NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

All reviews of NVA here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Re: New Speakers
Unread postby AshM750. » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Just I thought id post my thoughts on the speakers I have listened to last week.

Firstly the transmission lines that wallace owns, in my eyes they are a warm speaker with well balanced character and a deep bass, you could happily sit and listen to these all day long with no fatuige. I would be happy with these in my living room. Still thinking of getting some as they are real value for money.

Secondly the Cubix that terrybooth has, now this is a bit unfair to compare them to the TLs but I will compare the Cubix to all the speakers I have ever heard! I do not know were to start with these Cubix, they really are somthing else. They reproduce music the way it should be heard (natural), I cannot explain how real these babys sound. They reminded me of when I was in the Army marching with the brass bands, it sounded exactly the same, I mean exactly the same!!!!! It also reminded me of the last time I went to a concert, I have never heard another speaker/system(NVA) produce this true sound before. This is very difficult for me to explain, just think of any live band or concert you have been to and thats what the cubes will do. This is what a system should sound like, although there is one thing missing and thats the band itself. ;)

I am now turning towards the Cubes but the only thing stopping me is funds, I will be saving for a BMU first I think then maybe the Cubes.

Congrats to the Doc, once again you have really impressed me. :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: New BMU
Unread postby walterwhite » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:09 pm

I've had a chance to do some extended listening now, and initial impressions of the BMU have held their ground with regard to SQ improvements.

I feel compelled to try and explain more clearly where I think the greatest gains have been made in my system, so that you lot can make a more informed decision as to whether to try or not.

I'll preface this by saying that first and foremost I'm completely blown away by the level of involvement that this thing demands from me, almost as if there's no option other than to give it my full attention. Casual listening almost makes me feel guilty, as if I'm wasting something precious if I don't give it 100% of myself.

The main reason for this is the effect the BMU has had on the sound-staging. As a youngster I was first drawn to classical music by the music of JS Bach. It was the interplay of voices within a single instrument (the guitar specifically) that had initially drawn me to it. I just loved the way that he could write what sounded like two separate tunes, and stick them together to make one, with each part talking to the other in an almost conversational manner. Of course as my horizons broadened I started to appreciate this in the music of other composers as the art of composition evolved over the centuries. One of my perennial problems with hi fi reproduction in the home environment has been that as music becomes larger in scale (more instruments), reproduction of becomes more problematical with regard to keeping everything in its rightful place within that space. The BMU has made larger strides in resolving this problem than any other single piece of equipment I've ever added to my system. You can pick an instrument within an orchestral score, tag it, and follow it for an entire movement if the mood so takes you.

Listening to full scale orchestra is eye wateringly detailed, with all of the usual superlatives applying. It's so informative that I can almost pick out individual musicians in a string section when, for instance, several violins are playing in unison. I feel sucked into the performance, and the overall effect is compelling. So far, I've noticed this more on my vinyl than CD, which is a testament in itself, because I've always felt that CD was my weapon of choice for classical music, and the BMU seems to have removed this obstacle to my enjoyment of my fairly large collection of 50's and 60's classical vinyl. Add to this a greater sense of dynamics and I feel that this is the closest I've ever come to having the sense of an orchestra in the same room as me. Listening to Sibelius' 5th Symphony earlier and I was particularly aware of this, as it has extended passages where the orchestra plays very quietly, and yet the same feeling of involvement with the music still persists. When the crescendos arrive it's an electrifying experience, blasting me in my seat without any sense of strain percolating through.

Anyway, enough of my musings, on to the more mundane. The already deep and powerful bass is now even more under control, the BMU seeming to remove still more of the bloom as the hertz count drops, leaving it tight, clear and coherent. Voices and instrumental timbres are up a notch, especially strings, where I can almost feel the wood that the instrument is made of.

There's more, but I'll resist getting into the minutiae. I can really recommend this product as the most significant upgrade I have made to date, except for when I went from 70's all in one music centres to my first serious amp. I'd previously thought that my electrics couldn't be all that bad as I'm about 70 metres away from my sub-station, with a few flats in between, but my experience with the BMU would seem to say otherwise.

For the sake of completeness here's my equipment line up.

