Speaker stands

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Speaker stands

Unread post by karatestu »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:22 pm I wall mounted my jpws.

Things I learnt

Make sure the wall will take the speakers, preferably a brick wall .
Use long enough plugs and screws for the weight
Don't have any adjustability in the platform you are attaching to the wall. It will be a source of weakness and defeat the point.

It was a very good solution
Excellent advice thanks. No adjustability makes sense for the reasons you state.

I would have to find the ideal placement and then make the mounts to suit. I even thought about removing the mortar between the bricks to a suitable depth and inserting the mount into that.
DIY FREE ZONE

Keithh
Has thanked: 0
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

I wall mounted my Cube 1s in my last house. This was more to make sure they didn't get knocked as this was in the main living room. I think I broke all the 'rules' so they were higher than ear height in the corners of the long side of the wall with a chinmney breast in the middle. The mounts were adjustable so the were toed in and down. they sounded great anywhere in the room but particularly sweet in the middle against the opposite wall. I have moved and yet to get them back in operation due again to a challanging room and do miss them. Work in progress with my old B&Ws back in use for the time being.
These users thanked the author Keithh for the post:
karatestu (Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:13 pm)
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

karatestu
Great Britain

Keithh wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:02 pm I wall mounted my Cube 1s in my last house. This was more to make sure they didn't get knocked as this was in the main living room. I think I broke all the 'rules' so they were higher than ear height in the corners of the long side of the wall with a chinmney breast in the middle. The mounts were adjustable so the were toed in and down. they sounded great anywhere in the room but particularly sweet in the middle against the opposite wall. I have moved and yet to get them back in operation due again to a challanging room and do miss them. Work in progress with my old B&Ws back in use for the time being.
Thanks for your input Keith.

Wall mounting may be a viable option then :dance:

It would certainly be better for me from the perspective of (a) not having three legs near the down firing mid bass (b) they can't be knocked over so no centre of gravity issues (c) any vibrations are sunk into a very high mass construction that won't vibrate like a suspended floor (not that I have earth shaking amounts of bass or play very loud) (d) even less imposing visually as the speakers appear to float.

Feel free to p*ss on my bonfire.
DIY FREE ZONE

Keithh
Has thanked: 0
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

It would certainly be better for me from the perspective of (a) not having three legs near the down firing mid bass (b) they can't be knocked over so no centre of gravity issues (c) any vibrations are sunk into a very high mass construction that won't vibrate like a suspended floor (not that I have earth shaking amounts of bass or play very loud) (d) even less imposing visually as the speakers appear to float.
I have toyed with the idea of suspending them from the exposed ceiling joints, the weight of the Cubes should take care of any vertical movement as it would be on axis with the base driver. Something to ponder for the winter I think.
These users thanked the author Keithh for the post:
karatestu (Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:26 pm)
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

karatestu
Great Britain

Keithh wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:20 pm
I have toyed with the idea of suspending them from the exposed ceiling joints, the weight of the Cubes should take care of any vertical movement as it would be on axis with the base driver. Something to ponder for the winter I think.
Nice idea but if that was in my house they would probably get used as a swing :lol: If you ever do it then please let us know how you get on. :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE