Speaker stands for cube 3s

All general audio posts go here.
tweet_my_ribbon

Speaker stands for cube 3s

Unread post by tweet_my_ribbon »

I'm considering getting dedicated stands for the cubes. Currently they're sitting atop an armchair (open sided wooden framed 1970s Ercol) and a beanbag (with a pillow underneath the speaker for extra height) :evil: :shock: Side by side as I don't care about stereo imaging, and about 50 cm away from the wall. They are at the same height though. I'm not totally mad.

The sound being produced is great, so with proper stands I know it would bring more focus, which is a good thing.They're about 35cm above the floor currently. Could do with being a bit higher but no higher than 60cm. Oh and I listen from another room mostly. Never do the sitting in front with a sweet spot thing any more, as I flit about too much.

Any ideas are welcome for stands. Base of cubes- 230 x 235mm, tiled concrete floor with carpet.

Wonder what RD would say about my current speaker placement ? :Bllocks: !
These users thanked the author tweet_my_ribbon for the post:
karatestu (Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 am)
NVA amps, speakers, interconnects & speaker cables produce the music.

With help from Technics, Audio Technica, Jelco, Hana, Musical Fidelity, Sony, Cyrus & Soneteer.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Re: Speaker stands for cube 3s

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I think that RD would probably say something like “if it works for you then that’s all that matters”. I would certainly say the same thing. My opinion on your speaker placement is worthless as I do not have to live with it.

If you do go down the route of dedicated stands then I can certainly recommend a pair of oak stands. Lots of choice on ebay. I use a pair with my cube 3s and have been very happy with them. Mine are hollow so they can be filled with sand, ball bearings, gold bars etc but I’ve never really felt the need - it could be an inexpensive upgrade.

For me, the best part of RD’s philosophy was that it pays to experiment. I learned a lot from this and would suggest that you “mix it up a bit” and see what happens. You might come across something which is a nice surprise. Having said all of this, somebody else might come along with different advice which could be significantly better than mine.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

tweet_my_ribbon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:47 pm I'm considering getting dedicated stands for the cubes. Currently they're sitting atop an armchair (open sided wooden framed 1970s Ercol) and a beanbag (with a pillow underneath the speaker for extra height) :evil: :shock: Side by side as I don't care about stereo imaging, and about 50 cm away from the wall. They are at the same height though. I'm not totally mad.

The sound being produced is great, so with proper stands I know it would bring more focus, which is a good thing.They're about 35cm above the floor currently. Could do with being a bit higher but no higher than 60cm. Oh and I listen from another room mostly. Never do the sitting in front with a sweet spot thing any more, as I flit about too much.

Any ideas are welcome for stands. Base of cubes- 230 x 235mm, tiled concrete floor with carpet.

Whereabouts are you Tweet? For some reason, I seem to think you're North East. In which case, I can probably find a set to lend you, if you pop in and pick them up - to compare to the Ercol.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
antonio66 (Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:34 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Here's a few stands, I like the Custom Design FS106 but there are cheaper options and they do come up for sale 2nd hand.

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/furniture/speaker-stands

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

tweet_my_ribbon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:47 pm I'm considering getting dedicated stands for the cubes. Currently they're sitting atop an armchair (open sided wooden framed 1970s Ercol) and a beanbag (with a pillow underneath the speaker for extra height) :evil: :shock: Side by side as I don't care about stereo imaging, and about 50 cm away from the wall. They are at the same height though. I'm not totally mad.

That post is one of the most refreshing I have read about audio at home. Just goes to show that there are many ways to enjoy listening to music not just the one we are told we must in order to qualify as an audiophile. I find semi omni sounds great from another room. I might try putting the speakers together like you :shock:

Sorry can't help with the stands advice.
DIY FREE ZONE

tweet_my_ribbon

@ savvypaul - I'm in South Lincs, near Cambs border so too far. Thanks for the offer.
@ stemcor1990 - I have looked at oak stands years ago but forgot about them. Now that you've reminded me I may go that route.
@antonio66 - The custom design stands are now on my short list.

Thanks chaps, food for thought.

The UKs most comfortable loudspeakers ?

Attachments
20210331_104257.gif
20210331_104257.gif (166.05 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
These users thanked the author tweet_my_ribbon for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:17 pm) • CycleCoach (Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:26 pm)

With help from Technics, Audio Technica, Jelco, Hana, Musical Fidelity, Sony, Cyrus & Soneteer.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

What a magnificent photo.

I can see a bullsh*t product line in the making for the marketing men. Energy absorbing pillows and beanbags.

Tweet, patent the idea and make a fortune !!!

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Saw the Ercol in two and move each half outward for optimum stereo effect?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

If you like the bean bag effect, you could try these: 50mmH, 40mm W x 40mmD:

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/pdp ... 1002541997
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

tweet_my_ribbon

The Cube 3s are now sitting on stands. Sturdy oak built by customspeakerstands on ebay. Looking good and has freed some space. gone is the bean bag and the chair is now a chair again.

Being closer to the wall has slightly increased the low frequencies/bass. Due to the concrete floor being slightly uneven near that wall the right speaker is slightly leaning to the right. Included with the speakers are decent spikes which are adjustable, so one day I'll experiment.

My listening is done at the lowest point on the dial (1/2 a mm above 8 o clock) I find this still fills my home with music Yes it means the full decibel delivery is being throttled but the detail is all there.

Currently playing 'high art' film soundtrack. Nice.
cube3.gif
cube3.gif (396.05 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
These users thanked the author tweet_my_ribbon for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:42 pm) • antonio66 (Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:38 am)