Sources: Rega RP6, Dynavector DV 10x2 (wish I'd gone for the Ortofon 2M Black), Classe CDP-202.
Amplification: 4x A80 monoblocks. P90 sa. AP10h. Phono 2 (second PSU on order)
Interconnects: SSC throughout.
Speakers: Royd Doublet.
Speaker cables: LS6.
Headphones: Grado SR 225.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Re P50 passive - a little marvel!

Richard, your concern over the P50 not interfacing with my non NVA mono power amps is to my ears, totally unfounded. The little P50 is exceptional.

I have been running an active pre for many years, one that I feel may be up there among the best. Nevertheless, somehow the little P50 gives a presentation that appears more natural and so unforced. Voices and acoustic instruments have a naturalness that leaves me speechless. Detail retrieval is excellent, transient weight top class, clarity and the perception of "air" is wonderful. **EDIT** The only downside I detect thus far, is that I feel bass is not as controlled as with the active, but of course that maybe because the active pre was adding to the signal and making it unnatural? **EDIT** After approx 1 weeks use (burn in) bass is now utterly believable - I am frankly amazed at what this little pre gives - it is stunning!

Richard you should be a millionaire! Everything so far that you've advised or I’ve purchased has added to my enjoyment. I feel your philosophy of less being more has certainly been demonstrated to me over this past week.

This little P50 could retail for £500 easily - you could be selling yourself short Richard?

I will be back for more NVA in due course.

Thank you for opening my ears yet again.

Alfi.
Last edited by Alfi on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

selby
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by selby »

This is my little review of LS1

"LS1 was my first 'proper' hi-fi speaker cable after hearing about NVA from a friend, it replaced QED Silver Anniversary (WHAT Hi-Fi 5 Star Award when I bought it, which shows what :Bllocks: their reviews are), the difference was instantly apparent. The sound was more open, bass and treble were both there in greater controlled quantities but the most amazing thing was hearing instruments I'd never heard on recordings before."
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

selby

Unread post by selby »

LS6

Short Review – fucking amazing

Longer review (to be added to after more listening) – So 2m of LS6 arrived in the post today, before I dived in and swapped them over with the existing LS1 I thought I'd listen to a few tracks.

The tracks I selected are:

Goldberg Variations: BWV 988
Requiem Op.48: Pie Jesu
Vide Cor Meum - Hannibal
John Martyn – Solid Air
Karl Jenkins - Stabat Mater: Ave verum
Yo-Yo Ma PLays Ennio Morricone - The Mission - Gabriels Oboe
Joni Mitchell - At last
Sinatra at the sands - One for my baby
Kavinsky Outrun - Nightcall & Roadgame

Real mix of music and all tracks I enjoy to listen to no matter how many times I hear them. It sounded ok, easy on the ears, clear sound, basically nothing wrong with it. I then installed the LS6 and played the same list of tracks, unfortunately the first 3 tracks got slightly ruined by my neighbour mowing the lawn and their annoying dog barking, peace was returned for John Martyn and 'HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKING CHRIST' these cables are injecting magic into the sound.

I've always loved John Martyn's deep voice, it almost sucks you in but with LS6 it wraps itself around you and gives you a big hug. Yo-Yo Ma was more controlled, clearer, I could simply hear more detail. At this point I thought that I was just experiencing this because in my head I knew they were new and expensive so therefore I must find them amazing, basically justifying them to myself. But I then had to have a 5min break as the Waitrose food delivery arrived, I eagerly returned to listen to the final four tracks, Joni Mitchell was simply beautiful...I always find her voice moving but my brain was struggling to make sense of what I was now hearing. I've never heard Sinatra sound so good, he always makes me happy and want to pour myself a big Makers Mark over ice, even more so now. So finally Kavinsky and two tracks, now I know these tracks are a little weird to bring into the mix as they are electronica 80's film style tunes, but I've listened to this album in the car on replay now for 3 days so I thought I knew both tunes. How wrong could I be...LS6 was bringing new beats, new rhythms and a new sense of pace, I only wished I could get that sound in my car.

