The Return of the Wam Show

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: The Return of the Wam Show

Unread post by savvypaul »

A magnificent effort from all exhibitors, and a massive thank you to Paul, Roo, Danny et al. 😍

Firstly, a really good choice of venue, especially given that choice is naturally limited by how difficult it must be to persuade a hotel to turn itself 'inside out' for the weekend. The vibe of this place just felt 'right'. Parking was easy, and in future years train travel will hopefully be easier, too.

So many rooms, so little time. I always gravitate to things that I wouldn't usually come across, but that doesn't narrow it down very much at the WAM show :lol: . These all left a definite impression...

The 1970s Philips room - this must have a put a smile on lots of faces. Propulsive, tight bass and percussive presentation. Would sound remarkable with electronic music - might make a Kraftwerk fan of me, yet.

Orbscure's room - a lovely and light space, thanks to the large gothic style window and inviting presentation. £30 'skip find' speakers that threw up a large soundstage and plenty of impact.

The 'steampunk' room - valve powered cassette deck!! Columns of Linaeum tweeters, balanced on mid, bass and passive radiators!!! Probably parked his D'Lorean round the back...

Lenco Heaven - making a remarkably inviting sound with some Quad 707s and 1980s(?) B&W speakers. As they used to say on Blue Peter..."I don't normally like B&Ws, John, but these are delicious".

Bencat - "I don't normally like KEFs, Andrew, but these are delicious". Nice amps :grin:

1980s LP12 / Naim system - a trip down memory lane without having to spend the cash to find out. Yes, of course we asked him to play Love Over Gold 😊

Broom cupboard challenge - I've been blathering on for ages that Klipsch can sound great in small spaces, and at sensible volumes. You can let him out of there, now. Well done, fella.

Trouser flapping in the Royal Doulton room - I'm considering a similar system for my study ;)

Steve 57 - I've heard these speakers previously (in larger rooms) and had to spend a good while with them, again, yesterday. Remarkably realistic and engaging.

Snell A - with valves and vinyl. Large, airy, non-fatiguing. I'd like to hear them again.

Avantgarde Horns - remarkably smooth, open and even handed (in addition to the usual positive 'horn' attributes), especially given how close we were sat.

Rabski - I thought this was a great all-rounder. Very well judged presentation. I'd have been happy to take the lot home (but not happy to have had to pack away all those valves - I hope it all went well, Richard).

Saw loads, missed loads. Going to stay overnight, next time. Roll on, April...
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 5):
slinger (Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:50 pm) • CycleCoach (Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:56 pm) • NSNO2021 (Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:19 pm) • antonio66 (Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:13 am) • Lindsayt (Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:15 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

My highlight of the show was the conversation I had with 2 women in the Linn - Klipsch broom cupboard. :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 4):
savvypaul (Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:24 pm) • CycleCoach (Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:43 pm) • slinger (Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 pm) • antonio66 (Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:14 am)

SteveS57
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveS57 »

I really enjoyed the show, great to meet up with many friends too.
Roll on the audio talk meet up on the 22nd
These users thanked the author SteveS57 for the post (total 3):
savvypaul (Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:44 am) • Lindsayt (Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:14 pm) • CycleCoach (Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:40 pm)

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Nice to meet you at the show Paul. I was so excited I forgot my name, which is also my childrens names!

Lots of good sounds. Was very impressed with the digital Vs vinyl room, I didn't think I would be. It was the first time I could hear a distinct, no, a very distinct difference.

I liked ' Dave's' room too. Oh and....
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:14 am) • Lindsayt (Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:28 pm)
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

ArloFlynn wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:05 am Nice to meet you at the show Paul. I was so excited I forgot my name, which is also my childrens names!

Lots of good sounds. Was very impressed with the digital Vs vinyl room, I didn't think I would be. It was the first time I could hear a distinct, no, a very distinct difference.

I liked ' Dave's' room too. Oh and....
Really good to meet you. Been missing your '3 before bedtime' thread.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/