NVA Blog

antonio66
Great Britain

Re: NVA Blog

Unread post by antonio66 »

Great news Savvy, and it will be good for Tomasz :clap:
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:01 am) • slinger (Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:42 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

A guy contacted us, via Facebook to ask...

...what justification we have to make amps without filters, fuses and protection networks?

We answered...

Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Intelligence. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 4):
Geoff.R.G (Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:29 am) • CycleCoach (Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:11 am) • CN211276 (Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:20 am) • slinger (Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:15 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:27 am A guy contacted us, via Facebook to ask...

...what justification we have to make amps without filters, fuses and protection networks?

We answered...

Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Intelligence. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality. Sound quality.
If you run an amplifier, any amplifier, into the appropriate load as specified by the manufacturer it doesn't need any of those things. It is only when you start messing around with low impedance speakers, high capacitance cables etc. that protective circuits are necessary. The protection in those cases being necessary to protect the amplifier from the user.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:38 am) • CN211276 (Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:20 am)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

It seems like this kit is not for idiots.

Perhaps this limits the target demographic.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

CycleCoach wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:53 am It seems like this kit is not for idiots.

Some years ago I found myself trying to fix a passenger telephone problem on a 747. Technical responsibility rested with the Cabin Technical team but as the problem had been going on for a while I got involved. I was told that all the relevant electrical checks had been carried out. However, I knew that the transmission method used RF signals so I asked the manufacturers support team to just hang a cable between the last box that was responding correctly and the one that wasn't. Surprise, surprise, it worked (Actually it didn't surprise me at all because that was exactly what I expected to happen). The reason the old cable didn't work, RF cables don't respond well to being bent around tight corners.

The Cabin Technical team were very well qualified but, apparently, unfamiliar with RF and RF cables. Now, if a well qualified and experienced team could make such a simple mistake what are the chances of an inexperienced and unqualified customer making a mistake with an amplifier? Answer, very high indeed. Which is why so many amplifiers are "unconditionally stable into any load" to protect the customer from him/her self. It is also why NVA insist on the use of NVA speaker cables. The vast majority of people who buy Hi-Fi, AV systems and the like haven't a clue technically but manufacturers compromise the output quality to protect their reputation (See The BMU Bandits for an example of the damage a customer can do).
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:59 pm) • slinger (Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:58 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

CycleCoach wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:53 am It seems like this kit is not for idiots.

Hopefully.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CycleCoach (Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:01 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Bought one of Nick's mains regenerator / quartz lock power supplies for the Lencos (x2) and Garrard 401.

A very obvious improvement. Tidies everything up very nicely, both clearer and more natural. A lot like a stylus upgrade.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
antonio66 (Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:29 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:07 pm Bought one of Nick's mains regenerator / quartz lock power supplies for the Lencos (x2) and Garrard 401.

A very obvious improvement. Tidies everything up very nicely, both clearer and more natural. A lot like a stylus upgrade.
That was the impression I had when I heard one demonstrated at David Brooks old shop some time ago.

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Unread post by DaveyTed »

Do the NVA critics who fault lack of amplifier inbuilt protection also moan about Naim amplifiers which for years specified not only speaker cable type but also minimum lengths to "protect" their amplifiers?

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:07 pm Bought one of Nick's mains regenerator / quartz lock power supplies for the Lencos (x2) and Garrard 401.

Do you mean you've purchased three, or can a single one be moved from turntable to turntable when in use?