When the last track finished playing I actually took a deep breath, seriously, I took a deep breath. I was shocked. But then something hit me, I was still just using the JPW Monitor Gold and not the amazing Loth-x BS1 (just bought them) and even more importantly I'm currently using my girlfriends awful Denon Integrated. I simply can't calculate in my mind how amazing those tracks will sound when I install the Loth-x BS1 speakers but even more so when I get my hands on a NVA amplifier.

LS1 will be up for sale later, they are still amazing cables for the money but LS6 really is a game changer and I can't wait to continue my hi-fi journey now.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Okay Here's a short review on the NVA AP10hJS.

The AP10hJS is indeed a headphone amplifier - It is basicaly Doc's standard AP10h taken to the next logical level (Then some).
Now I can't tell you all about the technical malarkey thats involved within the casework, because Im not an electronic/audio engineer,
suffice to say the JS version Is now a 3 box version as opposed to the standard 1 box version.
Containing twin L/R volume control pots and a pair of massive (for headphone use) PSU's.
Thats it, nowt else, no bells, no whistles, no gain/tone controls, no built in dacs, no flashing lights, no useless bullshit. etc etc etc.....
So what does this JS Version bring to the party over and above the glorious standard one.?
Well this is not an easy question to put into words, it is however very very easy to hear.
Headroom is vast. giving a larger soundstage and sense of seperation to the instruments.
Clarity is further improved over the standard AP10h the tiniest of nuances are picked up and can be a bit disconcerting at first,
Im hearing a lot of things on various albums that my previous Head Amps just were'nt capable of revealing.
Bass tighter, Mid's sweeter, High's smoother. (Best stop there before i go into reviewr speak).
This is a top flight Headphone amplifier that i feel sure would embarrass a lot of big buck so called reference amps out there.
To me if you put headphones on, your looking for total immersion - Careful the JS version dont drown ya...!!!

Thats the pro's, if there is a con, it's that you will need top notch can's to fully realise what this beastie is capable of.

alfafan123

Unread post by alfafan123 »

I guess for most of you this little review on the P50 is old news well it isn't to me.This P50 is a little jewel!

Well I finally sold my Rega Apollo R and Brio R (no longer a Rega dude!) and hooked up my mongrel (I'll say it before the doc does) system comprising my new NVA P50 with re-capped Crown D60. This is my first experience of a passive Pre and I just love it :grin: . With my Denon CD player and restored LP12/Grace G707/Denon DL-110 it sounds clean, highly resolved and dynamic, what a relief it is to leave behind the soft warm coloured phasey sound I had become so used to.

Alfi's review is right and I have had no problems using the P50 with my D60. In fact it sounds fecking amazing!

Problem is I now know what I have been missing and there is all that other NVA stuff out there. Oh well my lack of pennies will keep me under control!

Nice one Doc! :dance:

Chris

joe

LS6 speaker cables

Unread post by joe »

I was holding off writing a review to allow myself time to get accustomed to these cables, but actually there's no need to do that. They are, quite simply, wonderful.

The effect is one that the Doc often refers to: they are like a cleaner window which gives a better view of the music. Everything is better; bass, treble, detail, impact, you name it. I'm playing old favourites and new purchases, and getting more from all of them. The last CD I played was the Temptations' Greatest Hits, one which I have listened to many times, but this time I heard so much more; not only that, I listened to the whole thing from start to finish (usually I skip a couple of the later tracks) because there's so much more on the CD than I'm used to hearing.

The cables aren't cheap, but compared to competitors' products, they represent excellent vfm, plus of course NVA's returns policy means that they are essentially a risk-free purchase.

Anyway, I don't usually write reviews, still less rave reviews, so the very fact that I'm writing this indicates how impressed I am.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

terrybooth » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:10 am

Thanks to Richard and Nadia, I had a chance to listen to the 2 part Cubix Pro yesterday.

Before I heard them I guess I had an idea of what they would sound like, after all, the speakers themselves (amplification to one side for the moment) are pretty similar to my Cubix: they're a bit taller and one tweeter is in a slightly different position. Amplification is a step up the range from what I've got at the moment. However, I'm running all NVA and the most obvious difference between what I've got and what I was going to hear was the Sony CD player.

