Peter Gabriel 45rpm remasters

All music posts here please.
paskinner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Peter Gabriel 45rpm remasters

Unread post by paskinner »

Just been released....I've bought all four (1 to 4) LPs, all half speed remastered and at 45rpm I've only had time to listen to some of the tracks (such as 'Biko') but I am disappointed.To me, the sound has that characteristically 'bleached' quality you get from poorly done digital, as if tonal colour has been leeched out. I heard that as soon as I put a track on, so then looked-up the recording history. While the LPs 1 to 3 were recorded on analogue, the remastering uses a 96/24 hi rez file. My original copy sounds warmer, fuller and with better bass.
Theoretically, that hi rez should be perfectly transparent; but it doesn't sound it to my ears. Pity, but my own advice (for what it's worth!) would be to buy good condition originals rather than this re-issue. This being udio, some people will feel differently. It's just worth being cautious.

Macca

Re: Peter Gabriel 45rpm remasters

Unread post by Macca »

It is the re-mastering you are having an issue with, not the digital file. Your analogue original will still have been converted to digital for the cutting lathe.

The re-mastering engineer probably feels that his take on things is the better effort. Of course these things are completely subjective. I do tend to try to avoid re-masters for this reason. Some are improvements but mostly they got it right first time.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

That is perennial problem with PG's work , two much post recording digital trikery. *

it is not unknown for him to have 100's of different recordings of the same song and put the best bits to make the version that ends up on the album .

On us , there are several songs to my ears that have a disjointed quality as if each word sung a comes from a different original digital recording . He also uses B&W speakers .

all the "liveness" as been taken out of many of his recordings

*pg 4 onwards
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Progmeister
Great Britain

Unread post by Progmeister »

Interesting. I will proceed with caution as I was going to start buying these. Just been listening to the new Gilmour album on vinyl ( my third copy) and much prefer the digital option.
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

alfer

Unread post by alfer »

I worked out to go for originals on CD having heard some of the remaster versions. Who values these high tizz versions, the timing fetishists?

There are exceptions but often as not the originals are more musical to my ears
AtoZ

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

p.s - play PG 1 , that is the only 1 were the original vinyl is so compressed it spoils it . Which considering the dynamics on the Lamb vinyl is a mystery and a shame .

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

I've bought all 4 as well (suckers are we...)

'One' was always a claustrophobic mix (I've got 2 x LP, 1 x cd, 1 x sacd versions): there is certainly more dynamics on show on this new 2 x 45rpm version, but it cannot hide the fact that the original production was overblown. I think 'Two' is relatively successful: it seems to bring out a lot more from Fripp's sparse production. Haven't had the chance to play 3 & 4 yet: there's a lot of relatively ambivalent views out in forum land, but I'll let my ears decide.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I got 'So' digitally remastered some time ago. (B&W Society of Sound). However, I've never bothered to do the A to B comparison. It's an album that seems to promise more than it delivers in either format.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I have a PG box set on CD from years ago - 1 - 4 and they sounded ok to me when I played them last a long time ago. We used PG III a lot for dems back then.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Theo wrote:I've bought all 4 as well (suckers are we...)

'One' was always a claustrophobic mix (I've got 2 x LP, 1 x cd, 1 x sacd versions): there is certainly more dynamics on show on this new 2 x 45rpm version, but it cannot hide the fact that the original production was overblown. I think 'Two' is relatively successful: it seems to bring out a lot more from Fripp's sparse production. Haven't had the chance to play 3 & 4 yet: there's a lot of relatively ambivalent views out in forum land, but I'll let my ears decide.
I don't think the originals sound that great (only have I and III). In terms of openness and dynamics these are superior but they do tend to deconstruct the mix a little too much spoiling that flow you get with all analogue. However the criticisms on SH forum are more to do with comparisons to the Classic Records versions. These AAA cuts are certainly superior in terms of listenability especially the Clarity 45 rpm. At the price they are a good purchase and just had to try them with the bargain package from Real World in spite of having all the Classic 33 and 45 plus some originals. I found some of the discs plagued by pops and crackle until a couple passes through my RCM - then they have pretty nr quiet backgrounds. They are really cheap for double 45 rpm vinyl so on that basis would recommend them even though the digital remastering could have been done better. They are also cut very loud compared with most modern vinyl and even vintage so ideal volume position is even below that for most CDs.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)