Your last listen

All music posts here please.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Your last listen

Unread post by Fretless »

In one of my regular wild swings of musical taste I have descended into a period of early seventies folk/country/soft rock to soothe my soul. A mixed bag of discs has arrived with some good sounds like this: Cross Country 'Cross Country' (1973)

Cross Country - Today (1973)
Cross Country - Just A Thought (1973)
1973 Cross Country - In The Midnight Hour

This turns out to be an extremely rare album which I remember seeing around but never heard it until now. You would be forgiven for thinking that it is Crosby, Stills and Nash in disguise as their angelic harmony style is copied to perfection. The music varies from lightweight to prog bits that would do Gentle Giant proud. Odd, interesting and rather enjoyable. Now you can hear how CSN would do : 'In the midnight hour'. Groovy, man!

Then this. I had a copy of Firefall's 1976 debut album on vinyl in the 80's and liked their Eagles / Byrds mix of solid songs with a gentle and hard-rocking side to the various tracks. Really superb musicians and fantastic production here. Actually got it back then for the great cover and it vanished somewhere - nice to have it back again, a little-known classic.

FIREFALL FULL ALBUM SHM CD

Decided to get hold of Firefall's other albums which seem to be well-regarded. they sold well in the States and had a couple of hits along the way. Also featured bassist Mark Andes inbetween his working with Spirit and Heart - two other favourite bands.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Promo Notes:

Penny Rimbaud presents a reworking of Crass's album, Yes, Sir, I Will (1982), titled Yes Sir, The Truth Of Revolution. Crass' album, Yes, Sir, I Will, was possibly the most angry and hard hitting attack on the political/military/industrial complex ever consigned to vinyl. Written by Penny Rimbaud in 1982 at the height of the Falklands conflict, it seethes with righteous indignation over what he saw as a pointless but vicious exercise in vote catching by a government whose popularity was severely on the wane. So powerful was this critique that it led to threats of prosecution by that very same government, threats which were typically used by Crass to further their attacks on it and its tyrannical leader, Margaret Thatcher. Over thirty years later, in 2014, Rimbaud was asked to participate in the Rebellion Festival, a yearly punk gathering held in Blackpool, UK. Rimbaud and the festival organizers agreed that as an appropriate response they should open the event with a performance of Yes, Sir, I Will. Rimbaud began to question the relevance of some of the content of Yes, Sir. It seemed to him that much of it was pertinent only to the time in which it was written, a time when a genuine social uprising had appeared to be a very real possibility. But times change and there was, he felt, an element of aggression within the work which veiled its essential message of love and peace. With this in mind, and inspired by John Lennon's "All You Need is Love," he set about rewriting Yes, Sir from what he describes as a more Taoist viewpoint. He was largely able to satisfy his wish to change Yes, Sir into an expression of compassion, that being the hugely demanding realm of love in its unconditional form. For the Rebellion performance of the now retitled Yes, Sir, the Truth of Revolution, Rimbaud was joined by Crass' lead vocalist Eve Libertine plus a group of leading musicians from the London jazz scene. Named L'Académie Des Vanités, the band consisted of: Eve Libertine - vocals; Penny Rimbaud - vocals; Louise Elliott - sax; Kate Shortt - cello; Jennifer Maidman - guitar; Phil Robson - guitar; Thad Kelly - bass; Gene Calderazzo - drums. Equally, through its progressive and colorful imagery, the vibrant packaging designed by Gee Vaucher shows a refusal to harp back to the illusory golden past of punk dreams and conceits.

I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Fretless
Netherlands

Voice of an angel and an enormously gifted songwriter.

Nanci Griffith - 'One Fair Summer Evening'.
Every track is a diamond. :angelic-sunshine:

Youtube - Nanci Griffith - One Fair Summer Evening (All LP)

(something weird about this youtube vid - sounds like the stereo audio tracks are out of phase)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Laura Marling - Once I was an Eagle. One of my Xmas pressies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NsFge7q_gg

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

New (ish) album from Lindsay Buckingham and Christine McVie. Got it for Christmas. It's very good :dance:

It is in fact a Fleetwood Mac album without Stevie Nicks as Mick and John are playing on every song.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Really nice collection of honky tonk 'standards'...

Bartender come over here
I want to buy the next round of beer
Boys name your poison, don't nobody pass
We're all brother of a bottle an' glass...

I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

MarcoPisa

Unread post by MarcoPisa »

Day started with my 4 months old little angel in my arms and some good italian music from Francesco De Gregori and Fabrizio De André. I don't know if I can, but I will post a couple of youtube links,maybe somebody is interested in Italian singers:

https://youtu.be/sz6QkfWP-zU

https://youtu.be/f4841jZx7Gc
Geordie,if i am not wrong, is an ancient british ballade,here in italian

Fretless
Netherlands

Eclection 'Eclection' (1968)

The nice folks at Esoteric Records keep on finding wonderful, long-lost artefacts from way back when. I had a single taken from this and thought that they were a West-coast act like Jefferson Airplane. Turns out that Eclection were a London-based mix of Australian, Canadian and Norwegian musicians fronted by the gorgeous and talented Kerrilee Male. She vanished back to Oz after making this LP and left the music biz for good, pity.

This is a folky, proto-prog record with superb vocals which reminds me of the Jeffersons, Manas & Papa's, Renaissance and early (Judy Dyble) King Crimson. The tapes have been (as usual) lovingly restored and remastered.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Came very late to 'Eno' picked this up from e-bay for pence on CD. Ripped to server and away we go.