Share your favourite gig of all time.

All music posts here please.
Keithh
Has thanked: 0
Wales

Re: Share your favourite gig of all time.

Unread post by Keithh »

Best ever would have to be King Crimson at Friars Aylesbury on the Discipline tour closely followed by Curved Air at Alexandra Palace in the 70s, others of note would be Rammstein at Brixton Acadamy with full pyro and numerious gigs by Marillion in Milton Keynes before they got signed.
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Tend to agree that smaller is better :whistle:

Chuck Berry Ipswich - superb
Ray Davies Ipswich - only a few years ago, lots of new stuff which I hadn't heard before, Waterloo Sunset, just delightful. But the people of Ipswich need a kick up their collective arse, could only have been about 100 people yet Daniel O'Donnel regularly sells out there :roll:

We went to Dingwalls (Camden lock) in the punk era and got to talking with a good bunch of blokes while having a drink, after about 20 minutes they made their excuses as they had to get on stage! I think that they were called "the valves" or something similar. Again excellent night of bopping.

Some really good folk evenings over thirty years ago at the pub next to Hitchin railway station (can't remember the name of it now, possibly "the railway"?)

Been to see Stones (5 times over the years), Zep' Who, Clapton with Beck at the O2 etc. While they were events and very worthwhile, for connecting with the music/performance small venues (while cradling a pint) take a lot of beating.

Guy
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

Not doing much at the moment so gave some thought to past gigs that have had a big effect on me.

The first is fairly predictable; Floyd at Earls Court. The concert was fantastic but what is even better is that when I listen to the CD of the concert I am right back there and can visualise the whole experience.
The second is a gig in a small local hotel where Hamish Imlach gave a great performance. I still remember the words to his songs and jokes and can hear his amazing laugh.

I have been to lots of shows including Groundhogs, Rory gallagher, Stone the Crows, The Alexander Brothers, Roger Waters, Donovan,Page and Plant, Dire Straits, Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, Neil Diamond, etc but the two above are stand outs.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

So many good un's but 3 stick out.......

PINK FLOYD.
ELO.
JOE BONAMASSA.

walterwhite
Wales

Unread post by walterwhite »

1. Grateful Dead - Ally Pally '72 (I think)
2. The Who - Rainbow '71 (and at the Oval cricket ground same year IIRC)
3. Deep Purple - Odeon Leic.Sq.

Don't go to so many gigs these days, but I saw John Martyn in Cambridge about six months before his sad demise, and he was so out of it by the end that it was embarrassing. Joan Armatrading at the Theatre Royal in Norwich a couple of years back, and she's still fantastic. Great moment during 'Love and Affection', just as I'm wondering where the sax solo is going to come from, up stands the drummer, and does it note perfect - got a great round of applause :P

Bands I'd be willing to pay good money to see live these days? Muse, Phish and the Dead if Gerry was resurrected :violin:
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Floyd original wall concerts and the earls court concerts were big candidates
Fleetwood mac at Wembley recently with an arthritic stevie nicks, mick Fleetwood being hydrated by a stage hand whilst drumming, and awesome guitar from Lindsay Buckingham was fantastic a d my first big band gig with sue.

Very very special was brian may with kerry ellis- the born free concert at Tunbridge wells. So intimate - I was no mor than 10 ft from them, great atmosphere and personal interaction with the audience, and that boy can plsy guitar. Raised the bar a bit for sue & me - too far, but encouraged us that acoustic guitar and soprano works! :clap:
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Hmm... I was at that Stones gig in Hyde Park too. Wot a long time ago that was.

My favourite was seeing John Williams and Julian Bream live in 1980 something at the Fairfield Hall in Croydon, closely followed by Judas Priest in London in I think 2002. My new wife dragged me along, protesting all the way about "its not Bach is it?".... and it was terrific, great show and fun watching all the HM fans doing their thing. I had ringing in the ears for about three days afterwards though.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

How about resurrecting a 2 year old thread?

Like everyone else on here I've seen lot's of the usual suspects over the years starting with The Groundhogs at Manchester's Free Trade Hall (now a bloody hotel unfortunately) in 1972. Far too many to mention, but the one gig my mates and I still talk about was in 1977 at the Kings Hall, Belle Vue in Manchester (well, a small function room, not the main hall!) when punk broke and we all went along to watch The Pirates who'd reformed on the back of the success of Dr.Feelgood. Us and about 50 other hardy souls had the time of our lives, a stonking great slice of British R 'n' B. Mick Green, what a legend, no wonder Wilko Johnson cites him as his biggest influence, phenomenal guitarist. Also, you wouldn't argue with this band either..

.. possibly the most exciting 90 minutes I've had at a concert ( the 8 pints probably helped as well )