Longdog PSU with Lenco GL75

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

Longdog PSU with Lenco GL75

Unread post by Berty bass »

I've been very happily using my (Vinyl Ant) rebuilt Lenco GL75 (new, lighter weight plinth and Audiomods Series 5 arm) for a couple of months now. So taken am I with it that I'm planning a PTP6 build with the series 6 arm when funds allow. Until then though I'm considering Nick's PSU and wonder if any proud owners - or others who've heard it demo'ed - would care to share their thoughts.
Thanks,
BB

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Longdog PSU with Lenco GL75

Unread post by savvypaul »

I have found that my Garrard and Lenco are much improved when fed by my NVA BMU, so there is some some susceptibility to mains quality. What does the PSU retail at?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Nick showed off his new turntable PSU at a gathering held in Huddersfield at David shop.

Admittedly it was with a Garrard 401, but as soon as it was switched on the improvement was very noticeable, it must have been for me to notice. Others (who I know in person) have tried it with Lenco's and seem suitably impressed.

From memory Paul and Lindsay were also there.
These users thanked the author valvesRus for the post:
Berty bass (Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:36 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

If I was there then I missed the comparison. I imagine it will have been on Dave's 401 that he had at the time during one bake off I was there for, but I dont remember an a/b with and without PSU.

Is it ok to plug into a BMU?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

I have one and have both a GL 75 (modded by Ant) and a 401, both used via my self built BMU, so yes Paul it's fine with one.

All my vinyl is in storage and has been for some time, but using Nick's PSU was a large step forward to my ears. I was at a friend's house with Nick when we first heard the prototype, none of us were expecting it to make the improvements that it did. Granted it's not cheap, but the improvement is worth it to me.

If you contact David he's probably got one he could send for you to try first, or failing that I could send you mine if I can get a chance to get it out of storage.
These users thanked the author Ali Tait for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:19 pm) • Berty bass (Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:36 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

I just looked it up. £895 with an MCRU mains lead included. So I'm assuming about £300 without the mains lead???

;)
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Berty bass (Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:35 pm) • NSNO2021 (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:42 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

Berty bass
Great Britain

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. My only experience of adding an after market PSU to a turntable was when I brought a Rega PSU (original) to go with my - then - Rega P5. I remember being quite taken aback by the improvement, which was probably in the same league as when I changed the stock sub-platter for a Groove Tracer. However, this is about 10 years ago and the memory has faded somewhat since then.

I've contacted Nick about it and he's quite happy to offer a full refund if it doesn't meet hopes/expectations, so there's nothing to lose in that respect, I just trying to get some real life, user experiences so I've got some reference point for what I can reasonably expect. My Rega experience was - if memory isn't playing tricks - that the noise floor dropped quite noticeably. By which I mean the 'background' noise that I never noticed was there until it wasn't!

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

My Lenco benefited when I plugged it into my mains power regenerator. I suspect similar benefits to using a BMU where you are getting a steady 50hz. I think several of the PSU's originally available for Lenco's / 401's were simple regenerators but Nick's with quartz locking should definitely be worth a demo.
These users thanked the author 29mile for the post (total 2):
Berty bass (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:08 pm) • savvypaul (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:11 pm)

Berty bass
Great Britain

With reference to those of you who've mentioned a BMU, I had one on home demo a couple of years back and didn't notice any real difference to be honest.
These users thanked the author Berty bass for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:11 pm)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Your lenco is not voltage dependant. It's runs of 50 hertz. This doesn't fluctuate even though voltage deos.

For 60 years or so lenco's have run happily without the need for speed control.

Not tried the long dog, I will one day, but the above and the price means its a low priority.

I thought about a ptp, but a damped top plate as given no concern, I remain sceptical therefore.