Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

BBPSU now listed at ebay

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Somethingfunny
Great Britain

Re: BBPSU now listed at ebay

Unread post by Somethingfunny » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Can I ask what is probably a stupid question?

Why is the size of the PSU important to a phonostage? I am very limited in knowledge on this but understand that this is a sensible addition to the Phono 2/3. I wonder why.

Thanks

Alb.

Somethingfunny
Great Britain

Unread post by Somethingfunny » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Oh, congratulations on the new item. I hope for success in your advert.

Ithilstone
Swaziland

Unread post by Ithilstone » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:08 am

not sure if I am competed enough to answer as I am most ignorant to anything to do with black circles
never had TT or external phono stage ( possibly some of my older amps had one build in)
but I believe I can make analogy to headphone amps
I started with 80VA went all way up to DBBPSU
nothing else really changed - same cables, same headphones etc
but what changed is the music - with every step up musicality took a leap up as well
So my take on this would be same as HP amps Phono amps become more musical (less HiFi more natural, fun and organic)

If you look for technical explanation - Doc more than once tried to explain it in easy to understand words
not that I managed to...
thats one of those
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:18 pm
Dave (DSJR). I have posted about this many times before especially when discussing SUT v Active phono stage gain.

Impedance is meaningless when it is meaningless and critical when it is critical. Think of it as a door and the door has an impedance to it moving (resistance). If you are a weak person (SUT) you have to match the impedance or you are not strong enough to open it, or you delay or judder while opening it. Match your strength (output impedance) to the door resistance (impedance) and it opens at the right pace. Then match that to the input impedance of where the thing is going. All three have to be looked at in this situation to match them.

So now lets forget about the weak SUT, and instead have a strong active stage with loads of power supply head room, well it couldn't give a shit about matching the doors impedance it just bashes the door open, as it can.

So in most case it makes sod all difference and has nothing to do with gain. There is a good rule of thumb to follow though and that is that the output impedance should be the same or less than the input impedance of where it is going.

So again looking at circuit strength. It is current that bashes doors open not voltage, and valves are voltage amps, so different values of attenuators can sound different on valve amps. Note I say can as with what I would call a properly designed valve circuit it will make feck all difference. With any transistor amp it always makes feck all difference - fullstop!

Proviso, as long as you don't go extremes like 1meg or 1ohm.
Nothing to see here...

Somethingfunny
Great Britain

Unread post by Somethingfunny » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:10 am

Thanks you for this.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 am

The circuit design makes NVA load rejecting not the power supply. The power supply size just gives you more music with more size, it is not logical for most Tech guys as they say "if a circuit needs this size then that is all it needs" which is why you see wall plug power supplies on the cheap ones, because that is all it *needs*. I looked at what it wants not needs, and the music wants more and more VA and it expands in musical quality each time you give it more - it is that simple, no need to explore reasons, it is empiric, it just does it. A case can be be made for it lowering source impedance from the mains but IMO that is far from the whole story.

Somethingfunny
Great Britain

Unread post by Somethingfunny » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Thank you Doctor.