ASR and the rise of the intelligent idiots

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: ASR and the rise of the intelligent idiots

Unread post by karatestu »

Wonfor14 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:35 pm
antonio66 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:11 am They like you on HiFiHaven Stu! - Really they'll just think of you as another eccentric Brit, why do you think they let Colin have his own room :lol:
Because I am a old fart....................oh excuse me. :teasing-blah: :angelic-grayflying:
I got bored of hifihaven so haven't been back. Do you spend much time there Colin ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Gmanuk101
Great Britain

Unread post by Gmanuk101 »

I can't take ASR seriously really as they do not take any contextual information to hand. like 1) is the kettle on the boil 2) is is a cold damp day or a nice warm day as some sound doesn't like it when the weather isn't clement. 3) The various viscosity of ear wax. sorry to seem a bit silly here, but they started it.
Boxes That Make Things Louder: NVA BMU, M300 Monoblocks x 2, P50se passive pre, NVA Phono 2
Fast Digital Abacus: Bluesound Node 2i (transport), Soncoz SG1
Disc Spinning Device: Technics SL1200-G, AT-VML760, AT-13g shell, KAB Damper, 5mm Funk Firm Mat.
Magic RCA Cables: NVA TIS, SSP MKII (digital & stereo), BlueJeans, Rhodium.
The Sound Cables: NVA LS6

karatestu
Great Britain

I don't generally look but I followed a link a while back about toroid versus EI transformers. It seems even objectionalists can't agree. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 am I don't generally look but I followed a link a while back about toroid versus EI transformers. It seems even objectionalists can't agree. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've not thought about the advantages and disadvantages of the various types of transformer since apprentice days, that was 46 years ago.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
Wonfor14 (Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:41 am)

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

No I spend little time all forum unless I have little to do, Hifi Haven I only joined because my cousin is on there and she is has mad as me.
There are some nice guys there too.
Sorry Murph you not mad just insane, oh and she has NVA kit.

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:35 am
karatestu wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 am I don't generally look but I followed a link a while back about toroid versus EI transformers. It seems even objectionalists can't agree. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've not thought about the advantages and disadvantages of the various types of transformer since apprentice days, that was 46 years ago.
I do a job fit for purpose either low impedance and maybe hum for toroidal or massive size and high coupling capacitance for EI or use a C core, low cap and high cost and big.
Or go for a 1MHz Full bridge resonant PSU design small sin wave output and complex and using current double circuits, the best I did was at 97% Eff. And RAD Hard. Just a 1KW, small 6inch x 4inch x 0.75 inch raw silicon on ceramic substrate and the winding and former through the substrate, bloody complex. Before the FETS regain drive energy circuit it was only 92%. If I can my notes I post it up.

BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Unread post by BadgerBeerIsBest »

Look its like this, I am a carpenter this is my hobby, I am well out of my depth with all of you very cleaver people on this forum, although I have never felt 'talked down to' which is a credit to you all.
I have got a big pair of PMC speakers (PB1i), four drivers, transmission line and worst of all a fourth order crossover straight from the devils workshop. You have planted the seed that my music could sound better through different speakers.
Clearly just listening to the sound and liking them (which I do) it is not enough I also need to account for my amps requirements (a80 Mk3) so how do I come up with a short list of speakers to listen to with out reference to some sort of specifications first.
If all the loudspeaker manufacture's use the same method of measurement whether it is flawed or not that should be a starting point that they could all be judged by.
So for a layman like me what am I looking for sealed enclosure, ported, T/Line. and what of the specifications provided should I be looking at.
Thanks.
These users thanked the author BadgerBeerIsBest for the post:
karatestu (Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:51 pm)
Don't gas my Badger........it's not Lager..!

karatestu
Great Britain

BadgerBeerIsBest wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 pm Look its like this, I am a carpenter this is my hobby, I am well out of my depth with all of you very cleaver people on this forum, although I have never felt 'talked down to' which is a credit to you all.
I have got a big pair of PMC speakers (PB1i), four drivers, transmission line and worst of all a fourth order crossover straight from the devils workshop. You have planted the seed that my music could sound better through different speakers.
Clearly just listening to the sound and liking them (which I do) it is not enough I also need to account for my amps requirements (a80 Mk3) so how do I come up with a short list of speakers to listen to with out reference to some sort of specifications first.
If all the loudspeaker manufacture's use the same method of measurement whether it is flawed or not that should be a starting point that they could all be judged by.
So for a layman like me what am I looking for sealed enclosure, ported, T/Line. and what of the specifications provided should I be looking at.
Thanks.
I would advise sealed enclosure. Something with a simple crossover ie not many components or even none if you can find suitable examples. I like the semi omni approach (up firing mid bass, forward firing tweeter) but not everybody does.

As you are a carpenter I would think it relatively easy for you to make a lovely baltic birch ply enclosure of your own to suit. There are suitable drivers available which could enable you to do something like the Cube's of old. They would suit your nva amplification down to the ground. Or wait for Paul & Tomasz to bring the new nva speakers to market.

P.S If you are happy with what you have got don't let the ramblings of others influence you.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
CycleCoach (Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:36 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

BadgerBeerIsBest wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 pm Look its like this, I am a carpenter this is my hobby, I am well out of my depth with all of you very cleaver people on this forum, although I have never felt 'talked down to' which is a credit to you all.
Thanks.
If you like your speakers, then they're good as it's only your ears that matter.
Don't feel like you need to change because of what's said here or anywhere.
Since you are asking I will tell you what I think, as Stu already has, and others will if you ask. These opinions are what our ears have told us.
My preference is for a sealed box and a simple crossover (capacitor & resistor on tweeter only.) To me this gives a clearer window in to the music, because the signal from my amp has had less done to it before it gets to your ears.
I own a pair of Cube 1s (upwards firing 8", tweeter on the front) which very much follow this mantra. I love 'em!
Further to this I'm currently buggering around with a nondescript pair of Realistic speakers (2-way) and I've tried different crossovers over a number of weeks. I currently have just a 3.3mF capacitor and 15ohms of resistance on the metal-dome tweeter, and that's it. This sounds better to me than all the other ways of doing it. I've proved it for myself, and maybe in the process taught myself to listen better. Stu has been tweaking his kit for ages, and is coming from a far more informed place than me, as are the majority of regular posters on here, but anyway that's my tuppence worth.
Keep enjoying your music mate.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:24 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I loved my first girlfriend. Not so much now.
Your appreciation of something to is dependant upon experience.

If it were me badger I would buy vintage cheap of eBay. Listen and figure out were you go next. Sell and repeat.

I would recommend infinite baffle and in particular wharfedale dovedale.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:25 pm)