Share a discovery with me!

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Share a discovery with me!

Unread post by slinger »

My first discovery is Alberic Magnard. While I'm sure there's at least one person reading this who will think "Yeah, so, I've listened to his stuff for years" my idea is to place your personal discoveries of that one musician/composer/whatever you think the majority of us haven't heard, and really should.

If you have heard of the suggested artist then chime in, like or dislike, if you haven't then perhaps you'll like them, and we'll have broadened your musical horizons (and how pretentious does THAT sound? :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Seriously though, whatever the musical style, and perhaps combining and amplifying threads from "CLASSICAL...recommendations" to "Broadly defined avant-garde and modern music" let's share.

Alberic Magnard is a French composer who studied under Massenet and whose symphonies I would include in the very loose grouping of "Romantic." especially perhaps his 3rd.

A historical footnote, and I'll have to quote directly from Wikepedia here, but this demands respect - "In 1914, at the beginning of World War I, Magnard sent his wife and two daughters to a safe hiding place while he stayed behind to guard the estate of Manoir de Fontaines at Baron, Oise. When German soldiers trespassed, he fired at them, killing one of them, and they fired back and set the house on fire. It is believed that Magnard died in the fire, but his body could not be identified in the remains."

So, there he is, Alberic Magnard. I'd never heard of him until recently but I'm now a fan. You can pick up a 3 CD set of his symphonies via Amazon and it's definitely worth every penny of the eight and a half quid I paid for it.

Now, who have you heard of that I haven't, and really should have? It's not often I'll ask you to persuade me to part with my hard earned cash, so make the most of it. Come all ye - folkies, rockers, jazzers, classicists, etc. et al.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Re: Share a discovery with me!

Unread post by jandl100 »

Definitely modern - and yes, kind of strange.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elisabeth-Val ... 43a756847f
Lots of copies available from this excellent value eBay source.

There's a haunting beauty to this album.
I'm not sure I can describe it - ya just have to give it a listen! :D
There are excerpts on YouTube, but the album is very varied.
Try this sampler -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMc54po2kbs -- but it doesn't really capture the 'magic'.

And the sound quality is top notch, demonstration class. :clap:

Many visitors to Jerry Towers have been subjected to this - most scrabble for pen & paper, or these days get their iphone out :lol: .
Last edited by jandl100 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jandl100

A bit different - baroque sonatas for solo lute. :shock:

I find the music totally captivating, hanging on spellbound for the next note.

And the sound quality is superb, really capturing the finely detailed sound of a solo plucked instrument in a fairly reverberant space. The focussed sound image of the lute is subtley embedded in a church acoustic. :clap:

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Worth resurrecting from the old forum
I give you the Lovely Eggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uuMy2ZN7A8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOsFadmH584

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I love this :D :lol: the difference in pronunciation between forget it and fuck it even caught out the Dali Lama - what a nice man though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbC-TXNG ... re=related

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

He may well be the nicest man that has ever lived. Their is more to this than meets the eye I fancy...
Jerry, do I detect a hint of Marianne Faithful there,??
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

jandl100

wallace wrote:Jerry, do I detect a hint of Marianne Faithful there,??
In looks, now that you mention it Ms Valletti has that kind of demure, eyes downcast aura about her.
-- I wonder if she is as raunchy in real life as Ms Faithful was .... :o :P

Musically - a different planet, I suspect. :lol:

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Recent biggest discovery? Probably Kashiwa Daisuke and his neoclassical pieces. There's a quick review in the video's description.
(...) His aim, so precise, causes the glass to fall into a perfect shape in its shattered form, much like Picasso's cubist paintings or Dali's melted clocks. (...)
And he does it perfectly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByD5ORT6Mcw
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

jandl100

Love the keyboard and the twangy music :clap: - but what's with the weird noises? :hand: :think: :naughty:

OK OK , so I must be missing the point! :lol:

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

That's the charm of modern music, people experiment with sound in every possible way they can. This kind of treatment should make you experience a beautiful, fragile piece that is partially broken, but still in good 'working condition'. At least it makes me feel like that, I love such play of emotions.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum