Ethernet RF filters

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Ethernet RF filters

Unread post by Fretless »

I see that Uptone Audio have also launched an audiophile network switch called the 'Etherregen'

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Fretless wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:58 am Looking a bit closer. Thr LANrover is a 2-stage device that firstly reformats the data into an ethernet stream for transmission to a reclocker which then returns the signal to USB for input to the DAC.
As ethernet transmissions are better suited to longer cables this means that the source device and audio system can be placed a considerable distance from each other.
Copper based ethernet is typically guaranteed up to 100 metres. Assuming it's not run in a deliberately stupid way right next to something like the motors of a load of milling machines or lathes.
Although it's not like you get to 99 metres and it works fine and then at 101 metres it stops working. I've seen copper connections that were longer than 100 metres that worked fine.

Fibre has various standards.
For multimode fibre the guaranteed distance may be as short as 300 metres.
For single mode fibre, which has thinner light conducting cores than multimode, the guaranteed distance may be as long as 70 kilometres.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Fretless wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:58 am Looking a bit closer. Thr LANrover is a 2-stage device that firstly reformats the data into an ethernet stream for transmission to a reclocker which then returns the signal to USB for input to the DAC.
As ethernet transmissions are better suited to longer cables this means that the source device and audio system can be placed a considerable distance from each other.
I took a look at the other units offered by Uptone and Schiit, they do not seem to be the same type of unit. More of a pure filter. I believe PS Audio felt that converting to ethernet and then returning to USB with a new clock signal offered an improvement in sound. My experience was that it worked well, although I have read other posts where the person did not feel the same. So YMMV. I guess my question is there anything equivalent, so far all I see are the commercial units. If so, why would the OS matter with these components, which is supposedly why the LANRover would no longer function and was discontinued. If that truly is the case, as some things are never what they seem.