I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

Re: I Found A Table To Put The Dynavector DV505 Tone Arm On

Unread post by Neonknight »

OK I decided to go a different way. I figured this was my last table, so lets buy something really cool! I agreed to buy this.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9j ... sting=true

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Serious !!! :clap:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

There's no photo now, at least for me, but here's a link with a shot http://www.scheu-analogue.com/turntable ... fwerk-no2/
Very nice NK, I've never heard one of these, and you know what they say about German engineering

Neonknight

Hit the Buy Now button on Audiogon Friday, have not heard anything regarding payment yet and its Monday. Perhaps the buyer does not do business on the weekend, which is quite possible. But its Monday now, and should be open for business, although some shops are closed on a Monday. I will give this 24 more hours and then I am done I guess.

Might have to move to Plan B and buy a Denon DP80 in the DK300 plinth from Unisound on Ebay. Not what I had hoped to do, but a solid second choice.

Neonknight

Well I was in contact with the seller on Monday evening, and on Tuesday I made payment for the table. It is now a matter of waiting for funds to clear and then UPS is going to schlep this table to me. I figure its going to take 7 to 10 days till it arrives. Its going to be a bit of a job wrestling it into place, apparently weight is 38 KG, so for old people such as myself in the US we would call it darn near 80 pounds. A bit heavy for a turntable.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I can relate to that, just bought myself a new small milling machine which weighs in at about 50 kg. I need to rearrange my work area to get it installed, but i am not looking forward to getting it onto the bench.
Just getting the crate in was a pain in the arse, and that was using a sack barrow. Lifting it onto the bench can only be done the hard way
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Fingers crossed UPS can get it to you safe and sound

Neonknight

So while waiting for the Scheu table to deliver I figured I needed a little project to keep me occupied. I also figured I wanted a cartridge for casual listening to keep the hours off my good cartridge.

I have had the opportunity to own a fair amount of moving coil cartridges, as a general rule I buy them and listen, and keep the ones that really move me. There have been a few vintage moving coils that I like, but for some reason or another did not keep them. I am a swine of modest means, so sometimes when I want something new and exciting I gather up the extra audio stuff and sell it off to fill up my audio kitty for that new toy.

Recently I acquired an Ortofon MC200 and this is a cartridge I have owned before. I remember thinking it was respectable but not really a wow moment. But I wanted a cartridge for casual listening to keep the hours off my main cartridge so I grabbed this one again. I installed it on a Zupreme headshell with stock cartridge wires, and while this is probably too much mass for it, its what I had at the time. I got the pleasant but a bit unexciting presentation, but I also had a bit of low level hum. So I swapped in some silver litz cartridge wires I had recently bought, and that did the trick. No noise, and more open presentation. I am enjoying this cartridge, and even as we speak its playing at this moment.

This led me down memory lane and thinking about the vintage moving coils I have liked in the past, and in some ways wish I still had here. I enjoy listening to the Denon 103M which reminds me a lot of the Denon DL304. But the output voltage is .12 mV, and also the Fidelity Research MC202 with an output voltage of .13 mV. These are tough output voltages to work with, but I wonder if the low number of coil windings is what contributes to the wonderful sound of those cartridges. At that time you likely had to use step up transformers. In my case I have an Esoteric E-03 phono stage that can handle those low voltages.

The Ortofon MC200 is even worse with an output voltage of .09 mV. But it uses some pretty snazzy technology for a cartridge this age. Boron cantilever, fine line nude (line contact) stylus, samarium cobalt ring magnet, and Ortofons WRD damping system which is still found on their higher level cartridges today.

Thanks for taking a trip with me down memory lane. Some of these cartridges are getting hard to get ahold of, and I imagine not every one of them will age well. Also, they still don't match my better cartridges, but that doesn't mean that they are not a nice cartridge to own. You can achieve pretty respectable sound quality IF you have a way to deal with these very low output voltages.
IMG_20210617_213137__01_resize_51.jpg
IMG_20210617_213137__01_resize_51.jpg (55.5 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
IMG_20210617_214529__01__01_resize_54.jpg
IMG_20210617_214529__01__01_resize_54.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
These users thanked the author Neonknight for the post:
antonio66 (Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:16 am)

Neonknight

Table shipped today!

antonio66
Great Britain