Rick Wakeman

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Rick Wakeman

Unread post by slinger »

If the title got your interest then hopefully it's not just to lambast me for my "prog" leanings. Not everyone realises it, but Rick is one of the greatest rock raconteurs still treading the earth. What I want to share is an interview I've just rediscovered after spouting on about seeing it when it was first broadcast on the TV show "Danny Baker After All." It's in two parts so I'll post them in order.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZMFD0IxKg[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlJ7g_TOPeU[/BBvideo]

I'm now hunting down any interviews I missed, including some from a great show Rick himself hosted. Search YouTube for Rick Wakeman Face to Face if you want to see "rock" musicians interviewed more honestly than you've ever seen before.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rick Wakeman

Unread post by Andrew »

Yep. Bloody funny guy. I loved seeing his interviews

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I think there's a rather fine book he's recently written.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

He had a company making flight cases in the early 80's. He had the industrial unit next to me on Tresham Rd, Watermead Ind Est, Peterborough. Got to know him quite well. Pretty full of himself.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Yep gotta take yer hat of to the man - A total Wanker, made millions......... :guiness;

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

He was behind me in Ipswich M&S a few years ago.
I only noticed because he was getting a right "ear bashing" from his missus - something about he wasn't appreciative enough of some clothing that she had been trying on; felt quite sorry for the bloke (and a realisation that fame and fortune don't prevent humdrum "domestics").
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

At long last there are new remastered and deluxe editions of RW's classic early 70's albums coming out. I can't wait to hear 'Six Wives of Henry VIII' - been waiting for that for years.

I met Rick in about 1980 - his hands were absolutely enormous!

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

nerica19

Unread post by nerica19 »

jammy395 wrote:Yep gotta take yer hat of to the man - A total Wanker, made millions......... :guiness;
Yes, he did some dreadful indulgent stuff and isn't the comedian than he sometimes tries to be. But he did talk some sense about Moogs and the Yes years when interviewed on the last part of Neil Brand's BBC4 three-part series the Sound of Song. Think it's still on iPlayer and worth a watch as a 3-hour skim history of musical recording techniques and also some nice digital/CD/vinyl opinion towards the end - but even the first part about wax cylinders was interesting.

The BBC prog about the history of Marshall amps has been put back on iPlayer too and is also worth a watch.
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Really successful people are often full of themselves I think. They HAVE to be to get on. Just read a bio on Robert Plant and he's always been 'driven' to move forward and not rest on his laurels - basically a good guy I think, who's had some severe personal knock-backs in the past.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Hey, some of us out here do actually like RW's indulgent albums, the man can play! And its no wonder that half the classic albums from the early 70's have him on them. He was, for a while, the busiest session keyboard man in London.

Another grossly underrated solo album from the Yes stables is 'Fish Out of Water' by Chris Squire (also featuring RW and Bill Bruford, 3/5 of Yes). So just to punish you all I'm going to have a thoroughly self-indulgent listen to 'Going For the One' and I might even enjoy it :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450