Queen Fans......!!!

All music posts here please.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Queen Fans......!!!

Unread post by jammy395 »

Last edited by jammy395 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Queen Fans......!!!

Unread post by terrybooth »

"This is how listeners first heard the now legendary Queen in the 1970’s when vinyl was the predominant format for recorded music."

Clearly aimed at people who have either managed to forget or who are too young to have known. Hey ho. Look forward to the Cassette Tape Revival (not).
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

They released a box many years ago from 'digitally mastered' recordings. Don't know if this set is from these masterings, or totally fresh. The mixes are often so complex with layers of overdubs I'm not sure vinyl can handle it all, however carefully cut and pressed...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Rick

Unread post by Rick »

Fantastic thank you.

Will be purchasing the box set.

jammy395

So will I Rick - It's been a long time coming, a bargain to boot.

"The show must go on" :dance: :guiness;

Think I may have to invest in a new Goldie stylus. ;)

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Like all half speed Abbey Road vinyl these use 24/96 files though they claim this was necessary to correct damaged aging tapes. Actually the difference from AAA should not be too much. I have a feeling though the sound of first Uk pressings will always be better cut from a fresh master tape. Unfortunately for me much of their 80s material musically and sound wise rather grates (after 'The Game' ). Hopefully sound can be improved here. Tempting depending on actual selling price. I would rather these used black rather than gimmicky coloured vinyl which often is more prone to pressing flaws.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

jammy395

Classicrock wrote:Like all half speed Abbey Road vinyl these use 24/96 files though they claim this was necessary to correct damaged aging tapes. Actually the difference from AAA should not be too much. I have a feeling though the sound of first Uk pressings will always be better cut from a fresh master tape. Unfortunately for me much of their 80s material musically and sound wise rather grates (after 'The Game' ). Hopefully sound can be improved here. Tempting depending on actual selling price. I would rather these used black rather than gimmicky coloured vinyl which often is more prone to pressing flaws.
The box-set offers many other special features. Most noticeable is the colored vinyl: designed for collectors, each album has been given a different color, in keeping with its original artwork, giving a unique record-deck experience. The color discs have been custom-produced especially for this set, using new material technology which ensures the sound quality is uncompromised.

Price - £285.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 14210.html

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

jammy395 wrote:
Classicrock wrote:Like all half speed Abbey Road vinyl these use 24/96 files though they claim this was necessary to correct damaged aging tapes. Actually the difference from AAA should not be too much. I have a feeling though the sound of first Uk pressings will always be better cut from a fresh master tape. Unfortunately for me much of their 80s material musically and sound wise rather grates (after 'The Game' ). Hopefully sound can be improved here. Tempting depending on actual selling price. I would rather these used black rather than gimmicky coloured vinyl which often is more prone to pressing flaws.

The box-set offers many other special features. Most noticeable is the colored vinyl: designed for collectors, each album has been given a different color, in keeping with its original artwork, giving a unique record-deck experience. The color discs have been custom-produced especially for this set, using new material technology which ensures the sound quality is uncompromised.

Price - £285.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 14210.html
I would rather that they were authentic reproductions of the originals on black vinyl but that's just me. I can't imagine what new vinyl technology they have come up with for the coloured vinyl apart from more diligent QC. Doesn't say where pressed? Either Optimal or GZ most likely (would bet on Optimal). £285 is a fair whack for me as I've already blown far too much on box sets but maybe Amazon will bring this down. Will only jump if positive reports on pressing and SQ surface on SHF.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Just get the bloody CD's FFS!!!!!

Queen in the 70's didn't, by Brian May's admittance, didn't make particularly 'good sounding' records. I've read in one of the biographies that it wasn't until the band started to hear their stuff in European disco's that they started to realise how important the sound quality of their tracks actually was.

The Works sounds good on original vinyl, but some tracks are better 'sounding' than others and this is magnified on the 12" singles I have of a couple of tracks (Gaga & 'Break Free).

Assuming the digital transfers have been done with care, why pay a small fortune for further eq and filtering to get it down on vinyl? Half speed mastering may preserve a little bit more top though, but not sure how the bass gets bodged as it always is in normal speed cutting.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395

Ive already got the cds Dave.
Will let you know how the Vinyl sounds when they arrive September.