Why do people like Jethro Tull

All music posts here please.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Why do people like Jethro Tull

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think he is a hotchpotch of noise (I keep wanting to ask him to blow his nose) and unmusical riffs and chord structures and timing. What am I missing.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Why do people like Jethro Tull

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well I tried, I winced through side 1 of original masters, but half way through side two I have given up, it is just an unmusical noise. Prog gone wrong.

joe

Unread post by joe »

I'm with you on this one. Couple of good singles, then endless overblown concept albums with that ugly get hopping round on one leg, gurning like a twat.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I don't picture Ian Anderson hopping when listening to Tull. Some of their stuff is overblown but other albums have more concise material and I always liked the Introduction of flute into rock. Try Stand Up, Benefit and Songs From The Wood. Tull aren't strictly prog in style. Originally more blues but a lot of folk elements later. Original Masters though containing the 'hits' doesn't hang together very well.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I have been a fan for 44yrs after first hearing Aqualung at friends house. This was not an immediate attraction but took maybe 3-5 listens but then I was hooked. This has been the case with most of JTs LPs I have since purchased except it is down to 2-4 listens due to the fact I am more accustomed to their 'house sound'. I would never have said the riffs were unmusical [Doc] since I have always thought Martin Barre to have a very musical and relaxed way of playing the guitar. Two recommendations would be Minstrel in the Gallery and Crest of a Knave to see if this will change your mind. I can fully understand why some people (even friends of mine) don't like them and maybe never will, for me I cannot get into classical music or opera. One more thing Ian Anderson has written some first class lyrics and I can remember one reviewer stating if he had not been a musician he would surely have been a poet.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The Original Masters cd was itself mastered sans Dolby A processing and sounds strange. Ian Anderson used to have a strange attitude to the people who paid for his lifestyle by buying his records and attending his gigs, but I have to say I like some of it. I didn't 'get' Aqualung as an eleven year old, but I did like Thick As A Brick, although he again seems to be having a go at the 'fans' of the band all through it.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Hmm. Jethro Tull - one of the bands I have a love/hate relationship with. When I'm In the right mood the Tull are brilliant; powerful, intense, unpredictable and eccentric, but there are long stretches when I find the music of Ian Anderson overblown and severely self-indulgent.

I have most of their albums and mainly play 'Thick as a Brick' or 'A' - although 'Songs From the Wood' is the one I would recommend to first-timers.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

First of all, "He" is a "They" and they have changed styles over the years. Try listening to 'Crest of a Knave' and seeing if you'd have recognised the same band that recorded Aqualung without being told beforehand. I always think it owes more to Dire Straits than older Tull albums. Good lyrics too.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbJ7AMtTR64[/BBvideo]
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Jethro Tull are shite . End of .

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses, Aqualung - is the triumvirate and should be in everyone's collection but Minstrel, Benefit and Stand up are also worth having, if not as accessible for neophytes.

Crest of a Knave and Broadsword and the Beast are second division but listenable. Anything after Crest is not worth the bother.

of the older stuff 'A', Under Wraps and Stormwatch are all a bit crap. Under Wraps being all synthesiser. Dire.

As a live album I would recommend 'A Little Light Music' which is semi-acoustic versions of the usual favourites. Excellent sound quality.

Seen them live twice in 1990 and again in '94. Victoria Hall, Hanley. 3 hour set, couldn't fault it.

In case you are concerned about DQ's verdict I should point out he thinks early Genesis is the be all and end all of music. Credibility? Where is thy sting? :|