Whatever I was expecting, quickly faded away pretty much straight away. First off, there's less - less in the way that is. Difficult to describe this, but there's just an absence of stuff I didn't really notice until it was gone - sonic window washing, moving a room closer to the music, that sort of thing.

Then there's more - and, once again, I'm struggling to describe this. It used to be that I'd pick up more on the individual voices of instruments with thing being a bit more distinct. I find my reaction to the Cubix Pro is rather like my reaction to the TSCS over LS6 - sounds are brought together more, but in a musical sense. The sound is more 'effortless': the detail in the playing is still there but now there's much more of a sense of the emotional energy behind the music. And, in writing that, I know a lot of you will wonder what on earth I've been taking.

For me, this came over more in the orchestral pieces I listening to: the sense of scale and majesty, of the interplay of the sounds and the emotional impact of the music. I'm definitely going to have to get a copy of Swan Lake!

After a session with the CD as source, I plugged in a Raspberry Pi with DAC board and my music on a USB disk. Because this is an old Pi with only two USB ports and I needed wifi to control it, this was powered by a little USB hub plugged into a BMU. First impressions were that the music was more veiled and constrained. This actually changed after 20 minutes or so as the Pi 'warmed up' but two things were pretty clear to me.

The first was that the Cubix Pros were presenting my music quite differently from what I was used to. My impression was of subtle changes to the balance of the different part of the music - the nearest I could get to explaining is it was like hearing the same music but in a different (and acoustically better) venue.

The second was that there are things the Pi is doing (or not doing) which I need to try to make better - so I'll need to resurrect my power supply and, possibly, DAC experiments with this: the challenge is to try to match the quality of sound from that CD player but at a more manageable cost.

In both configurations, it was very easy to stop listening to the hifi and start listening to the music. So, that's what I did. I haven't had chance to listen to my own system yet but, if it's anything like the other 'steps' in the NVA range I've experienced, I'll get a much better impression of what's been 'added' when I go back.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The Progmeister

NVA Phono 2 Phono Stage

It’s strange where some journeys take you. I recently sold one of my high end valve phono stages to fund some important music purchases and concert tickets. Sometimes in life one has to make some tough choices. This left a gap as i run two turntables so i connected my remaining valve phono stage to my main turntable and started looking for a second phono stage for my heavily modified Technics 1210 equipped with a Rega RB300/ingognito re-wire and a Denon DL103 MC cartridge. It wasn’t long before i had a short list of reasonably priced options which fast became an annoying work in progress. This changed somewhat when i received a visit from fellow audiophile Rich Britton who brought with him a pair of NVA A40 monoblock power amplifiers to play with. NVA (Nene Vally Audio) are hardly new kids on the block having been around for over 30 years or so. I decided to have a punt on an NVA Phono 2 and duly placed my order.

Nene Vally Audio is headed up by Richard Dunn who sells his equipment via his e-bay shop and offers a fabulous thirty day money back scheme should you not like what you have bought. My view is that it has to be a mad man or a fool to do such a thing in this dog eat dog age and Richard Dunn is certainly no fool. His NVA equipment is no nonsense well designed and attractive with most of the money spent at the business end of his designs giving his customers maximum value for their hard earned. After placing my order i communicated with Richard via email explaining which cartridge i would be using the phono stage or head amp as he prefers to call it. Richard configured my Phono 2 precisely to match my Denon DL103 cartridge. The basic Phono 2 comes with one separate power supply with the option of adding a second power supply which i decided to go for from the off.

It took a couple of weeks to arrive as NVA do state that orders will be dispatched depending on their work load which i was more than happy with. When the Phono two arrived it was well packaged and when unwrapped looked very nice indeed. The three black perspex boxes reminded me so much of the Tom Evans devices for which i have a lot of admiration. Placing them in my rack i was faced with numerous XLR cables dangling in the breeze and just a little unsure how to configure the second power supply. A quickly answered email to NVA soon got that sorted though albeit with the caveat that i try the Phono 2 with only one power supply first which i duly obliged.

