was that we all know tPaul McCartney died in the 1966, when he crashed his Aston Martin and for years has been replaced by an impostor. One way you can prove (and I use the word prove in it's other context, where it actually means "I'm f*ck*ng insane") he's dead because of all the symbolic references on the cover of Abbey Road. This is from ONE site alone...
1.It’s a funeral procession.
That’s what theorists likened to the photo of the band crossing the North London Street. They point out that John Lennon’s white suit symbolized the color of mourning in some Eastern religions while Ringo Starr is donned the more traditional black. What they neglect to point out, however, is that George Harrison is wearing denim—the color of mourning in Canada.

2. The smoking gun!
Paul held his cigarette in his right hand, even though he is a lefty. Clearly this proves he is an imposter.

3. Paul’s feet are bare.
Why? It’s a reminder, they said, that in some cultures the dead are buried without their shoes. No word on what’s symbolized by the fact that Ringo Starr was going commando.

4. The license plate.
In the background we see a Volkswagen Beetle with the plate "LMW 28IF" Conspiracists claim this to mean that Paul would be 28 if he were alive. (Never mind the fact that he would actually have been 27 if the rumour were true.)

5. The police van.
Parked on the side of the road is a black police van, which is said to symbolize authorities who kept silent about Paul's fatal fender-bender. Say what you will the tenuousness of these symbols—there’s no denying that van is keeping mum.

The back cover of the album.

6. The girl in the blue dress
On the night of Paul’s supposed car accident, he was believed to have been driving with a fan named Rita. Theorists say the girl in the dress featured on the back cover was meant to be her, fleeing from the car crash.

7. Connect the dots.
Also on the back cover are a series of dots. Join some of them together and you can make the number three—the number of surviving Beatles. Join them all together and you’ve got the makings of the first Sudoku.

8. Broken Beatles sign.
On the back cover we see the band’s name written in tiles on a wall and there’s a crack running through it. Of all the symbols, this one turned out to be the most meaningful, and sad. Although the release of Abbey Road was followed with ample evidence that Paul was alive and well, what the public didn’t know was that The Beatles had secretly broken up. Abbey Road would be the band’s penultimate studio album, and the group would call it quits only a year late
Source = http://www.biography.com/news/beatles-a ... nniversary

This page tells you why Paul is dead according the Sgt, Pepper album - http://turnmeondeadman.com/paul-is-dead ... club-band/

I could go on. :lol: :lol: :lol: