Last Live Listen

All music posts here please.
guydarryl

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by guydarryl »

Joan Armatrading at the Apex, Bury St Edmunds on Tuesday.

Excellent small venue, I was very impressed with the power and phrasing of Joan's voice - she's still got it.
Only possible improvement would have been perhaps a percussionist and bass player. She did it all solo, beautifully, but I would have liked to have seen some interplay with a couple of classy musicians.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Last night I saw Matthew Halsall, a jazz trumpeter and band, the Gondwana Orchestra at the Abbeydale Picture House in Sheffield. This was part of a celebration of 10 years of Matthew's record label, Gondwana Records.

Line up consisted of trumpet, double bass, drums, keys, Irish harp and the bonus of having special guest Chip Wickham on flute and soprano sax, Chip has released my favourite album of 2018, Shamal Wind so I was especially pleased to hear him play.

I was a bit concerned while watching the support act as their sound was pretty poor. I needn't have worried though because the main act sounded fantastic. The picture house seems to have been taken on as a restoration project with the aim of becoming a music venue.

The music consisted of spiritual jazz with subtle use of electronics in places to create loops and echoes which have some of the music a dub like feel which I really enjoyed. The music alternated between introspective and uptempo, with some brilliant group interaction and solos throughout. Some new tunes to be released next year were played as well as earlier compositions. it was a great gig and was my daughter's first experience of live jazz which she thoroughly enjoyed it too.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

keepitsimplestupid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

I was very fortunate to see Angela Hewitt last night. She performed all of the Well Tempered Clavier, in the round at the Crucible. Awesome venue, basically the small practice room that they use for the snooker but with stepped seating for 300 on three tiers. Somehow the Mrs managed to get ground floor tickets, which meant that for the first half I could have literally lent forward and tapped her on the shoulder, (they swung the piano through 180 for the second half).

What a remarkable evening of live music, note perfect from start to finish and simply sublime. I consider myself really lucky to have heard on the finest interpreters of Bach presenting the complete WTC. What a night.

Made even better by the fact that I had a chicken kebab on the way home. (classy me like)

keepitsimplestupid

GoGo Penguin, 3 piece Jazz trio from Manchester, at the Leadmill Sheffield on Tuesday Night. And John Grant at the Sheffield Octagon last friday with Richard Hawley as a late walk on guest.

davjam13
Great Britain

Unread post by davjam13 »

Hothouse Flowers Mon 5th November The Sage Gateshead!
Cleardio performance D.C.Turntable MCRU PSU Clearaudio Clarify arm Clearaudio Virtuoso v2 Ebony MM cartridge
Project cd box DS
pioneer vsx 531
interrconnects all Nva ssc
Nva ls3 biwire speaker cable
Linn Tukans front
monitor audio radius centre

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Saw Blackberry Smoke last night. Top quality southern rock mingled with country. A good concert although the set list could have been better. A band well worth checking out for those not familiar.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Anyone familiar with Courtney Barnett.?
Wednesday was the last night of her UK tour at Newcastle Northumbria University. A first for me at this venue, don’t know why it’s taken so long but I’ll certainly be back. Great sound, good viewing and reasonable priced for drinks. Reckon there was easily 1000 strong crowd, very busy.
Not that familiar with Courtney’s work, this one was a step-son suggestion and having been under the weather for several days, I wasn’t overly enthusiastic about going but at is turned out, really glad I did as it was a great set. Her music is a mix of Indy, Garage rock but chock full of melody and she usually finishes of each song with some heavy feedback guitar soloing. Most intriguing is her vocal delivery style which is a little deadpan, racking my brains trying to remember who she sounds like, best I could come up with is Jonathan Richmond.
Worth watching if you get the chance.

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

PFM live May Progfest

keepitsimplestupid

Courtney Barnett excellent, get her first album its a lyrical masterwork of down heel prose.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Saw South African blues-rocker Dan Patlansky at Bury Met on Sunday night. A really good set and he was ably supported by local rockers Gorilla Riot. Well worth the £20.

I was also supposed to be seeing Eddie and the Hot Rods last Friday at the same venue but that was cancelled due to illness apparently.