Curtain change

All general audio posts go here.
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Curtain change

Unread post by TheMadMick »

The curtains in my "music room" were in a terrible state and I'd been thinking about replacing them for quite a time. They are in the bay window behind my speakers. So when a free pair came up in Freegle (think freecycle), I put a bid in and got them. They are really good quality, heavy and lined.

Yesterday, I finally got off my but and put them up discarding the old ones and apart from a few fractured rail clips (which will be replaced when the new ones arrive later this week) it was a success. All I need now it to get my other half to adjust them to length.

So, as usual, I sat down last night to listen and to my surprise 3 things happened:

a) the stereo separation improved - like going up to one better cable in the range
b) rather piercing female vocals lost their hard edge, e.g Nora Jones, Elkie Brooks. And I thought it was the speakers!
c) the bass got a lot more articulate - and I thought it was pretty good already!

One of the cheapest upgrades I've had in years! Happy days.
These users thanked the author TheMadMick for the post (total 3):
savvypaul (Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:23 pm) • slinger (Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:29 pm) • Lindsayt (Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm)
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Curtain change

Unread post by savvypaul »

Heavy, natural fabric and lined - perfect.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Hmmmmm... NVA curtains... in black, naturally.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Latteman (Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:05 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The william morris curtains in the hifi room are very heavy and lined. Can't say I notice a difference when drawn or closed.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Congrats on your curtain upgrade Mick.

As for NVA curtains, well that would be an area where Pauls satorial expertise would come to the fore. I can see it now, earnest discussions on the relative merits of Harris tweed curtains versus silk velvet :grin:
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
savvypaul (Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:38 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

My system seems to sound slightly better when the curtains are drawn. They are of medium thickness to the side and about a metre away from one speaker. The other window is a patio one, the length of the house away, and does not have curtains.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:46 pm Congrats on your curtain upgrade Mick.

As for NVA curtains, well that would be an area where Pauls satorial expertise would come to the fore. I can see it now, earnest discussions on the relative merits of Harris tweed curtains versus silk velvet :grin:
Talking of furnishings, my mate was recently attacked with an upholstery gun. He's now fully recovered.

Harris Tweed would certainly be a good absorber. Stale urine was originally used as part of the waulking process, to fasten the dye and soften the cloth. It's said that, on a damp day, the House of Lords reeked of it.

Black and gold silk-velvet curtains might be a clash with most schemes...unless you can get Peter Andre round to decorate.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
slinger (Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:15 pm) • NSNO2021 (Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:40 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

In the spirit of Hi-Fi dealers everywhere, surely you could buy up some blackout curtain "seconds," iron a logo onto them, and resell them at three grand a pop, or five grand for custom sizes? :lol:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
savvypaul (Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:22 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

NSNO2021
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:20 pm In the spirit of Hi-Fi dealers everywhere, surely you could buy up some blackout curtain "seconds," iron a logo onto them, and resell them at three grand a pop, or five grand for custom sizes? :lol:
Russ Andrews would offer them with cryogenically treated curtain rings, pure silver hem tape and a unique sound diffusing weave and convince you he was doing you a favour in only charging you £7,500 a pair :whistle:
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:56 pm
nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:46 pm Congrats on your curtain upgrade Mick.

Harris Tweed would certainly be a good absorber. Stale urine was originally used as part of the waulking process, to fasten the dye and soften the cloth. It's said that, on a damp day, the House of Lords reeked of it.
I don't think you put the blame entirely at the doorstep of Harris Tweed, when the subsidised bars are open 24 x 7 and most of the "members" are borderline demented, incontinent old farts :lol: