savvypaul
Great Britain

What did you use before NVA?

Unread post by savvypaul »

One for the NVA users, here.

What kit did you own before NVA?

How did you hear about NVA?

What tempted you to try NVA?

How does NVA sound in comparison with what you had before?

We'd like to use your comments for an article on the NVA website.

Many thanks, in advance, Paul & Tom
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: What did you use before NVA?

Unread post by CN211276 »

I had an Acrum integrated amplifier, cant remember the model, and Dynaudio Emit 10 speakers. Thought it sounded good but nowhere near the same league as my system now. My second system comprising P20, A20 and Cubettes sounds better.

I discovered NVA after stumbling on HFS by accident in 2016. A better standard of posts on HFS, compared to other hifi forums, and the 30 day return period tempted me to try NVA.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:00 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

CN211276 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:52 pm I had an Acrum integrated amplifier, cant remember the model, and Dynaudio Emit 10 speakers. Thought it sounded good but nowhere near the same league as my system now. My second system comprising P20, A20 and Cubettes sounds better.

I discovered NVA after stumbling on HFS by accident in 2016. A better standard of posts on HFS, compared to other hifi forums, and the 30 day return period tempted me to try NVA.
Arcam?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:45 pm One for the NVA users, here.

I started with Marantz electronics with Wharfedale speakers then regressed to Naim amplifiers and CD player along with B&W speakers. Amplifiers were replaced with Avondale before using NVA electronics and diy speakers inspired by NVA cubes

I first saw adverts in magazines in the 1990's but didn't look any further. I heard about NVA again when i discovered the HFS forum.

I liked the ethos behind the company i.e simple circuitry with the least amount of components used without compromising performance, realistic prices and the refreshing absence of marketing gobbledygook

Sounds more detailed, dynamic and natural whilst being less edgy, not in your face and completely non fatiguing. Musicians sound like they are playing together, having a good time and their talent as a musician is clear as a summers day.

Sure thing

Many thanks, in advance, Paul & Tom

You're welcome
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:11 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:00 pm
CN211276 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:52 pm I had an Acrum integrated amplifier, cant remember the model, and Dynaudio Emit 10 speakers. Thought it sounded good but nowhere near the same league as my system now. My second system comprising P20, A20 and Cubettes sounds better.

Arcam?
I stand corrected. Seems a long time ago now and I get it mixed up with the cricketer. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:11 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I had Arcam amps. I started with an Alpha 2, then there was an Alpha 8 + 8p combo, and an A75 + P75 combo.

I've told the story a few times, but I started with NVA by purchasing an NVA Sound Cord. I wanted a "decent" RCA pair and did my usual due diligence. It came down to a choice of two, one of which was NVA and I just liked the idea of being able to talk with the bloke who made such a well-regarded lead. I joined the forum, got chatting generally, and was happy with my Sound Cord purchase. By the time I got my redundancy payout from BT, it was a no-brainer, and I bought pretty much the system that's in my sig today. The NVA part hasn't changed from that day to this. I'd like to be able to upgrade but I can't justify the outlay. Having said that though, I've never really felt a desperate need to upgrade. Sure, it would probably sound even better, but it sounds bloody good as it is.

In comparison t0 my parade of Arcam amps NVA seems to have more space around the instruments if that makes sense? I don't "do" review-speak, as I've said many times. I hate it. Arcam has a sort of signature sound to me, which I still like (I've got a newer Arcam in my second system in fact) but it's the difference between a Lowry and a Breugel, or a Turner and a Constable. You get the same information, but the NVA sound is less creamy, less polite, and more informative.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:57 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I had a lot of musical fidelity amps and was using an American Acurus DIA100 integrated just before Nva p20 A20 arrived
I had tried a lot of amps and speakers that were in my budgets and was never satisfied- could never decide if it was amps or speakers or both then with Nva the sound just clicked and allowed me to focus on sources and speakers- it seems strange to say but the Nva always played well with what ever I partnered it with which allowed me to be choosy 👍🏼🍷
These users thanked the author Latteman for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:57 pm)
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

From 1981 to 1986 I lived in the bustling metropolis of Huddersfield, first as a student and then as a wage-earner and my first hard-earned cash went on Hifi and LP's, lots of LP's.

On the edge of the town centre was Huddersfield Hi-Fi, a shop that stocked a wide range of audio apparatus suitable for every taste and budget, run by the friendly and knowledgeable Hugh Chadwick. He must have spotted a potential hifi addict and allowed me to set up systems in a demo room where I could listen to various amps and speakers. Even some Naim gear they had in to appease those who liked it (I didn't).

My first purchase there was a Nytech CA252 amplifier, a futuristic design that had a powerful, weighty sound.

This was followed (rapidly) by Arcam One speakers, a Sugden tuner and the Logic turntable. On one visit, Hugh showed me something new, a mysterious black box set with minimal knobs and a sort of 'anti-everything' appearance. Listening to this I was hooked, the openness and musicality of the sound was totally new to me, as was the name 'Nene Valley Audio'.

As soon as I could I ordered an NVA A40 stereo power amp plus P50 pre/phono, and shortly afterwards the separate PSU for the phono section. This system still forms the basis for my listening to this day. The power amp has been upgraded to A40 monoblocks - but the stereo vintage workhorse is still in use. The speakers and turntable are continuing to give pleasure. Along the way I have heard many different amplifiers, but always returned to the unassuming stark simplicity of NVA - for me it has been, is and will always be about the music, that is the strength of the NVA design. Pure music without fuss, frills or facades.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:10 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

A&R Cambridge A60 for 12 years

I hadn't - went to buy some Naim amps and asked the dealer what else they had that they could demo as an alternative so I could take the whole afternoon over choosing and NVA was brought into the room

I suppose given the above the availability and access - and I guess a willingness to listen too

Open and detailed doesn't feel like listening to a system

No problem
These users thanked the author Sandman for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:29 pm)
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I tried NVA because I'd been a moderator on this forum for several years, as well as me following Richard Dunn on pfm and one or two other forums before that. And I'd met him at a few hi-fi events, including an amplifier bake-off. And my LDR pre-amp had drifted out of spec whereby the music was too quiet, even at max volume. And I wanted a replacement resistor based passive pre-amp. And I saw an NVA P50SA on ebay for £166. So I bought it.

It was one of those where it did cross my mind that it was a badge of honour on here that I owned no NVA. But then again, it didn't make sense to use that as an excuse not to buy the P50SA.

And then after Richard died, I bought a new NVA A20 in the sale for £133.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:06 am)