Obits

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Obits

Unread post by slinger »

Jim Steinman, Hitmaker for Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Dead at 73
Songwriter and composer also worked with Celine Dion, Air Supply, Barry Manilow, and more

Rock and pop hitmaker Jim Steinman, who wrote and composed music for Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Celine Dion, and more, died Monday, April 19th. He was 73.

The office of the chief medical examiner in Connecticut confirmed Steinman’s death to Rolling Stone. A cause of death was not given.

A statement posted on Steinman’s Facebook page read, “It’s with a heavy heart that I can confirm Jim’s passing. There will be much more to say in the coming hours and days as we prepare to honour this giant of a human being and his glorious legacy. For now, do something that makes you feel young, happy and free. He’d want that for you!”

Steinman’s wholly unique career found him working as a composer, lyricist, and producer for an array of artists in a variety of styles. According to a biography on his website, the records he’s worked on have sold more than 190 million copies worldwide. He was nominated for four Grammys over the course of his career as well, ultimately winning Album of the Year for his work on Dion’s 1996 smash, Falling Into You.

One of the actors who auditioned for More Than You Deserve was Meat Loaf, and he and Steinman soon struck up a close personal and professional relationship. The two began working on Meat Loaf’s proper solo debut, Bat Out of Hell, in the early Seventies, but the album wouldn’t be released until 1977. It wasn’t until about one year later — after Meat Loaf performed on Saturday Night Live — that the album became a certified hit.

There is no other songwriter ever like him,” Meat Loaf said at Steinman’s induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2012. “I can never repay him. He has been such an influence, in fact, the biggest influence on my life, and I learned so much from him that there would be no way I could ever repay Mr Jim Steinman.

Despite the success of Bat Out of Hell, however, Meat Loaf and Steinman’s relationship began to fray after Steinman started working on a follow-up with Bruce Springsteen’s keyboardist Roy Bittan without telling Meat Loaf. Although they completed and released Dead Ringer in 1981, Steinman and Meat Loaf worked together much more sporadically, and they were frequently engaged in lawsuits against each other.

During the Eighties, Steinman collaborated with Barbra Streisand, the Sisters of Mercy, and Fire Inc. He produced Bonnie Tyler records including 1983’s Faster Than the Speed of Light (which contained the Steinman-penned hit “Total Eclipse of the Heart”) and 1986’s Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire; he composed the theme music for pro wrestler Hulk Hogan, and he wrote “Holding Out for a Hero” for the Footloose soundtrack (sung by Tyler). Meat Loaf also recorded a handful of Steinman songs for 1984’s Bad Attitude, while in 1989 Steinman released the album Original Sin with his group Pandora’s Box. (I must be one of the few people, in the UK certainly, to buy that :lol: )

The start of the Nineties found Meat Loaf and Steinman properly reuniting, and in 1993 they released Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell, which featured the hit, “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That).” A few years later, Steinman linked up with Dion, producing Falling Into You and writing her hit, “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now.” Steinman also took on several musical theatre projects in the Nineties, collaborating with Andrew Lloyd Webber on Whistle Down the Wind and crafting his own project, Tanz der Vampire, which opened in Austria in 1997.

In 2006, Meat Loaf released Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose, which was credited and promoted as another production with Steinman, but the pair were once again embroiled in a legal dispute and sparsely collaborated on it (In an interview with Rolling Stone, Meat Loaf admitted the album “should have never happened” and said, “To me, that record is nonexistent.”) But the pair once again overcame their differences, and in 2016 they released what would become their last album together, Braver Than We Are.

LINK
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
CN211276 (Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:22 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Sad news, he was quite a talent. I played Bat out of hell 2 the other day.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

😔
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Curious silence about this one. Probably reflects the gender balance on the forum. :mrgreen:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... dApp_Other
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

My older sisters used to play the rollers quite a bit. I was more in to The Wurzels. :geek:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:29 pm My older sisters used to play the rollers quite a bit. I was more in to The Wurzels. :geek:
I saw them once, in the first class cabin of a Trident at Terminal 1, Heathrow. Obviously they weren't playing at the time and I was working, I just knew they were there.

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:33 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:29 pm My older sisters used to play the rollers quite a bit. I was more in to The Wurzels. :geek:
I saw them once, in the first class cabin of a Trident at Terminal 1, Heathrow. Obviously they weren't playing at the time and I was working, I just knew they were there.
You saw the wurzels ? Respect, we are not worthy :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 pm
Unfortunately not the Wurzels! The rollers, though I would have much preferred to have seen the Wurzels, I actually liked their music.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

terrybooth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:19 pm Curious silence about this one. Probably reflects the gender balance on the forum. :mrgreen:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... dApp_Other
My mum, thinking she was being trendy and down with the kids bless her, bought me a Xmas card one year that said Keep On Rolling This Xmas, and signed by all the boys.

I was 19, long greasy hair, wore faded denim and was heavily into the Groundhogs at the time :oops:

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:31 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 pm
Unfortunately not the Wurzels! The rollers, though I would have much preferred to have seen the Wurzels, I actually liked their music.
My prize possession is a signed copy of Combine Harvester 12" :dance: It's worth £10 :guiness; , not nearly as much as some of the Led Zep and Beatles first pressings I have but worth a lot more to me. They wrote some cracking songs like Blackbird I'll ave thee and Champion muck spreader. Those were the days.
DIY FREE ZONE