The first thing i found out about this device is that the actual phono stage must be kept well away from power supplies, not least it’s own. I did encounter a lot of hum until i had found the optimum position. Having laboured intensively i was ready to play some tunes. First up was Goldfrapp’s Felt Mountain. I was worried that after listening to this album via my high end valve phono stage it may not have the depth and sonority i was used to. How wrong i was! The NVA took the reins from the outset and completely controlled every nuance of the production. The atmosphere was caught perfectly as if framed between the speakers albeit in widescreen. Dynamics are exemplary and something i simply didn’t get with either valve or solid state units costing over £3,000. Alison Goldfrapp’s voice was captured beautifully and projected straight out into the room. Will Gregory’s synthesizer textures and string/brass arrangements seemed to bound into life having been over polished previously. I honestly thought i was listening to this album properly for the very first time.

Moving onto Supertramp’s Brother Where You Bound and opening track Cannonball came at me like a train. The 80’s keyboard sounds were crisp and finely etched as were the drums and sax. Rick Davies voice came across as full with an almost live feel to them. Elsewhere songs like Better Days and title track Brother Where You Bound took on a more authoritative stance with more punch and zeal than i had heard before. The whole album was far more acceptable with all of it’s excessive traits via the NVA Phono 2 and honed it’s presentation into a true musical event. No mean feat i have to say. Turning back the clock just a little further i put to the sword the rather splendid Street Life by The Crusaders. Many seventies recordings suffered from dreadful recording of bass and bass drum in particular. I thoroughly enjoyed the authenticity of this album via my valve phono stage though listening to it via the phono 2 gives the impression of being cleaned and made respectable. The title track took on a new verve, gone was the plumby bass and overall compression and a faster, deeper resolution brought about a more powerful and pleasing picture, an almost rescue operation for a recording showing it’s age.

After a few days i decided to connect the second power supply to see just how much more it would bring to the party. I had it in my head that it would be subtle, it wasn’t! Starting with the same play list i was gob smacked by the widening of the soundstage both side to side and back to back. The whole picture doubled in size and dynamics improved yet again. Playing Phil Collins Hello I Must Be Going album sounded like i was listening to it in a club. Rim shot, ride cymbal and tom easily separated above the vibrancy of brass and other horns. The almost live presentation now becoming live injecting realism into the now massive soundstage.

Wanting to hear how the Phono 2 handled strings and orchestra i was tempted to play some classical. However, i decided instead to spin Elton John’s Carla Etude from his 1981 The Fox album. James Newton Howard’s arrangement and conducting of the London symphony orchestra here is astonishing and i really wanted to hear what the NVA would make of it. Well, pretty much how i expected really. The NVA’s grip and musical nature majored on detail and conveying structure, scale and pace. The timbre of Elton John’s piano was natural, crisp and presented nicely as the lead instrument. The rasp of cello in the left hand channel growled like an angry mountain cat and the whole episode had me questioning the whole high end phono stage ethos.

Usually the sonic signature of a any piece of equipment is easy to describe. Detailed, punchy,dynamic,neutral, coloured or a mix of all these adjectives. I would describe the NVA Phono 2 with twin power supplies as a musical conduit, a no bull piece of engineering that simply breaks all the rules of convention. Richard Dunn’s careful attention to detail, choice of materials and components along with his conviction to stray away from fashionable concepts such as IEC mains leads in favour of captive leads and none magnetic or metal structures really make for a rather special outcome. Criticisms, well, yes i suppose so. Mainly that of communication. Richard Dunn is contactable via e-bay or emailing his site. No phone number or postal address. But to be honest that’s about it. How would i describe the Phono 2? Simples, music music music. It does beg a massive question however, If Richard Dunn can design,build and ship equipment of this quality at the price it is? Answers on a post card please. If you dare venture past what is written about in the Hi-fi press and willing to look beyond perceived wisdom then don’t just consider the NVA Phono 2 make it a priority.

NVA Phono 2 + power supply £495

NVA power supply £200

System used ………….
Modified Technics 1210 turntable with upgraded baring/Rega RB300/custom brass counterwight/Incognito Cardas re-wire/ Long Dog Audio Power Supply. Avondale Audio Grad 1 pre-amp with TPX2 power supply. Avondale Audio x2 Voyager monoblock power amplifiers. Tannoy D900 speakers. Speaker cable NVA LS 3. Interconnects ACE Audio (source) Mark Grant GHD1000 (between pre and power amps.)