4 track Reel to Reel help.

How to get the best from the forum.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

4 track Reel to Reel help.

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

On sorting out my loft I have found 2 spools of tape , one of witch I believe is an at home recording of the "band" I was in. The other not sure. Both would have been recorded on a Ferograph series7 4track I owned circa 1966/7. Is there anyone who could transfer these to cd? Haven't heard them for such along time and it would be interesting (for me) to see how bad we were :oops: Will obviously pay for any costs/time involved. Who knows it might at least give you a great laugh :lol:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: 4 track Reel to Reel help.

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Ordinaryman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:17 pm On sorting out my loft I have found 2 spools of tape , one of witch I believe is an at home recording of the "band" I was in. The other not sure. Both would have been recorded on a Ferograph series7 4track I owned circa 1966/7. Is there anyone who could transfer these to cd? Haven't heard them for such along time and it would be interesting (for me) to see how bad we were :oops: Will obviously pay for any costs/time involved. Who knows it might at least give you a great laugh :lol:
Need rather more information please:
Reel size, 7" or 10.5"?
I assume 1/4" as that is what I have seen so far.
Tape speed 3.75, 7.5 or 15 ips, this is particularly important as if it is 15 ips it will need to be rerecorded because 15 ips machines are relatively rare. Basically play at 7.5 on to a second machine running at 3.75 then play that back at 7.5 to convert to .wav for a CD.
The web site I have looked at suggests the Series 7 was not released until 1978. That could obviously be wrong.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Hi Geoff, 7" reel 1/4" probably 7.5 speed. We also had a revox 15ips at the time but I'm pretty sure these were downloaded to the Ferograph. I still have the receipt for it somewhere will look it out its been a long long time, so some time scales could be out. I will do my best to find out what I can and will post. Thank you so much for your response it would mean a great deal if myself and my children could hear them irrespective of how bad they are :grin:

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Geoff , found receipt, April1970 so a bit out. Ferograph 704 +relo ribbon mike. £194.00. Does that help?

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:42 pm Geoff , found receipt, April1970 so a bit out. Ferrograph 704 +relo ribbon mike. £194.00. Does that help?
I'll have a look at the manual and see what help that is. If it is 7.5 ips something may be possible.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Thanks Geoff for your offer. Have now found someone relatively close that can do it and is familiar with ferograph recorders. Thankyou for taking the time.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:39 pm Thanks Geoff for your offer. Have now found someone relatively close that can do it and is familiar with Ferrograph recorders. Thankyou for taking the time.
It's not a problem. However i haven't used my Akai for a long time and achieving a speed change needs two machines so I was wary of saying that I could do it without checking that I actually had two working machines.

I am glad that you have found somebody to process the tape for you.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
Ordinaryman (Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:59 pm)