Aesthetics

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Aesthetics

Unread post by CN211276 »

I think beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder where hifi is concerned. I like simplicity and black, NVA being very much up my street. Apart from my streamer and its PS, which are silver, all my geer is black. Not too much of a issue as I cannot see it from the listenig position. I also like small boxes and have a lot of them in the digital chain. Opinion is divided about the multi coloured light buttons on Chord geer, but I like them and prefer it to knobs. I do use the dim settings though.

I think the most hideous looking hifi is in the silly price bracket, notably speakers. Some of those at the Munich show look like they are from the set of curse of the mummy. :lol: On a smaller scale Wave cables look like a highly venemous snake. Rather appropriate as anyone who buys them has been bitten. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:55 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

What i like from the way 'things' look is symmetry if at all possible, a form follows function approach to the way it looks, nothing unnecessary (vu meters are unnecessary imo unless on a tape deck where they are needed) and an uncluttered interface.
If there are a row of controls, put them in a line, dont have one or two at different heights. That drives me nuts.
Lines that flow into others.
Tidy design.
If there is no need for a light, dont have one

When i build things, i have an almost ocd approach to having matching measurements (eg, the edge of a plinth to the edge of a motor unit distance on the left MUST be the same as the distance from the furthest right hand point of the arm to the right hand edge or it drives me up the wall), and proportions must look right, and materials must be used for a reason, not just because they look nice.
Everything must be in balance, structured, angles need to match, and it should look like its supposed to be the way it is. And concentric if circles.

I have some peculiarities..... and ocd......

Oh and shiny unless its perspex or glass, i.e its supposed to look like that is a big fat no for me.
Hate it. Matte or brushed finish for metals is better for me.

Look at things like a ferrari 250 gto or an e type, or an avro vulcan. Or an english electric lightning, mig 15 or the mclaren mp4/4

They look 'right' to me for want of a better word

But its all relative as its all in the eye of the beholder
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:42 am Perhaps what has been lost is the tactile quality of analogue. But it has to be the right kind of tactile, nicely weighted dials to rotate, smooth slick to operate switches, reassuring mechanical clicks, an actual physical feeling of what you are doing. If things feel cheap and nasty it ruins it

Computer based audio leaves me cold and uninterested, perhaps because there is nothing to fiddle with. Going into a menu with a mouse or touchpad, or poking a stubby finger at a touchscreen has no tactile quality at all.

The reassuring clunk of r2r controls, the care needed to thread a tape and get it onto the take up reel properly so it doesnt catch the inside of the reel, the slight feeling of impending disaster while hand cuing a record if you have the wobbles on from too much coffee.

These things are simply not there with the way alot of products are designed these days, with a minimalist approach to aesthetics that drives the iphone generation of product design. The smooth shiny buttonless black slab approach that has not changed in nearly 20 years. This was driven by a need to make the technology as easy to access as possible to the consumer, so anyone could operate it regardless of their understanding of what it did and how it worked, but became an aesthetic choice once it became ' how its done '

Give me some controls that feel nice to use rather than a black screen to poke at and a remote control that will get lost. And implement this with some flair so whatever it is doesnt look exatly the same as the next one in the shelf, and ill be happy. Engineer something rather than design by committee
Even though that's not my thing I totally get that train of thought. The interaction with the kit was something I once appreciated, now my tactile interaction comes from "tweaking" my kit however for my tastes playback is best at arms length.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm What i like from the way 'things' look is symmetry if at all possible, a form follows function approach to the way it looks, nothing unnecessary (vu meters are unnecessary imo unless on a tape deck where they are needed) and an uncluttered interface.
If there are a row of controls, put them in a line, dont have one or two at different heights. That drives me nuts.
Lines that flow into others.
Tidy design.
If there is no need for a light, dont have one

When i build things, i have an almost ocd approach to having matching measurements (eg, the edge of a plinth to the edge of a motor unit distance on the left MUST be the same as the distance from the furthest right hand point of the arm to the right hand edge or it drives me up the wall), and proportions must look right, and materials must be used for a reason, not just because they look nice.
Everything must be in balance, structured, angles need to match, and it should look like its supposed to be the way it is. And concentric if circles.

I have some peculiarities..... and ocd......

Oh and shiny unless its perspex or glass, i.e its supposed to look like that is a big fat no for me.
Hate it. Matte or brushed finish for metals is better for me.

Look at things like a ferrari 250 gto or an e type, or an avro vulcan. Or an english electric lightning, mig 15 or the mclaren mp4/4

They look 'right' to me for want of a better word

But its all relative as its all in the eye of the beholder
Big plus 1 for me on this 👍
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I wonder how much our early experiences of kit influence our feelings on this subject?
When I was young we had the home radiogram which was basically a substantial piece of furniture with speakers. It had valve amps, a radio and a turntable, and it sounded lovely.
In due course this was replaced by the ubiquitous "music centre" which, on reflection, was rubbish. In its own way, though, it was pretty exciting to listen to because I could borrow all my mate's LPs and tape them.
My only experience of audio equipment back then was a walk through Curry's or Dixon's or maybe a look through their catalogues.
I didn't even know "hi-fi" existed really, but I thought maybe the dearer stuff would sound better. The only access I had as a lad was to look at stuff next to its price rather than critically listening to it. All that clever stuff came much later.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post (total 2):
slinger (Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:32 pm) • karatestu (Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I love the look of this all in one system. The Cambridge Audio Evo75.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/e ... evo-75

Tomorrow's hifi today :roll: Love the big knob :shock: and wood side cheeks. £1799. If I was in the market for class D amplification and a simple one box system this would be at the top of my audition list.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am I love the look of this all in one system. The Cambridge Audio Evo75.

Tomorrow's hifi today :roll: Love the big knob :shock: and wood side cheeks. £1799. If I was in the market for class D amplification and a simple one box system this would be at the top of my audition list.
A display screen is defunct, to me, as I would much rather use my phone app.

Wood side cheeks? The '70s are making a comeback!
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am I love the look of this all in one system. The Cambridge Audio Evo75.

A couple of thoughts:
Wood making a come back is fine with me but Teak is out of favour so it wouldn't match my 30+ year old furniture.

Class D amplification is all about power output but in a domestic situation you don't need those power levels, my 140W Quad 707 never really gets above idle, if it did the neighbours would be around very quickly. It can be used as a source via the pre-out but then it is an expensive source. If you are happy with Class D amplification and the need for a separate pre-amp for your other sources, go for it. However big brother, at £2249 offers a phono input .

To my mind it has to look as good when switched off as it does in use, which this does.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I won't be going down the class D road as I remember what Doc used to say about it. I am very happy with my nva amplification. The heatsink barely gets warm at the levels I listen at. I have even swapped out 350VA toroids @35-0-35 V to 100VA EI transformers @ 25-0-25 V and prefer it.

I am too old fashioned to actually purchase one of the Cambridge Evo's. I just like the way it looks and the outward simplicity (it won't be simple inside - a sea of surface mount components and switch mode psu's I would think).

Landfill when it goes wrong ?
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The Doc had no use for Class D. Apart from the sound what was inside in no way justiified many of the prices.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc