Speaker stands

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Speaker stands

Unread post by karatestu »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:25 pm Some Harbeth owners use these: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/oddvar-sto ... -20249330/

These could also be adapted: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/nilsolle-b ... -10462123/

3 leg would be better, though...
I like the smaller IKEA pine stool but I would have to chop 5 cm off the legs. Also would have to cut a hole in the top for the down firing driver.

Today I screwed on some 3 cm x 2 cm lengths of wood to the sides and front of my cubes which act as legs and removed the 3' square lengths of fence post I had been using. They were not attached in any way . I have noticed an improvement which I think is due to less wood in the way of the output from the down firing driver.

That is mainly what is behind my thinking at the moment and what drew my attention to the hairpin legs. Very little material for diffraction and a round profile to allow those luscious sound waves to slide around :lol: . Not base plate or top plate to worry about and they are easy to attach. Plus I really like the look of them (and the price).

Still not decided but seriously considering three of these hairpin jobbies per speaker(along with other options).
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I showed my wife a pic of hairpin legs to see her reaction. She no likey :shock:

Wood it is then :lol: (she likes it the traditional way).
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 pm
karatestu wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:20 pm Thinking about levelling, the underside of the leg could be drilled and tapped for 6 mm threaded spikes maybe.?
Think that one through again Stu, the leg section is 12mm and you propose to drill a 5mm hole in it and tap for M6, that doesn't leave much room for error. You will have just 3mm either side of the hole, there won't be much meat left.
Doh, I wasn't thinking was I :doh:

Found some spikes with a 4 mm thread which is more like it :dance:
That sounds more like it.

karatestu
Great Britain

This article is interesting. https://www.stereophile.com/features/806/ There is no one size fits all.
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

The idea of using "legs" to form the inside corners of birch ply cabinets seem to me to be the best option, should it suit you. Stand mount or floor standers does it matter that much if you get the sound You Want? As for not being able to adjust the "interface" between speaker and stand this would still applies to floor standers, with one exception you don't have to adjust/compensate for speaker to stand, stand to floor, just speakers to floor. I have both setups and they are equally important IMO . Good luck :epopc:
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:55 pm The idea of using "legs" to form the inside corners of birch ply cabinets seem to me to be the best option, should it suit you.
Suits me sir :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:55 pm The idea of using "legs" to form the inside corners of birch ply cabinets seem to me to be the best option, should it suit you. Stand mount or floor standers does it matter that much if you get the sound You Want? As for not being able to adjust the "interface" between speaker and stand this would still applies to floor standers, with one exception you don't have to adjust/compensate for speaker to stand, stand to floor, just speakers to floor.
Interesting concept, using the legs to for the corners of the cabinet. Does this amount to a floor standing speaker with the bottom 1/3 open? Certainly there is only one interface, with the floor, not two and it would appear from Stu's linked article that the interface/s matter. Not that I have any intention of changing anything but I wonder how the plastic bases of my Tannoy Six stand mounted speakers affects the sound? The stand is a metal section, filled with dry sand, on a composite base with a metal top plate through which the speaker is bolted. Never having used the speakers without the stands I haven't investigated what effect they have. I also have a pair of the same speaker on wall mounts, again never used without them. My main speakers are floor standing NAD 60s, about which I know little, that have had spikes added, the spikes definitely made a difference.

Now, the NAD speakers are conventional boxes rectangular cross section, the Tannoys are hexagonal section, why is it that the vast majority of speakers are simple boxes? Years ago corner reflex cabinets were popular and some plastic PA speaker cabinets are more interesting shapes. I think we can forego discussion on tripod stands and metal versus plastic top hats.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:42 pm)

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Boringly I have a number of stands for my arcams and cubetts which have been acquired over the years. For sure the difference is marked on witch I use. The cubetts definitely prefer the sand filled Atacams were as the arcams love the open frame stands, this also changes with what you put between the speaker and stand. After much playtime my dynaudio floor standers work best with spikes removed on concrete slab direct to carpet. Trouble is they are a bit wobbly and you have to be careful around them, kids a definite no no. I suspect none of this helps but all I can say is build the speakers, and as you well know the journey starts again :grin:

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:23 pm
Ordinaryman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:55 pm The idea of using "legs" to form the inside corners of birch ply cabinets seem to me to be the best option, should it suit you. Stand mount or floor standers does it matter that much if you get the sound You Want? As for not being able to adjust the "interface" between speaker and stand this would still applies to floor standers, with one exception you don't have to adjust/compensate for speaker to stand, stand to floor, just speakers to floor.
Interesting concept, using the legs to for the corners of the cabinet. Does this amount to a floor standing speaker with the bottom 1/3 open? Certainly there is only one interface, with the floor, not two and it would appear from Stu's linked article that the interface/s matter. Not that I have any intention of changing anything but I wonder how the plastic bases of my Tannoy Six stand mounted speakers affects the sound? The stand is a metal section, filled with dry sand, on a composite base with a metal top plate through which the speaker is bolted. Never having used the speakers without the stands I haven't investigated what effect they have. I also have a pair of the same speaker on wall mounts, again never used without them. My main speakers are floor standing NAD 60s, about which I know little, that have had spikes added, the spikes definitely made a difference.
Hi Geoff.

In my case it will amount to a floor stander with the bottom half being open (if you include my little tweeter pod in the overall height). Having the legs being the corners of the cabinet complicates construction a little but not by much. Have to get the height correct before committing to saw dust. :doh:

I just liked the idea for aesthetic reasons and also it removes one interface (stand to speaker). I don't want to make them look like boring run of the mill square or rectangle boxes. :naughty:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:11 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:23 pm
Hi Geoff.

In my case it will amount to a floor stander with the bottom half being open (if you include my little tweeter pod in the overall height). Having the legs being the corners of the cabinet complicates construction a little but not by much. Have to get the height correct before committing to saw dust. :doh:

I just liked the idea for aesthetic reasons and also it removes one interface (stand to speaker). I don't want to make them look like boring run of the mill square or rectangle boxes. :naughty:
I was looking at speakers on the Richer Sounds web site and saw a pair of Warfdale speakers with stands that looked just like what you are thinking (the stands turned out to be separate but they still looked good). I hope yours turn out as well.