What did you use before NVA?

Grumpytim
Columbia

Re: What did you use before NVA?

Unread post by Grumpytim »

What kit did you own before NVA? Yamaha, Rotel, Arcam and then Rega Cursa/Exon I still have that in the other system.

How did you hear about NVA? The HFS website, I could not be asked to engage with the usual suspects as sources of hifi 'advice' and discourse, for all of the obvious reasons. Looking in I rather liked the owners attitude to many things dealer and forum wise. The membership seemed to be more open minded than many of the closed shops out there. X years later it seems that my first impressions were indeed correct.

What tempted you to try NVA? An Onkyo receiver that was doing amp duties in the dining room died quite suddenly. I decided to try an AP20. A choice I've not regretted

How does NVA sound in comparison with what you had before? In a word open, whilst it's not the most powerful amp in the world, with the right speakers it easily matches the Rega combo, at a third (a guess) of the price.

We'd like to use your comments for an article on the NVA website. Fine by me if they're any use.
These users thanked the author Grumpytim for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:06 am)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I didn't, in 1992 I went straight into the deep end with A80s and a P70 with two PSU's and a pair of Cubix. Recently time caught up with the A80s & P70, they now reside in a box in the loft. I read an article about NVA and liked RDs viewpoint and phoned him up and eventually met up at his workshop. It was a fortuitous introduction for me, probably less so for Richard 😁
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:06 am) • Lindsayt (Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:07 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Lordie82360now
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

Before NVA I dabbled with a variety of Amplifiers from old Quad, Audiolab, Arcam, Rega, Crimson electrik, Exposure, Temple Audio, Amptastic, gradually getting the boxes as small as I could to help the WAF profile of hi fi in our lounge. Never seemed to be satisfied with the sound however!
Can’t really remember how I came across NVA, but I suppose it must have been reading interesting posts on the forum and trying to doc mod some old JPW speakers as something to do when I retired. They turned out OK, but I didn’t go as far as doping cones!
Moved away from NVA once in 2017 - Why I ask myself, but now back in the fold and looking forward to the new P50v2 /S80 combo and revisiting some long lost music!
These users thanked the author Lordie82360now for the post:
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Allo Digione/rpi4b/ifi iPower PSU/Volumio, Crucial and Samsung USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

I started with a Teleton SAQ 203 but quickly moved on the an A&R A60 - had 2 of those (long story).

I then found Musical Fidelity and I was happy with each upgrade. Ended up with a kW550 upgraded by JS audio. It was a close call between keeping the kW550 and a top NVA system. So I gave it a go. Not regretted it as "she who must be obeyed" liked the smaller real estate coverage - although not by a lot (had more to do with the other stuff than the main amps).

The NVA relationship started with a BMU which I still have and engendered confidence that the NVA philosophy was sound. Then tried speaker cable and interconnects with the same outcome until a windfall from HMRC paid for the A80's and an upgraded P50.
These users thanked the author TheMadMick for the post:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Website blog post added:

WHY I CHOSE NVA - REAL USER REVIEWS

https://nvahifi.co.uk/a/blog/im-glad-i- ... er-reviews

If you've already contributed to this thread, we'll be regularly adding more articles to the website, using the rest of your input.

If you haven't already contributed to the thread, or if you've already posted but want to say more...please, don't be shy!

Many thanks,

Paul & Tom
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
slinger (Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:01 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

What kit did you own before NVA?
Immediately prior I was using Cyrus but had a lifelong love of NAD equipment. First amp was a 1960s hand me down of unknown make however I was gifted a Quad II in my early teens.

How did you hear about NVA?
Read reviews about NVA in the HiFi press a long time ago, then 14 years back “found” NVA again on eBay.

What tempted you to try NVA?
After lots of Googling I discovered the negativity towards NVA but privately messaged a few hifi forums users which tipped me into buying a pair of A40s & P90 with phono.

How does NVA sound in comparison with what you had before?
It was the vocal clarity and bass extension that immediately became apparent. So good I purchased an AP10 (personal) for the bedroom and concluded that for most people at moderate volumes the AP10 is all they would need.

My NVA journey sadly ended a few years back when I sold up to release funds for a house move and bought a single box amp / streamer, but perhaps again soon…

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

2nd article added to website:

HOW DOES NVA SOUND? REAL USER REVIEWS

https://nvahifi.co.uk/a/blog/how-does-n ... er-reviews
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:25 pm) • Sandyo67 (Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:39 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/