NVA Stereonet Review - discussion thread

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Unread post by DaveyTed »

NVA Starter Bundle review by Stereonet online magazine: https://www.stereonet.com/uk/reviews/nv ... ier-review

A review to be proud of.
Well done Paul and Tom

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

DP clearly has a lot of affection for NVA, and his personal experience of the brand and appreciation of Richard's design ethos makes for an interesting read.

My one gripe about the review is that...having discussed what the S80 is designed to do, and what it is not designed to do (drive difficult loads), he spent a chunk of the review concentrating on the latter.

Still very positive, overall, and he took a lot of time over it, which we are grateful for.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 3):
CycleCoach (Thu May 26, 2022 11:26 am) • slinger (Thu May 26, 2022 2:41 pm) • CN211276 (Thu May 26, 2022 10:55 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: NVA Stereonet Review - discussion thread

Unread post by CN211276 »

Think it is a very accurate review. Spent a few hours listening to the second system (P20/A20) through Cubettes last night as my other half had friends round. The sound was very engaging with the same signature as the main system. The starter bundle obviously takes things up a notch.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
savvypaul (Thu May 26, 2022 2:50 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I did find further common ground when he talked about the power amp being used directly - having run a MF M1 Clic streamer/dac with a pre out feature and therefore powered volume/ remote without any passive pre I did enjoy the scale of the presentation and the convenience- this is great for any digital sources but ultimately I’ve returned to a passive pre for my turntable- there was just something missing. The M1 Clic is now line out to the passive pre- I do miss the scale for movies etc but with analogue passive pre is king (or queen or non binary) 🥳😷
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

savvypaul wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:59 am My one gripe about the review is that...having discussed what the S80 is designed to do, and what it is not designed to do (drive difficult loads), he spent a chunk of the review concentrating on the latter.
As would any responsible reviewer, many people will have speakers that represent difficult loads and failing to explain that the amp isn't best suited to their speakers would be a disservice to them. You wouldn't want lots of amps returned because the purchasers thought they would be great only to find that their speakers weren't suitable.

A review of a Porsche that didn't mention its being a two seater, or having small rear seats would be incomplete, though the absence/size of rear seats is visible. The unsuitability of an amplifier for driving complex loads is not visible.

I did notice that the reviewer stated that NVA "recommend the use of their own speaker cable". I thought that the use of NVA speaker cable was a condition of the warranty and thus rather more than a "recommendation".

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:33 pm
savvypaul wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:59 am My one gripe about the review is that...having discussed what the S80 is designed to do, and what it is not designed to do (drive difficult loads), he spent a chunk of the review concentrating on the latter.
As would any responsible reviewer, many people will have speakers that represent difficult loads and failing to explain that the amp isn't best suited to their speakers would be a disservice to them. You wouldn't want lots of amps returned because the purchasers thought they would be great only to find that their speakers weren't suitable.

A review of a Porsche that didn't mention its being a two seater, or having small rear seats would be incomplete, though the absence/size of rear seats is visible. The unsuitability of an amplifier for driving complex loads is not visible.

I did notice that the reviewer stated that NVA "recommend the use of their own speaker cable". I thought that the use of NVA speaker cable was a condition of the warranty and thus rather more than a "recommendation".
I think it's absolutely right (and desirable) to mention it...but I'd have preferred it to be done at the start; get the context done and then let the review concentrate on it's use with appropriate speakers. But, it's a very minor gripe and I'm probably (certainly) being unnecessarily picky.

Yes, warranty states NVA cable must be used. We supply NVA speaker cable with all power amps, included in the price.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/