Great Britain

Re: USB Cables

Unread post by antonio66 »

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:21 pm
nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:15 pm Plan B might be to make my own, I currently have no idea how easy this is but I will start to do some basic research.
I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with that, I have never even opened up a USB cable.
Please take this with a pinch of salt because all I have done so far is look at schematics. USB 2.0 cables look straight forward enough however USB 3.0 at first glance look to be more challenging but I have made increasingly sophisticated RCA interconnects and speaker cables so I guess if I put my mind to it I could produce something useful for a lot less than $400/500. To get my streaming rig going I will still buy a pair of USB cables because if nothing else I have something to do an A/B comparison with if/when I get around to making my own.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Big thanks A66 for your cable links, they are very interesting, I am going to dig further in to these over the next few days.
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:19 pm I'll vouch for the AQ Carbon. WireWorld Starlight 8 is another decent cable.
Cheers Paul, there are a few deals around on Wireworld USB cables and I led to believe there will be more next month so I am going to try and stay on top on this
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
slinger (Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:08 pm)

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

antonio66 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 am ^^^^^^^^
And you haven't even picked out the best copies NK, tis easy to see that many of those examples linked to are copies and I don't believe they are trying to deceive anyone with those, but maybe this seller's stock might fool more than the odd person https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 424bn6f9zu
If I had the money, there are a few cables I would like to try, given good feedback from customers, here's one but not much feedback
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... Seller&scm

Another company who I believe make value for money cables https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-Audi ... -USB-cable
That is true, I was on my lunch break and had limited time to make my post. There are Cardas clones with packaging that looks authentic from what I can see in an ad. Scary stuff. The problem is it does tempt you, because you wonder if its really OEM production that is being produced after hours, as this is a tactic known to happen in Chinese production facilities. It preys on your thoughts that you are buying the OEM product at a price that is more aligned with actual production costs. But is that really true? Or is it really just a copy? If so, when you buy Cardas on the used market how do you verify you are getting an OEM cable or is it a clone?

Speaking of USB cables, I have the Wireworld Starlight 8 here and have just run it in for a couple of weeks. Its a good sounding cable that is modest in price to a lot of what is out there. Wireworld dealer will tell you its an improvement over the previous Silver Starlight 7 cable and is less expensive, but I have my doubts. I have one run of Silver Starlight 7 here, and I believe it has a higher degree of transparency than the Starlight 8. I would like another length of it if I can find it at a reasonable cost.

Several years ago I had a Pangea USB cable here, I believe I got it when I obtained my first Mac Mini. It was a substantial cable with nice fit and finish, and sounded pretty respectable as I recall. I owned it for 6 months and it just failed. Stopped passing signal. Don't know what was wrong with it, and its not like I abused it or moved it around a lot. So into the trash it went and I moved on to the Wireworld cables. Hopefully that was a rare failure, and that current offerings are well built, as I have no idea what happened to that one.
These users thanked the author Neonknight for the post:
antonio66 (Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Having been reading another forum on usb cables a couple of interesting suggestions came up which I've never heard of, so a bit more digging to do NK :grin:
https://stordiau.com/collections/cables ... s-oil/Oils

https://www.highendcableshop.eu/