Royd A7

All general audio posts go here.
tarantula
Has thanked: 0
Wales

Royd A7

Unread post by tarantula »

Would really appreciate any Royd users' advice on the woofer shown. It's from an A7 and I'm wondering about the very off-centre dust-cap and gluey or extra-gluey repair (I think) to the drive unit. Will this compromise the cone's response? (I know Royd drivers of the period are not intended as lovely things but surely the gluey/wonkiness pictured can't be original.) With thanks in advance.
Attachments
royda7 - 1.jpeg
royda7 - 1.jpeg (279.75 KiB) Viewed 890 times

Latteman
Great Britain

Re: Royd A7

Unread post by Latteman »

Agreed- not pretty and in the long term could affect cone / voice coil gap. Personally I’d remove it, redo or leave off.
I would source a replacement driver if they mean a lot to you
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

tarantula
Wales

Latteman, thank you. Don't know the term for this but I imagine a cone has some kind of factored in residual compliance, assuming the extra glue compromises cone's ability to move back and forth etc., dust cap or no dust cap isn't all that glue an issue?
These are small, inexpensive speakers (as you all know) but they have nice qualities which is why I'm fretting at them.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

tarantula wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:41 pm Latteman, thank you. Don't know the term for this but I imagine a cone has some kind of factored in residual compliance, assuming the extra glue compromises cone's ability to move back and forth etc., dust cap or no dust cap isn't all that glue an issue?
These are small, inexpensive speakers (as you all know) but they have nice qualities which is why I'm fretting at them.
If you can source them, I would replace the affected driver and it’s mate in the other speaker.

tarantula
Wales

Thanks, sounds like the way to go. I was kind of hoping that Dr Bunsen might drop by and point out that Joe Ackroyd was a genius and always mounted dust-caps askew, then smeared them all over with milky gunk (his being a genius and all).

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

tarantula wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:54 pm Thanks, sounds like the way to go. I was kind of hoping that Dr Bunsen might drop by and point out that Joe Ackroyd was a genius and always mounted dust-caps askew, then smeared them all over with milky gunk (his being a genius and all).
I am sorry to tell you that unfortunately “Dr Bunsen” won’t be dropping in. Richard died in 2019.

tarantula
Wales

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've been reading and enjoying his posts; he clearly knew his stuff. Thank you for putting me right.
These users thanked the author tarantula for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:01 am)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

How does that speaker sound? If it sounds OK carry on using it and enjoying it for what it is.

If it sounds pants either repair it or replace the driver or buy another speaker or pair of speakers.

It's just a tool for a job.

I'm pretty sure that Richard would encourage you to use your ears and to proceed with confidence, based on what your ears told you.
He'd also encourage you to not be frightened by the prospect of DIY repairs, should they be necessary.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
savvypaul (Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:41 am)

tarantula
Wales

Thanks again for that. Yes, of course, but ears exist with eyes and the mental faculties are inter bred. I picked these up recently but listening critically despite the speed and apparent clarity in mids and highs there's a curious softness like a faint doubling in the bass which I wasn't expecting, working on memory of a pair I owned some 20 or so years ago. The visual thing-glue and misalignment-seems to back up that sensation—softness-grain-distortion/misalignment.