Reliable stylus force gauge

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Reliable stylus force gauge

Unread post by Classicrock »

In my experience those £10 Chinese gauges are fine. Only changed batteries once in some years. Look same as the branded ones by Project and others.

This is a really nice gauge but I bought it from Amazon US where it is a lot cheaper.

I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Thanks classic, the first one appears to be exactly the same as both of mine, apart from the Neoteck branding. I have replaced battery's in both twice this last year. Didn't bother with the original one at first as I just thought it was broken. I don't use either every time I play something just when I swop between cartridges ie rebalance arm etc, as I've found the weight markings on my arm are not very accurate, if the gauge is to be believed :grin:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Those amazon scales are available direct from China. Get 3 for £15 one if not all is bound to work.

I've had no problems with mine. To calibrate it use a coin of the realm. The are made to tight weight tolerances.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Oh they work I believe, just the short battery life is my problem. As for coin of the realm, most come with a 5g weight to set. I can only assume you would use a newly minted coin to achieve a good tolerance?

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I accept that the electronic gauges are much cheaper than my balance but I doubt the accuracy required is such that there is any real benefit of one over the other. I have had my balance for over 40 years and it has cost me nothing in running costs. When I looked at Amazon there seemed to be a couple of designs from a huge range of suppliers and then two or three expensive branded products. If I were buying now I would probably just buy the cheapest.